Novel-in-a-Day 2: The Revenge

MONTREE: Don’t worry, I’ll preserve any italics and bold you put in.

I’m nearly there . . . :slight_smile:

Shall I put internal thoughts in italics?

got this too. thanks.

yup, internal thoughts in italics is good.

Just sent mine in.

My day should be considered a future lesson in how not to do NIAD.

I got up at 10am, ready to start. Then I read it, and thought about it, and did everything other than write the damned thing.

I finally started writing at 10pm. It is now 5am, and I have finally finished it and sent it in.

Maybe I just wanted to write it through the same period as you guys in the US would?

Anyway, ignoring the time and how much I am going to pay for that tomorrow, it’s been fun, again.

I found it a bit harder to try to stay consistent this year than last. I think perhaps because there was a lot of technology and secret subplots that I wasn’t privy to when writing, but that my characters would have been.

The inconsistencies are part of the fun, but we can probably spread a little more information - like chapter numbers, and perhaps the outlines of the surrounding chapters - without making it too prescriptive.

Here’s hoping I didn’t single-handedly drag the quality of the novel down!

Regards,
Matt

Mine’s in too. Looking forward to midnight!

Well, I’ve sent my load of tosh in. It went much more easily than I thought, but then I reckon the redoubtable PF has been really kind to me … though the amount of information I got was minimalist. Damn glad I wasn’t in space though, or I’d have been totally lost! As it is, it might be the beginning of a serial for Women’s Weekly!

And no, I don’t know about conventions … italics for internal thoughts … erm … <gulp!>

X

I’m right on target for the word count. Just one more scene to go. I’m wishing I’d had better access to the internet last night at the shindig I was attending last night. Might have at least done some initial thinking on the characters before waking up… 4 hours ago!? Crap. Sorry if I hold everything up. No need for anyone else to feel their section lacked quality; I’m not going to have any time for more than a couple of very minor edits.

Word count is good, in the sense that I have poured enough beans into the pot. I’m not so sure about the other ingredients however. :slight_smile: At least I can fire off something any time now.

Hey Guys,

Just turned in my chapter! I know I haven’t been that active on the forum, but I’ve read what everyone has posted thus far, and I really look forward to the final product.

This is my first time participating in such a…expedition…and I had a lot of fun doing it! My chapter isn’t that long, and I’m not sure as to its quality in comparison to everyone else, but I hope to participate next year if we all do it again!

Thanks to Rog for being the great moderator and compiler and…whatnot!

I hope my chapter meshes with the entire story!

waldo

[credited as Waleed Ovase]

I did get beyond the word count though…thought I should assuage any fears that I didn’t meet the requirements :slight_smile:

Okay, my entry is in - twenty minutes late, sorry about that! I sent it to your email address, so let me know if you didn’t get it. Yet again I was overly long-winded, though, and ended up writing nearly 5,000 words. Most of them unnecessary ones (as usual). Sorry about that.

All the best,
Keith

Okay. 2/3’s down 1/3d to go. This is going so much more easily than last year. Good thing too! I had an appointment yesterday which ran about 5 hours over time. everything is on the back burner waiting to boil over as soon as I’m done with this.

Mine should be in too. (PF?)

I’m short on my entry’s count but I prefer it short, sweet and tidy! I suppose Keith’s 5,000 will make up for my 1,100. :smiley: Would have liked a bit more meat to play with (no pun intended) but am certainly looking forward to the rest of the plot after delivering my section.

V.

Mine’s done. A little short, but it’s been a long week.

I’m glad to hear that other’s have low word counts as well. I don’t think it would have been very interesting to read if I extended my wordcount much further than I did.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and I can’t wait to read everyone’s work.

Oh, and I hope that mine isn’t a complete train wreck.

=)

Mine’s in, word count was about 2400.

Not what I expected to write, or the style I initially planned, but it seemed right for the scene. Of course, with deadlines like this, anything could seem right so I’m relieved to read that others are nervous too.

I can’t remember the last time I waited for the publication of a book with such anticipation. I’m keen to know what happens (especially after the tantalising hints here).

In the meantime though, I think I might go back to bed…

proofing now. a nap is in order once i’m done sending it in, providing there are no snafu’s.

Sorry, off topic, but I wasted at least an hour trying to find how to make Scrivener put a blank line between paragraphs instead of using an indent. I swear I looked at every menu item without luck, and search the manual too.

Can it really be we have no control over paragraph formatting?

Whoops, only put a single # between scenes. Will go fix.

BTW, when I got the assignment I could see how I could POSSIBLY write 1500 words for such a little action piece.

So why is the final count 3900 words? Ans: many many years of training in loquacity by NaNoWriMos.

Oh, and I put a ‘end of chapter’ line at the end you’ll need to delete. Sorry, I’m always nervous about accidentally truncating stuff.