Novel-in-a-Day 2: The Revenge

Drats I dont get to go into space:))
I am tempted to kill off his gf to add some action to my chapter, but am guessing she is around at the end? lol

MATT: for most of the mission there is no communication - the link went down pretty early in the mission. At least, that’s what the crew thinks.

HOMEPORT: Yeah, Emily appears later in the book as well. :slight_smile:

Finally dragged myself out of bed, now sitting on the couch, tea at the ready. I’ve imported the documents into my “Short Shorts” project for short fiction, have read the comments from last night (my time) to now. According to my calculations, I’ve got 5 hours till my soft deadline, but that seems off somehow. I’ll try to pound this out in a couple of hours regardless.

Now off to read the briefs and character sketches. What a wealth of info!

4 hours to the soft deadline of 8PM London.

Yay! I’ve finished! Pigfender, I have emailed my chapter to you, so do let me know if it doesn’t turn up.

I have really enjoyed this. Brilliant fun. Thank you.

One more read through and I will send out my part.

Just sent a barrage of questions your way via email. Didn’t want to spoil anything for anyone. Am now pondering if I will switch between crew & Mission Control POVs, or just stick to MC.

RDG: I’ve just replied.

I’ve sent my chapter! Now I realize I’ve been missing a lot of info by not being here in the forum, drat! Oh well, it’s done.

This was really fun, I’m VERY glad I dared to join this project. It was worth it! Every second!

:)))))))))))) almost done, as last year pigfender this has been great fun for me, even though flu jab this morning, and a growing lump on my arm has tried its hardest to put me off lol.

Thank you for organising this and for all the hard work you yet have to do formatting it.
Regards
Susan

Okay, I have a question. Why is everyone on the crew so short?

There are actually height requirements to be an astronaut, A quick google search just now indicates the range as 5’2" to 6’3" for NASA pilots and commanders, for example. It’s so they can reach all the controls from the seats in the cockpit.

I didn’t know that when I wrote the heights though, I just googled it now.

I picked shorter heights as I figured a lot of astronauts would come from the Air Force. Fast jet pilots have strict maximum height requirements because otherwise you can lose your feet if you had to eject.

At 5’11", I"m often referred to as tall. The mean height of the crew is 5’10", which is only 1 inch shorter than me, a “tall” guy. Admittedly, on my father’s side, I’m the shortest man (they range all the way up to 6’ 7", but my wife’s family (mostly Irish), make this crew look like pro Basketball players by comparison.

Okay all done and sent back to you by email. Now I can have that glass of wine:))

In my first-ever job as a technical author, in a dim and distant past, I was involved in writing the documentation for the ejector seat of a fighter pilot plane. Never mind losing your feet, we were told that you were almost certainly going to die if you ejected from a fighter pilot. I’ve never been overly impressed by ejector seats since then, although my husband maintains that large numbers of people do survive ejections.

oh, piggy dear, just wondering. :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: sorry, couldn’t resist. uhm, i’m toying with sending you both an .rtf file and the scrivener project file. do you have a preference? the scrivener project fill will allow you to drag and drop content. it’s worked for me before between the laptop and the desktop when transferring just the project file via flash drive.

Hey Montrée!

RTF is probably easiest. :slight_smile:

also, did you want indents or spaces between paragraphs? define indents pls if that’s your preference, or how big the pace between paragraphs if block paragraphs are preferred. :smiley:

I’ll be compiling in Scrivener so will be overriding all formatting choices anyway, so don’t worry about it too much, but just so you know, I’ll be using small indents rather than soaces between paragraphs.

Make sure you signifiy any scene breaks that have to remain with a ### sign though.