Novel-in-a-Day 2: The Revenge

Great question! I’ve not worked it out, but much of the story takes place no more than a month in to the mission.

The first chapter is IN!

Over-achiever!

I have written a grand total of 21 words so far. But my complex and extensive procrastinatory meta-data is a joy to behold! :slight_smile:

Well, if you have good meta-data, the rest practically writes itself.

I’m going to sign off for a few hours to get some sleep. Hopefully no-one will have any urgent queries in the meantime that can’t be answered amongst yourselves in public debate!

I picked it up, realised I didn’t have a clue where to begin and decided to sleep on it. Now up, ideas beginning to be dragged kicking and screaming into what passes for a brain, which I’ll mull over on the way back from St Ives to Exeter … then let the fingers do the talking!

:slight_smile:

Mark

I’m finding it easier now that I’ve started writing rather than just thinking about it. Two questions are bothering me:

1. Are we imagining this spaceship to be a regular living environment (like in Star Trek) or are we thinking more along the lines of spacesuits, lack of gravity and food from squeezy bags?

2. Is Morris meant to relay messages to all areas simultaneously, or is there an in-built expectation that different parts of the ship may receive different messages at different times?

Hey all!

Just woke up to my brief and am excited! Have never written in space before. :smiley: (Well, you know what I mean…)

I live in Cardiff, UK but am Dutch, so maybe I qualify for the European contingent?

The ship is in zero-gravity (says so in the crew description) but I’m assuming the lock does its work properly and I’m not having them wear a space suit inside. More like the ISS than Star Trek though, I think.

I think Morris can do both; chatter to specific rooms and emergency notices throughout the ship. I’d keep everything as flexible as possible, makes it easier on you and creates least continuity problems. :smiley:

Have fun people.
V.

I have to admit that I was a bit flummoxed when I saw my brief; both by the topic, and to a greater extent by my particular chapter. I’m getting a bit of a handle on it now though, so all is well.
Reading the various tidbits here has certainly piqued my interest for the end result.

Hope everyone is enjoying NiaD =)

So I woke up at 10am ready to start.

Then a couple of gardeners started shouting outside and didn’t stop for 6 hours.

So I procrastinated and went shopping and fell asleep on the couch and woke up to find a random old episode of Star Trek Next Gen was somehow on repeat on my television, but that’s okay because it was a particularly bad one and anything we write will be better than that…

Now it is 9pm, and I haven’t written a word, so it looks like I will be pulling an all-nighter to get the thing finished.

11 daylight hours gone, zero progress. This is why I don’t think I could handle NaNoWriMo!

Matt

This is bothering me, too. I’m assuming it’s all zero-gravity seeing as the science officer is studying the long-term effects of zero gravity, though, so I guess everyone has to float everywhere and strap themselves to the wall to sleep…

Hi everyone,

I’ve just handed my part in to be included. I was quite intrigued to read the background of my character. I decided to spice her up a bit, as well as add another character. Not telling through, you’ll have to wait and see :wink:

I really enjoyed this, and hope that NIAD 3 will follow next year…

Looking forward to the finished book,
twistedtree

That’s what I’ve gone for, in the end, so I rewrote my earlier section (which was definitely channelling Star Trek or Galaxy Quest). And since the Commander has been to the ISS twice, I’m assuming that it’s fairly modern-day space technology, so all rather cramped and utilitarian.

Do we think that the crew members listed are the only people on board? Or do we have some unnamed extras as well?

Not all of us are in space you know…

I know, I’m jealous. My scene seems quite mundane in comparison to what I am reading here. :wink:

Now I’m intrigued… :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Some questions emerged in my absence:

• yup it’s zero gravity
  • yup they don’t need spacesuits indoors
  • It’s just the 5 man crew (the crew list is complete)

THERE HAS GOT TO BE A (DERANGED, REJECTED WANNABE ASTRONAUT), STOWAWAY ABOARD!! HASN"T THERE? :frowning:

have not recieved my chapter yet

Pigfender I can get this done if you send it to me again now please, I would be so dissapointed not to be taking part again this year