Misc. Bugs & Features

Sp
SpeakerToManagers
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:17 pm Post

I just downloaded the Scapple Beta (Version 0.9) and it's really very nice; not too fat and not too thin, and fairly quick to use for basic brainstorming.

A couple of problems I noticed:
1. After dragging an image into the canvas I can Ctl-Click to get a context menu on the image, but the options in that menu are the same as for a text note, and aren't all appropriate for an image (and they don't do anything useful, anyway).

2. If I drag a multi-line text file onto the canvas and request that it be split into multiple notes (at single-return terminations), the notes are created, but there seem to be some funky associations among them. I tried this with the same file multiple times and got different results: one time I dragged the top note away and ended up with a dotted line connecting it and one of the other notes. Several times while selecting the notes in succession an adjacent note in the group would disappear; it turned out to be underneath the selected one.

3. We could argue if this is a bug or a feature: when dragging a note that's connected to other notes, the moved note follows the mouse, but the connectors and the connected notes stay put until the drag ends. I think this looks a little odd.

One feature request: I'd like to be able to drop an image on the canvas and have it be surrounded by a note, so I can add text, like a caption or note, that will travel with it.

Thanks for the chance to bang on this beta, it's fun.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:34 pm Post

Thanks for testing!

With (1), aren't the inappropriate commands greyed out?

2 - this almost sound like some deleted notes have had their internal IDs remembered and the new notes have taken them on, which is weird. Could you please provide reproduction steps?

3 - I don't understand. When you drag, all of the selected notes being dragged onscreen get shown as being moved. Off screen ones don't because there's a bug in OS X whereby if the drag image size gets to big then it doesn't show up at all. So Scapple has to limit the dragged notes shown in the drag images to those currently on screen.

4 - I think that would be too presumptuous, and you can easily add a note under it by selecting it and hitting cmd-return.

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Sp
SpeakerToManagers

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:13 pm Post

1. Apply Note Style is not grayed out, and selecting Red Text causes the image to get a little larger, which seems odd. I thought before that Border options weren't working for images, but they are, so that's OK and the Note Style submenu is the only active but inappropriate option.

2. I'll try to give you a concrete test case or two a little later today or tomorrow

3. I'm expecting all the notes and connectors that are moved by a drag to rubber-band with the cursor movement, and they're not. When the drag ends, all of the affected objects snap to their new location. If it helps, I'm on OS X 10.8.2 on a mid-2007 MacBook Pro 15" laptop.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:21 pm Post

SpeakerToManagers wrote:1. Apply Note Style is not grayed out, and selecting Red Text causes the image to get a little larger, which seems odd. I thought before that Border options weren't working for images, but they are, so that's OK and the Note Style submenu is the only active but inappropriate option.

Apply Note Style is appropriate for images, too, as it can affect border width and colour and suchlike. It would be expensive to grey out all styles that are inappropriate, so they are all available. Not sure why red text caused the image to get bigger - it should have done nothing, but it might have removed the border - so I'll check that.

2. I'll try to give you a concrete test case or two a little later today or tomorrow

Thanks!

3. I'm expecting all the notes and connectors that are moved by a drag to rubber-band with the cursor movement, and they're not. When the drag ends, all of the affected objects snap to their new location. If it helps, I'm on OS X 10.8.2 on a mid-2007 MacBook Pro 15" laptop.

Duplicates of the dragged notes should appear as ghost notes that move with the cursor. The notes don't actually move until you let go, but you should see ghost versions of the notes that do move, like this:

If not, then I wonder if you are encountering the OS X bug I mentioned whereby the drag image doesn't always get drawn; I thought I had worked around this. Does it happen even if you drag only a single note? Could you possibly take a video showing the issue (you can use QuickTime to capture the screen)?

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

mi
michaelbywater

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 pm Post

Do you think the OP might mean that the CONNECTORS don't move during dragging? Because they don't for me, either. Just the notes. The connectors reappear when you end the drag.

Doesn't bother me, I must say. Tinderbox has a similar thing (only "ghosts" one of the notes when you drag a bunch of them) and it's been like that forever--

<drivel>
-- an' yez don't hear ME whining, I remember when NOTHING ghosted when you dragged it. And you had to have a little dwarf stoker round the back. You could have a day out and an bread sandwich and your gall bladder out, and still have change for an umbrella if you knew who to have a word with, them were t'days etc ooof better sit down it's me heart ent it, doctors is baffled. BAFFLED.

Night night yez BASTARDS Ah'd punch you all in t'funnel if Ah still had us strength.

</drivel>

(Well I think that's lowered the tone enough for one day.)

KB
Site Admin

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:23 pm Post

michaelbywater wrote:Do you think the OP might mean that the CONNECTORS don't move during dragging? Because they don't for me, either. Just the notes. The connectors reappear when you end the drag.

The connectors between notes that are being moved should move as part of the ghost drag image, but not connectors between notes that are being moved and notes that aren't being moved, if that makes sense.

<drivel>
-- an' yez don't hear ME whining, I remember when NOTHING ghosted when you dragged it. And you had to have a little dwarf stoker round the back. You could have a day out and an bread sandwich and your gall bladder out, and still have change for an umbrella if you knew who to have a word with, them were t'days etc ooof better sit down it's me heart ent it, doctors is baffled. BAFFLED.

Night night yez BASTARDS Ah'd punch you all in t'funnel if Ah still had us strength.

</drivel>

:shock: Is it crunch time on that latest book, by any chance?