Scapple Beta - New Users Please Read

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:35 pm Post

al3x wrote:Right now if starting from a note you create multiple new connected notes in a specific direction these are all completely overlapping.

Do you mean when using Notes > New Connected Note > On Left/Right etc?

Thanks!

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 pm Post

Kalus wrote:I know you're looking for bugs over feature suggestions, but it would be handy to let the canvas zoom in and out with the Mouse wheel, with a modifier. Perhaps holding the CMD key would let the canvas zoom?

Okay, I've added this for the next beta - you hold down the Option key.

Also, is there a way to center type within the bubbles when you're typing? It looks strange to see it left aligned.

No, there are no plans to support text alignment - the idea is that you place the text where you want it, instead.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:07 pm Post

djaneb wrote:I know it is feature ready - just want to ask about possibility of "Distribute - Vertical/Horizontal" as you already have the "Align".

Okay, I've added this for the next beta.

All the best,
Keith

shorn

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:11 pm Post

Hi,

Bug hunt: The spell check options are grayed out for me:

spellcheck.jpg
spellcheck.jpg (17.86 KiB) Viewed 3441 times

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:14 pm Post

I didn't see mention of this in KB's notes, nor in any of the previous comments.
But it seems that Scapple won't open my old Vellum notes. :(

I have several dozen .vllm files, but they are grayed out in the Scapple Open dialog.
Is that the price of early adoption?
May I convert .vllm files to some other format?

I notice there's an Export command (bravo) but no Import.

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:25 pm Post

shorn wrote:Bug hunt: The spell check options are grayed out for me...

Someone else pointed this out and I fixed it earlier today. I'll upload a new beta in the next couple of days, thanks.

I didn't see mention of this in KB's notes, nor in any of the previous comments.
But it seems that Scapple won't open my old Vellum notes.

Oops, sorry, I should have mentioned this. All that's changed is the file extension, so all you need to do is change the ".vllm" extension in the Finder to ".scap", and after that your old Vellum files should open fine in Scapple.

All the best,
Keith

shorn

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:33 pm Post

Undocumented feature?

Double-click on a connecting line, and a new note will be create in the middle of it:

new-note-in-line.jpg
new-note-in-line.jpg (20.27 KiB) Viewed 3437 times

Ze
Zettt

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:46 pm Post

KB wrote:(If I didn't hate the word "brainstorming" so much, I'd probably call it brainstorming software.)

Keith, I'm sharing your emotions with that word. I don't want to have a storm in my brain. That doesn't sound very pleasing.
I'm going to check out Scapple though. If I have useful feedback I make sure to send it your way.

Cheers,
Andreas

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:46 pm Post

Double-click on a connecting line, and a new note will be create in the middle of it.

Help > Scapple User Guide. :) The guide is only half-finished, but this is in there under the section on notes.

ri
richardnagel

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:54 pm Post

Keith, I use that same big piece of paper. Sometimes I move sticky notes around on it. For software, I've tried Freeplane for mind mapping. Unfortunately, it makes everything into a tree from one root. Looking forward to playing with Scapple. Thanks.

pa
paulblakeman

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:33 pm Post

I just want to say how much I love this software!

My only request would be the ability to have user defined styles or themes, like those available in textmate?

KB
Site Admin

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 pm Post

paulblakeman wrote:I just want to say how much I love this software!

Thanks!

My only request would be the ability to have user defined styles or themes, like those available in textmate?

What do you mean? You can already set up note styles via the Format > Note Style menu. Is that not what you're after?

All the best,
Keith

al
al3x

Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:38 am Post

KB wrote:
al3x wrote:Right now if starting from a note you create multiple new connected notes in a specific direction these are all completely overlapping.

Do you mean when using Notes > New Connected Note > On Left/Right etc?

Exactly.

A://

ri
richardnagel

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:19 am Post

I am confused about whether I can use the keyboard to move from note to note. Sometimes the arrow keys take me to a linked note in the expected direction. Sometimes they don't, even if there is only one linked note to move to.

fl
flodi

Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 am Post

KB wrote:Once Scapple is out of beta-testing, we will sell it both via our own site and via the Mac App Store. (The Mac App Store version will support iCloud - only Mac App Store apps can do so.) We haven't settled on a definite price yet, but I'm thinking that it will be around $10 or just under. If you have any strong feelings about the price, you can let us know by starting a thread in the Beta Testing forum, but note that we can't afford to give it away (which includes prices such as $5 :) ).

I think around $10 is really a very good price. From what I've seen in the beta, at $10 I'd buy it right now: where is the buy button? :-)