1.2.6 Scrivener for Linux Released (NOT LATEST)

RPM Version

Any update on the qt thing? :frowning: I still can’t open Scrivener at all.

Woohoo!

I found something that worked. I took the lead from cellfourteen on page 3 of the thread on the 1.2.5 release. He mentioned running lsof while Scrivener was running (I saw it best when I was running Scrivener under Unity (I am on Ubuntu 12.04, but wanting to run under KDE)). It was wanting to access libQtDBus. And the only one available was the one from kde not from scrivener/lib.

So I found a version of 4.8.0 for libQt (libqt4-dbus_4.8.0-1ubuntu10+patches_i386.deb) from
launchpad.net/~francisbrwn9/+ar … ld/3280048

I then just used dpkg-deb --extract package directory_for_extraction

Then navigated up the tree, copied the 4.8.0 lib to the /usr/share/scrivener/lib, created a couple soft links as cellfourteen talked about and voila. It worked in KDE.

At least someone can run it. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work in OpenSuse. :frowning:

Ok. I’m using Ubuntu 12.04. A downloaded the deb file and installed it. I went to Painel Inicial (Inicial Panel??? I don’t know the name in English) and found Scrivener in search. I click it, nothing happens.

Someone knows what am I doing wrong?

EDIT

Trying command line

alexandre@ubuntu:~$ Scrivener
/usr/bin/Scrivener: 2: /usr/bin/Scrivener: /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: not found

I went to /usr/share/scrivener/bin and tried to run Scrivener. Nothing happens, but the file exists.

Does it start if you do “./Scrivener” within the Scrivener directory? Sounds like you need to edit your PATH.

Thank you for your answer. What happens is that:

alexandre@ubuntu:/usr/share/scrivener/bin$ dir
accessible graphicssystems phonon_backend scrhashsum
Aspell iconengines reportdmp Scrivener
bearer imageformats resources sqldrivers
codecs inputmethods rtfi Tutorial.scriv
alexandre@ubuntu:/usr/share/scrivener/bin$ ./Scrivener
bash: ./Scrivener: Arquivo ou diretório não encontrado

The last line translates as “File or directory not found”

Funny thing. I installed a game (Limbo) and I saw “libqtsomething” beeing installed together. Now Scrivener runs normally.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Limbo’s a good game. :slight_smile: (I also test for Humble Bundle.)

Cooooooooool

I uninstalled Limbo and ran “sudo apt-get autoremove”. A lot of the pachages from Limbo install were gone, but Scrivener still runs normally.

As I don’t have a list of all packages that Limbro required, I am unable to find out what exactly was that fixed Scrivener.

It could’ve very well been some sort of path or library path variable being tweaked, or it could’ve run ld.so.conf or something to add new library paths.

Hey cool. Just noticed you can import mp3s and video files now. :slight_smile:

garpu, you are right.

I made a clean Kubuntu install and tried a lot of sh and bin files (mainly from HIB :slight_smile: ) and none of them worked, with the same error. All of them worked fine after I installed Limbo.

The script in the other thread is working for me now. :slight_smile: Though it can’t find the templates but I hardly use them anyway.

“sudo apt-get install ia32-libs” solves this problem.

Thank you very much!

Thank you, lemke0.

When Scrivener is offered for sale to Linux users, I will gladly pay. I have bought Apple and Windows versions.

Rockin’, thanks. Two minor things that are–for practical purposes–non-issues, but that you might want to be aware of, are that when installing over 1.2.5, it still says, “Same version is installed,” indicating that the internal version number in the .deb file is still 1.2.5, and that the expiration date still shows as July 31, 2012.

Again, not that either has any practical effect–Just thought you’d want to know.

From this I would guess you have forced Scrivener to run under KDE?

Could you tell me how?

Thanks, Bwdjai

Try opening a terminal and running Scrivener like this:

unset QT_PLUGIN_PATH Scrivener

You might need to change the Scrivener line to point to where your Scrivener is located.

If it works, it looks like KDE’s environment variables are interfering with Scriveners version of QT’s variables.
A quick fix would be a script that starts Scrivener by running those commands (what I’m doing), a better fix would be to have Scrivener (un)set a bunch of environment variables at launch (but it’s been a long time since I’ve done any programming so no idea how easy that is to do in KDE).

Rod

Thanks Rod, that didn’t help.

I had a developer friend take a quick look and happy that he managed to fire it up I left contented.

However, if I try to open a file, other than one I have saved, Scrivener exits.

By saving a file and then changing the name of my exisiting.file to the saved.file name I have manage to open and continue to edit my original manuscripts. I can then open a ‘recent file’ which Scrivener knows all about?? :confused:

This is not the end of the world and in fact I am happy just to have it back running.

Hopefuly someone will come up with the definitve answer in the meantime as I really do like KDE ande do not want to go back to gnome just for this … :wink: