Taskbar Right-Clicking

So, I haven’t had much to say about Scrivener lately, but I’ve recently had this request/suggestion at the back of my mind so I figured I should make a post. I don’t remember if this is a thing with prior editions of Windows, but in Windows 7, right-clicking a taskbar program icon brings up a rather handy menu. Part of this menu for programs like Word and Chrome involves displaying recently opened documents/tabs. When I right-click Scrivener, however, the menu is underwhelming.

I would love love love to see Scrivener incorporate a recent documents list into the taskbar icon, as it would be so much more convenient. As it stands, shifting between several different projects is kind of a pain. I don’t know if anything like this is in the works but if not, I definitely think it should be considered.

It’s called a ‘jump list’, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/jump-lists

This would be very handy, but may qualify more as a feature request than feedback?

It sure would! However, I had no idea the forum finally got a wish list section. I’m used to seeing these kinds of suggestions in feedback.

We’ve always had a Wish List section. :slight_smile: There has been some confusion over the fact that it is there for all platforms though, and so located at the top level of the forum and not as a sub-forum to a particular platform. We’ve added aliases as subforums now, so that people looking Win/Mac and clicking on Wish List there, end up going to the main Wish List at the top.

Anyway, moving this topic now. :slight_smile: This is a good suggestion, and in fact I’d say the only reason it isn’t there right now is for lack of time.

Always, really? I recall when Windows beta first rolled out, we were told we didn’t have a wishlist forum yet. Perhaps I’m mistaken, then. In either case, this feature would be super super convenient so I hope sometime in the future, there’s time to implement!

Well, always in the sense that when we launched Windows officially there was a universal Wish List forum for everyone to use. The original statement still stands, there is no Windows specific wish list forum—nor is there a Mac specific one for that matter. The reasoning for that is: most of them are not terribly platform specific—this one definitely is, but most are procedural or feature level requests, and since the Mac version is the one breaking the ice for the Windows version for now, it makes sense to audit these centrally.

Gotcha. I was referring to back in the dark days of beta. I haven’t poked around the forums much since official launch, so I totally missed the feedback section. But now that I know it’s there, I plan on making more requests! You guys are awesome, though, and I really can only think of the one I already posted.

I’m so glad I’m not the only one interested in this feature! I just discovered Scrivener this last NaNo and I love it! Even got my best friend hooked on it when I posted a screen shot on my blog. :smiley:

However, I usually have a few files going, since Scrivener has taken over for my old notebook-to-jot-ideas system. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the “jump list” since I used it a lot with Word writing papers and taking notes for school. I miss it when I go to use Scrivener and want to change projects quickly. Especially when I spaz and forget I changed projects on my laptop, but not my desktop, and have a minor panic attack when the old project loads and I expect the new project. :laughing:

Oh good, someone else who is desperate for a jump list! I made a similar request on twitter and was told how to use the “switch projects” feature. Uh, clearly, I know how to do that. That doesn’t help me with jump lists at all. I really hope it’s implemented in some future release because switching the long way is tedious when juggling 3-4 projects.

You can just pin the individual project .scrivx file to the Scrivener taskbar icon. That way, when you right-click the icon, you have your pinned files right at the top of the jump-list. Is that what you’re talking about wanting?

A caveat to this method is that you must rename each .scrivx file to something recognizable, or every pinned project will simply be called “Project”.

No, not pinning. Jump lists are automatic. That’s what I’m talking about.