A few data entry problems

ko
korm

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:10 am Post

This is regarding the version 1.0 demo downloaded today. A few problems entering dates.

Here, the cursor won't go in the year field - either by tabbing, or clicking into the field, or using the right arrow. It seems if I close the entry panel and wait a bit, then I can edit year. But if I change it to something other than 1948 (why 1948?) the entry snaps back to mm/dd/1948. (FWIW, the timeline start date is set to 1950.)

Here, for the Inspector panel for the same entry, day is missing and I can't access that field to edit it.

ma
matt

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:25 am Post

Hi,
Thanks for the report.

Out of interest, what date format do you have it set to?

It might have disallowed moving out of that field if it is set to Day/Month (because 17 is an invalid value for month).

Bring up Preferences in the Aeon Timeline menu (Cmd - Comma shortcut), and see what the setting is.

Ur
Ursula

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 am Post

I jump in here:

If an event is locked, I can't move it on the timeline. But I' m able to change the date in he inspector. Is this intended behaviour?

locked event.png
locked event.png (23.02 KiB) Viewed 2090 times

ma
matt

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:27 am Post

Ursula wrote:I jump in here:

If an event is locked, I can' move it on the timeline. But I' m able to change the date in he inspector. Is this intended behaviour?

locked event.png

It was intended behaviour, yes.

Changing event dates in the Inspector is a pretty deliberate action, compared with accidentally dragging them with the mouse.

Although, I can see an argument for locking it in the Inspector as well. Might see what the general consensus is.

Matt

Ur
Ursula

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:38 am Post

The problem is, if I change the date by mistake in the inspector (and this happens easily, for me) the locked event changes it's position on the timeline. But I locked it, because it's one of the events which shouldn't be moved. Let's call it a dilemma.

ko
korm

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:43 am Post

matt wrote:Out of interest, what date format do you have it set to?

Well, I'm seeing the problem no matter the format set (Day/Month or Month/Day) for values < 12 that would be valid in either format. In fact Aeon seems to be confused as to which format is set.

ma
matt

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:01 am Post

Hi,
There are two different settings. One is a global preference that affects the date picker control.

Separately, in Timeline Settings, you can set the date format (from a much larger range of options) for what you want displayed on the timeline itself.

Unfortunately, the two different settings can be confusing, but plenty of users want that flexibility. I will try to do something to make it clearer in a future update though.

The other part appears to be a bug though.

- Are you seeing this behaviour consistently with this file, even after you quit and re-open?
- Is it consistent behaviour, or does it seem to take some time to re-occur?
- If you start a new timeline file, does the problem re-occur there also?
- What Mac OS version are you using?

If a particular file does seem to be doing it repeatedly, it may be useful for you to send the file through to me (if the data is not sensitive), along with instructions for how you are reproducing it. I will then be able to take a look at it in the debugger.

My email is support (AT) scribblecode (DOT) com if you want to do this.

Regards,
Matt

ko
korm

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 am Post

matt wrote:Are you seeing this behaviour consistently with this file, even after you quit and re-open?
- Is it consistent behaviour, or does it seem to take some time to re-occur?
- If you start a new timeline file, does the problem re-occur there also?

Yes. Yes. And, Yes.
What Mac OS version are you using?

I installed v1.0 over an older beta from several months ago, but I'm not sure when. I'm going to remove all of Aeon and install v1.0 fresh with the new license I just bought (thanks for the discount!).

ma
matt

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:26 pm Post

Hi,
It definitely sounds like something is up with your machine then. I haven't seen anyone else reporting anything like this - particularly not with such regularity.

It may be good if you could send a sample file through to me, and I will see if there is anything about the files that could be a cause.

One other thought - what localisation settings are you using? There has been a bug in the past based on number formats.

Ur
Ursula

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:30 pm Post

Strange things happen, I have the same problem now. With the file I sent to you because of the wrong weekdays. This file has been closed and reopened some hours later. The dates in the inspector were changed, impossible to adapt them.

Pref System Default.png
Pref System Default.png (39.21 KiB) Viewed 2066 times

When I changed the Preferences to Day/Month the Day remains empty.

Pref Day Month.png
Pref Day Month.png (38.72 KiB) Viewed 2066 times

Closing and reopening the file solved the problem in my case.

I use a German Mac OS 10.6.8 and 10.5.8. The Date/Time Preferences are identical on both machines:

Time Date Formats.png
Time Date Formats.png (33.61 KiB) Viewed 2066 times

I'm afraid of the data change after closing and reopening the file. Could there be a problem because I opened the file on the other machine? The file is stored in my Dropbox folder and has been closed correctly. (By the way, I encountered no data change with the 'repaired' file you sent me.)

EDIT: I have to correct myself, same problems with the file you sent me. Just wanted to answer your Email, opened the file and tadaaa... dates in the Inspector are changed. :-(