Aeon Timeline Version 0.9 (Final Beta)

ma
matt

Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:36 pm Post

I have just uploaded version 0.9.1, which fixes many of the bugs reported in this post, as well as several I received via email.

Aside from any further bug fixes for further reports, the only likely changes between this and the first commercial version will be adding in licensing etc. for AppStore and a direct sales option.

(Although, I may sneak a final minor addition or two in during the process).

Thanks,
Matt

Spitfire31
Platform: Mac

Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:00 am Post

Yes! The age toggle bug is buried and I'm happy to report that the obscure glitch (granted only apparent on somewhat obscure System configs) that precluded zoom and scroll positions to be recognised on relaunch is also fixed in 0.9.1. Impressive work!

/Joachim

Spitfire31

Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:27 am Post

matt wrote: I may sneak a final minor addition or two in during the process.

Here's a humble (sort of) request for what should be a very minor addition:

For the Manage Entities drop down, in the Associated Events list, I'd really appreciate another column, in addition to Age, with the associated date for each event!

Preferably with an option to select the resolution – year, year/month or year/month/day, etc.

Best,

Joachim

ma
matt

Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:18 am Post

I have just uploaded version 0.9.3, which does the following:

• Events can be added with the filter on (they will automatically assume properties of the current filter).
  • Fixed a potential crash while editing dates in the date picker.
  • The era can be selected by typing the first initial into the date picker now.
  • Tabbing in date picker has been fixed up.
  • When synchronising with Scrivener, more flexibility has been added to required date format (provided the order of year, month and day is still correct)

There are one or two isolated crashes that have been reported to me once from the 0.9.x betas that I have not been able to resolve. I will continue to try to reproduce those crashes, so if anyone is able to get any crashes or, even better, consistently reproduce a crash, please do click the button to send through the crash reports and include as much detail as you can.

As soon as those last couple of crashes are resolved, I will add the licencing for the AppStore and online sales, and code for a trial version, and the application will be ready for commercial release.

Regards,
Matt

Spitfire31

Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:22 am Post

Must feel great to have actual launch in sight!

Can I hope for that Date column in addition to Age, in the Manage Entities drop down Associated Events list in version 1.01, perhaps?

Best of luck with the launch!

/Joachim

ma
matt

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:27 am Post

Spitfire31 wrote:Must feel great to have actual launch in sight!

Can I hope for that Date column in addition to Age, in the Manage Entities drop down Associated Events list in version 1.01, perhaps?

It's on the list of things to look at - probably depends how long it takes me to find anything else.

The end is in sight... but the bugs just won't repeat themselves for me, which makes it very difficult to solve those last couple of issues.

Incidentally, I have sporadically seen the date picker change to a 0 value for day or month when using up/down arrows. If anyone can find a way to consistently reproduce this behaviour, I would be very grateful, as it has been very sporadic so far for me (and in fact, not even reported by anyone else).

Matt

ma
matt

Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:44 am Post

I have just uploaded version 0.9.5, which fixes a few reported crashes, a few minor bugs in exporting, and adds the ability to import data from a text file (see the inline User Manual for further information).

The main reason for this update is to extend the expiry date by a couple of months to give me time to get together a website, support forums etc. in preparation for the official release.

Barring any unexpectedly large bugs, I expect this will be the final beta release, and the commercial release will be completed some time before April.

Regards,
Matt

Spitfire31

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:28 am Post

And there's now a Date column in the Manage Entities window! Thank you, Matt!

Best,

Joachim

ma
matt

Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:54 am Post

Oh yeah, that too... did it a few weeks ago and forgot all about it!

jtranter

Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 am Post

Thanks for the most recent version, Matt.

One thing I would like to see is a scratchpad integrated into the program, for making rough notes and so forth, like the one in Scrivener. Would that be possible, one day?

Thanks again,

John Tranter
John Tranter
2010 iMac, 4Gb 1076 MHz RAM, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown Cherry switches) keyboard (Clicketty click!)

ma
matt

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:43 pm Post

Hi,
Sorry, I thought I had replied to this earlier in the week but obviously I hadn't.

Technically, adding something like a ScratchPad to record general notes shouldn't be too difficult. But I have never used that feature of Scrivener, so I will probably need to play around with it a bit to get the interface right.

Again, it will be post-1.0, but I have added it to the list.

Matt