An interesting problem with Wine & product registration

Well, yesterday I installed the windows 1.0.3 bêta under Wine, and this time the registration worked.

Hm. Will try that next then!

Well that didn’t work. Now it crashes every time it tries to register (“The program Scrivener.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close,” etc.)

Reverting to previous…

What about the 1.0.3.2 beta? That has a test of the offline activation function; it might be unstable though—which is why it was removed initially.

1.0.3.2 was what I tested. The problem is it always tries to start the online activation, and instead of giving a success or fail message it gives a “hey I’m going to crash now” message. Then it crashes. :slight_smile:

Well at least it is polite about it. :wink:

I just had this issue, as well. (Something got corrupted in my .wine dir, so I zapped it and started over.) Keep the 1.0 version around–that installed and registered without an issue for me. Also make sure you have vcrun2005 installed via winetricks. (In other words, I’m not sure if it’s registering a later version that’s the issue or that I installed vcrun2005.)

Edit: thinking about it, I bet you do need vcrun2005. I know WoW used a custom version of one of those libraries, and the winetricks version royally screwed up patching. So I’m thinking that it’s kind of the inverse of the problem I was having with WoW. Scrivener probably uses the msvcr80 provided for registration, like WoW needed the custom version (which winetricks overrode.)

Short answer: install vcrun2005 via winetricks and see if that fixes things.

Disclaimer: I know shit and shineola about windows programming beyond knowing which things get broken when you tweak them.

Installed vcrun2005, but that didn’t fix the problem. I just installed the new 1.0.3 version and I get the same problem.

I don’t actually have a 1.0 version of Scrivener. The earliest I have is 1.0.2. That will run, at least.

garpu, I don’t suppose you can think of any other resource I need to install on winetricks in order to get this to work, can you? I may just need to backup the whole prefix and start from a clean prefix and go from there. 1.0.3 just crashes over and over and over and over…

I don’t think it’s you. I could register version 1, but I can’t do 1.0.3. It just crashes over and over. I installed version 1.0 and then upgrade.

We’ll see…need to reinstall wine. something in the C++ got corrupted.

There are a few hits on google for the latest release on wine… speculation that there’s a regression in the latest version that is causing conflicts when dx9 and .net are installed through winetricks.

Oh lovely. I use .NET a lot over with Steam. Are they suggesting to roll back to 1.3.32?

Y’know, screw it. I’m rolling back to 1.3.32.

I rolled back to 1.3.28 and activation worked on 1.3!

So I think it is a 1.3.33 problem. When I find a deb for 1.3.32 I’ll move back up to that, but… I’m relieved!

Wow, interesting.

Any ideas how to submit this as a wine regression issue? I’ve got a page for Scrivener already:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p … &iId=12274

Edit: if you do upgrade to 1.3.32, can you try to register Scrivener? I’ve already done 3-4 registrations this week due to the corruption weirdness I was experiencing.

What I’m trying now is to put it on a CrossoverOffice bottle. I haven’t had a lot luck with CXOffice in the past but the last time I tried was back in the beta days when wine still had those dll dependencies. If CXOffice will run Scrivener now I’ll be tempted to leave it there and bring wine back up to 1.3.33.

So it seems to run exceptionally well in CXOffice 10.2.0. I’ll even go so far as to say that whatever customizations they do vastly improves font rendering–which, prior to 1.3.33 in wine, wasn’t really bad to begin with. Anyway, just throwing that out there. CXOffice even has an entry for Scrivener as a community-supported application, though it does still state that you need to provide those dlls (even though you actually don’t, since I didn’t, and it installed without any issues.)

At this point I feel pretty comfortable saying that the error that keeps crashing the 1.0.3 version of Scrivener has to do with either a new feature added to or a regression in the latest version of Wine (1.3.33).

I say this because when I backed out of 1.3.33 and ran 1.3.28 instead, Scrivener 1.0.3 installed and ran without any problems (and it automatically updated and registered properly as well). Also, when I installed it in it’s own Bottle in CXOffice (which also uses an earlier version of wine) it installed without any difficulties and runs just fine there too.

I’m going to just leave it in the CXOffice bottle and make that my primary Scrivener install for now, that way when wine continues to update I won’t have to worry about it randomly breaking Scriv. I use vanilla wine mostly for games anyway. :slight_smile:

Eep! See, I go away for a while, and not only do new problems arise, they get fixed. Damages a guy’s ego, y’know?
:wink:

Yeah, I’m setting up WINE right now (Been distro-hopping.), but yeah, I noticed that the last time I updated it, all the fonts–even the MS fonts I installed via winetricks–looked like hell; they were barely readable. I have heard, however, that a workaround for this is to uninstall the MS core fonts from your actual Linux system. Because apparently WINE goes for those first now, or something, before looking at the ones actually installed in WINE. No idea if this is accurate, and if it is, it seems like a fairly strange bug, but some guy says he fixed his ugly font-rending by doing just that.

Actually, it’s a wine registry thing.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/getting-pretty-fonts-with-wine/15792/1

I would not advise using 1.3.33 just yet, though. Try 1.3.32 or below.

bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=625

Whoah, Nelly. That’s a game-stopper for Scrivener. I wonder if it’s an issue in 1.3.33, where it wasn’t in prior versions? Old bug, though.