Scrivener 2.2 for Mac Now Available

Hello all,

Just to let you know that Scrivener 2.2 is now available for download. This is a free update for all registered users of Scrivener 2. It is recommended that you update from whatever version of Scrivener you are using because many bugs have been fixed and 2.2 contains many refinements, including:

• Improved custom meta-data. Custom meta-data now gets its own pane at the bottom of the inspector (instead of the cramped area in the middle) and can be viewed in composition mode and QuickReference panels.
  • Inspector comments and footnotes can now be dragged to new locations in the text.
  • You can now assign document templates to folders, so that whenever you create a new document in a folder (e.g. by clicking “+”), a new document based on a template will be created instead of a blank document (previously you always had to use New From Template to create new documents based on templates). To assign a document type to a folder, use Documents > Default New Subdocument Type.
  • Roman numerals can now be used for page numbers in Compile (using the <$p-r> or <$P-R> tags). These can be used for different numbering on front matter pages, for instance.
  • Exported Kindle e-books now default to opening after any front matter (e.g. when using Go To > Beginning on the Kindle).
  • An “Advanced Table Options” pane has been added to Compile which allows you to stitch together tables across multiple documents - this is mainly useful for documentary formats, which use one long table. A new documentary project template has also been added.
  • Added “New Picture From Camera” and “New Audio Note” to the Project menu under a “New Media File” submenu. (Leopard and above only.)
  • Improved VoiceOver support.
  • Many other refinements and bug-fixes.

You can find a full list of changes here:

literatureandlatte.com/scrivChangeList.php

To download Scrivener 2.2, follow the instructions below - please note that the instructions differ depending on whether you bought directly from our site or from the Mac App Store.

#### 1. UPDATING TO 2.2 FOR THOSE WHO BOUGHT DIRECTLY FROM OUR SITE ####

• Select “Check for Updates…” from the Scrivener menu within Scrivener itself and follow the on-screen instructions.

Or:

If you have already seen the update notification and followed the on-screen instructions to update, you don’t need to do anything else.

#### 2. UPDATING TO 2.2 FOR THOSE WHO BOUGHT FROM THE MAC APP STORE ####

• Open up the Mac App Store.
  • Click on the “Updates” button in the toolbar.
  • You should see Scrivener listed with an “UPDATE” button next to it. Just click on “UPDATE” to update to Scrivener 2.2.

All the best,
Keith

Should those of us using the NaNoWriMo trial version from the L&L NaNoWriMo download page just drive on using that copy?

Yes, just keep using that until 7th December - then if you decide to purchase, update to 2.2 then. The NaNo copy has most of 2.2’s fixes in it already.

All the best,
Keith

Not if, only when. I’m less than seven thousand words away from the goal, have enjoyed the time I’ve been authoring in Scrivener and look forward to buying it on December 2nd.

Thank you for being so generous with such a deep discount for NaNoWriMo participant that use your software to write their novels. The discount makes the decision easy. Although technically, you’ve already cost me over a thousand dollars. After trying the Windows version for a while and lusting after some of the more refined capabilities in the Mac version, I went out and bought a new MacBook Air, just for the start of NaNoWriMo. And the Scrivener NaNoWriMo version was my first software add on. Thank you L&L team!

I read through the list of updates for 2.2, and am not sure that I’ll get to use hardly any of them, although I appreciate the new Kindle formatting features.

Scrivener is approaching Microsoft Word’s level of maturity where most people just use a range of basic features.

I feel Keith could, however, meet an un-met need by shifting his focus to creating an iPad Scrivener for those of us who need an instrument to write when on the go, which can seamlessly sync to OSX/Windows Scrivener through perhaps Dropbox.

Not sure if there’s enough screen space on an iPhone for a Scrivener app, but if Keith has any breakthrough ideas, it would be time to build a shrine to his eternal remembrance.

Also, it’d be great if Scrivener for Windows could be updated to be ready for the Metro interface when Windows 8 launches in 2012.

Thanks for the kind words, poking 36330, glad Scrivener is proving useful! And I’m not going to feel too guilty about your purchase of a MacBook Air given that I use an MBAir for all my writing with Scrivener and love the thing - it’s one of the best computers I’ve ever owned, so hopefully you like that too. :slight_smile:

4miler - I shall only say to watch this space early next year.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Don’t get me started on the MacBook Air and its glossy screen. See the following:

macmatte.wordpress.com

I hate gloss too, and that is unfortunately not constrained to just Apple computers, though some PC manufacturers still have some sense.

Hi Amber, since you hate glossy screens, have you signed the petition at macmatte.wordpress.com ?

Ha ha! You gotta love an optimist.

Kudos for the ability to drag footnotes around — it’s a very welcome change for those of us condemned to provide references for what we write. It’s great to be able to revise the endings of sentences without worrying about what this is going to do to the footnote that was attached to the last word.

Now, if only there was a way to make Scrivener and Zotero play nicely with each other…

Hello — I just wanted to say that I think 2.2 is great. This is the first revision to come out since I purchased Scrivener, and I really appreciate the breadth of things that received your attention in this update. Bodes well, I’d say. Thanks, and keep up the great work.

Cheers, D.

Thanks, DMR, much appreciated - and thanks for buying, too!

jws - glad you like the new ability to drag footnotes around; I don’t know why this didn’t occur to me before.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Hi Keith, just for the record, Scrivener 1.0 was the single software that caused me to shift from PC to Mac (but back in those days you said Scrivener would never go to PC … but I’ve never regretted shifting to Mac, so thanks) … but Scrivener for iPad could cause me to get an iPad, which I’ve thus far resisted since it seems more slanted towards content-consumption rather than content-creation.

The problem with its content-creation focus is its difficulty in syncing data to the Mac/PC, but if Scrivener-iPad was Dropbox compatible, then that would solve that.

Great to hear you moved to a Mac for Scrivener - thanks!
All the best,
Keith

Keith,
You really should start tracking how much money your program has driven into Apple sales. Other than just the trivia value of knowing how many millions Mac sales you are responsible for, maybe Apple would recognize your program as a success story and outfit your shop with new Macs so that you keep building software desirable enough to cause folks like me to spend a thousand bucks to buy a Mac just to run it.

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don’t need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free…

The journalist who broke the neutron-bomb story was asked how he found out about it. “Public sources,” he said. “I just read all they write.”

Neutron bomb? Scrivener on the iPad? :wink: