An interesting problem with Wine & product registration

Are you on DSL?

Nope. (Semi)City-wide blanket wi-fi. And I’m using WINE 1.3.32 on Natty 64-bit with Gnome 2 Panels.

Given the small number of users reporting the issue, and that it’s on both WINE and Windows (Product Activation Required), seems like it’d almost have to be a network issue. Especially since one user was able to register it at work, but not at home. If it’s not the firewall or router, could it be an ISP issue? That doesn’t seem likely to me, but then again, a lot of things don’t seem likely to me.

(By the way, I think I thanked you for Walrus long ago, but just in case I didn’t… Thanks. It got me through a couple of years with my old comic before the calendar thing caught up with it, at which point I put a band-aid on the calendar until I switched to Drupal and kind of rolled my own solution–based on the experience of others–with a few contrib mods and a little cut-and-paste-and-pray code-hacking. At the time, I don’t think I truly appreciated the work you put into it–until I tried and failed to make the calendar go on forever.)

Nope, cable. (Comcast, New England, business class.)

… Walrus wasn’t me. Jim Newbury created Walrus. I went from autokeen to autokeen/WordPress hybrid to Drupal.

Well based on this information it sounds like I’m going to have to do some experimentation on different networks…

I didn’t make it to the library today. I’ll try tomorrow. Any ideas for where eSellerate might possibly be blocked? Mickey D’s is walkable, but a bit far. I don’t think the coffee place near me blocks much of anything.

Times like these I miss the huge WAP that was Seattle.

So I managed to disable the firewall on my DSL modem and tried to complete the registration “naked to the world” as it were. No luck. I tried it over wireless and I tried it using a direct ethernet connection to the modem, and both times I got the same error. This is with the firewall turned completely off, so I can’t imagine it’s something on my side of the fence at this point… unless there’s something in Kubuntu itself that’s blocking it.

Well, yesterday I installed the windows 1.0.3 bêta under Wine, and this time the registration worked.

Hm. Will try that next then!

Well that didn’t work. Now it crashes every time it tries to register (“The program Scrivener.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close,” etc.)

Reverting to previous…

What about the 1.0.3.2 beta? That has a test of the offline activation function; it might be unstable though—which is why it was removed initially.

1.0.3.2 was what I tested. The problem is it always tries to start the online activation, and instead of giving a success or fail message it gives a “hey I’m going to crash now” message. Then it crashes. :slight_smile:

Well at least it is polite about it. :wink:

I just had this issue, as well. (Something got corrupted in my .wine dir, so I zapped it and started over.) Keep the 1.0 version around–that installed and registered without an issue for me. Also make sure you have vcrun2005 installed via winetricks. (In other words, I’m not sure if it’s registering a later version that’s the issue or that I installed vcrun2005.)

Edit: thinking about it, I bet you do need vcrun2005. I know WoW used a custom version of one of those libraries, and the winetricks version royally screwed up patching. So I’m thinking that it’s kind of the inverse of the problem I was having with WoW. Scrivener probably uses the msvcr80 provided for registration, like WoW needed the custom version (which winetricks overrode.)

Short answer: install vcrun2005 via winetricks and see if that fixes things.

Disclaimer: I know shit and shineola about windows programming beyond knowing which things get broken when you tweak them.

Installed vcrun2005, but that didn’t fix the problem. I just installed the new 1.0.3 version and I get the same problem.

I don’t actually have a 1.0 version of Scrivener. The earliest I have is 1.0.2. That will run, at least.

garpu, I don’t suppose you can think of any other resource I need to install on winetricks in order to get this to work, can you? I may just need to backup the whole prefix and start from a clean prefix and go from there. 1.0.3 just crashes over and over and over and over…

I don’t think it’s you. I could register version 1, but I can’t do 1.0.3. It just crashes over and over. I installed version 1.0 and then upgrade.

We’ll see…need to reinstall wine. something in the C++ got corrupted.

There are a few hits on google for the latest release on wine… speculation that there’s a regression in the latest version that is causing conflicts when dx9 and .net are installed through winetricks.

Oh lovely. I use .NET a lot over with Steam. Are they suggesting to roll back to 1.3.32?

Y’know, screw it. I’m rolling back to 1.3.32.

I rolled back to 1.3.28 and activation worked on 1.3!

So I think it is a 1.3.33 problem. When I find a deb for 1.3.32 I’ll move back up to that, but… I’m relieved!

Wow, interesting.

Any ideas how to submit this as a wine regression issue? I’ve got a page for Scrivener already:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p … &iId=12274

Edit: if you do upgrade to 1.3.32, can you try to register Scrivener? I’ve already done 3-4 registrations this week due to the corruption weirdness I was experiencing.