Scrivener for Windows now available for *pre-order*

Same here and I checked a few times before NaNo began and there was nothing and all of the winner’s goodies are gone from last year :frowning:

The code that was stated to expire Sept 7th is the “good” one; it was extended again to last to the end of the year, although that was never written up on the NaNo website. Are you using this on the standard Windows version? It won’t work for the educational license.

Yes, those 50% codes should definitely work - we extended them so they will work until the end of the year. We had lots of users successfully use their NaNo '10 coupons yesterday, too. As MM says, make sure you choose the regular licence, because the coupons aren’t valid for the educational licence.

Thanks to everyone who has pre-ordered so far!

All the best,
Keith

Thanks all :smiley:

I will risik not getting the 10% off with a pre-order, keeping fingers crossed (and fingers in keyboard) that I win NaNo.

I can confirm that the new NaNo 2010 code works.

Question on the license. I use multiple computers for writing (Home, Work, linux netbook). Will I be able to install it on multiple computers, if need be? I could do without the work computer, but it would be nice to make notes as I think of them.

If I recall correctly the license says something about up to 5. Typically that covers just about everyone to have it installed at home/work. Not sure if the license carries over to linux or not though… someone from L&L will have to answer that part of the question. A Mac license won’t work for Windows and a Windows License won’t work for Mac, but I suspect the Windows/Linux one might be the same.

What some users have been able to do is put Scrivener on a thumb drive and use it from there. I haven’t tried it but theoretically you should be able to install wine on the linux box, use Scrivener there then use the same Scrivener on your other computer. Wine doesn’t care where a program is run, so long as the WINEPREFIX is correct. (Only really an issue if you have different ones.)

Your mileage may vary. Consult manual for details. Offer not valid in all 50 states. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball. If Happy Fun Ball starts to smoke, run away. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. Backups are your friends. Backups have always been your friends.

To quote the license agreement:

So that should probably cover you. The Linux version does not have a license yet, as it’s still an officially unsupported beta, so you won’t need to register that for now. Once it becomes its own entity and has proper Linux-specific development, it will be its own platform and will need a Linux license (in all probability–this is a hazy day in the future right now), but for now you don’t need to worry about this.

You will want to just install directly on your multiple machines, however, rather than trying to run from a USB stick. Although I know users have done it, once the registration kicks in, this is going to be much more of a hassle since every time you plug in the computer will look unregistered. Additionally, since user settings and a host of preferences are saved locally on the machine, none of that will easily transfer when you move place to place. Working from an external is going to be slower and you may find other issues crop up–it’s not a recommended or supported method of working, so i can’t promise you things will go smoothly. Since you own all the machines in question (with the exception of the work computer, which is allowed by the license if you’re the only person using it and you make reasonable effort to ensure you’re the only person using the installed copy of Scrivener), there’s no reason not to just install on each.

That’s what I get for skipping parts of the Agreement :slight_smile:

Thanks MM.

Tsk tsk! :wink:

I finished NaNo last year, but I don’t know where to find the 50% off code. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I’m not sure what its problem was yesterday - entered the same code on the same version (regular, not education, because I read that part of the thread before I tried it) - and today it likes it and is all happy and I’m all happy.

And yes, that IS as coherent as I’m going to get today. Been a long day.

Many thanks.

I am so pre-ordering now! A great many, many thankyous! :smiley: I’ve been using this thing non-stop (and submitting bugs when I find them, but I haven’t run into any for a good while…) since last NaNo and it - and you guys - are absolutely the best!

I wouldn’t want to try it, but any port in a storm, especially when it means using Office 2010. :wink:

Thank you so much for the preorder form. I purchased it! Yes!
Now I have to wait a few more days …

I just pre-ordered (found you from Nano :smiley:). I ordered 2 because I wanted to get one as a present for my brother who does a lot of writing but has his own household. However I only got one serial number and they were both purchased under my name. Should I have done something different? What can I do now? Thanks in advance!

Any chance there will be a “portable” version in the future? I’d love to be able to run scrivener entirely off a USB stick without having anything written to the registry of the machine (as a lot of companies frown on users installing software on work computers).

You can install Scrivener as a non-admin on a work computer (I’ve done it). Of course, the chances are that it will be against your company’s IT policy, and therefore probably not to be encouraged. :wink:

Quickest fix will be to email sales AT literatureandlatte DOT com if you haven’t already. If you can give David the name and email you used when you bought the license, he should be able to look that up and get things sorted for you, as well as switching your brother’s license over to his name. Thank you for the purchase, and enjoy using Scrivener!

Thanks! Just shot off an email to the above mentioned worthies :slight_smile: