Ideas wanted for a talk I'm giving

Definitely speak on keywords and (custom) metadata.

Scifi writers are, by necessity, researchers too. Emphasize the organizational aspects of Scrivener, how every electronic document or link you need to keep at hand will go into a Scrivener project. That was a revelation to me. Before that, I had links in my browser, documents that I tried to organized by project, but were eventually all over the place. Being able to import documents, even the kinds that Scrivener can’t open itself means that all of my backups are not just of my writing, but also my research material. You only have one thing to back up – one thing to copy – in order to safeguard your entire writing environment and make it portable.

I imagine a projector screen with a screenshot of just one Scrivener project in an otherwise empty finder window. “In this one project file, I have screen captures, photos, wikipedia page archives, research papers in pdf format, spreadsheets that open in Excel or Numbers, web URLs, snapshots of my rough draft, and of course everything that I have written for this book. All. In one. File.”

Better yet, Robot Space Pirates that have come to Earth with Rapid Fire Cupcake Guns.

Better than better yet… Robot Space Pirates that have come to Earth with Rapid Fire Cupcake Guns to Escape the Galaxy’s Draconian White Text on Blue Background Laws.

Don’t f’get t’ tell 'em that they’re pissing into the wind, when politely requesting a, 'Dummy’s/Idiot’s Guide to Scriv 1’s Tutorial, on the so called Tech Support Forum…or any other forum for that matter!!

szabi wrote:
Definitely speak on keywords and (custom) metadata.

'n what;s all this metadata stuff about? What is it? A randy rendezvous?

Part of me really, REALLY wants to write that!

You could call it “Red Velvet”.

Heh pigfender that’s not a bad idea!

Well, I WAS going to call it, ‘Nurse Purse and the Curse of the Inverse Universe’, but your choice… Opening paragraph:

‘The myriad stars of the Arial Galaxy stood out against the twilight sky like asterisks on a proper word processor, as Nurse Purse watched the massed starships of Space Legion XX ‘Typographica Pedanta’ loom into view overhead from her hide out on Comic Sans Prime…’

It’s not just that Scrivener is easy to start using - what instantly drew me was the promise it showed to help me organize piles of disparate types of notes. Got boxes full of notes on post-its, torn sheets of hotel stationery, notebooks, napkins? Bookmarks for hundreds of web sites? Scanned documents? Artifacts. interviews, iPhone videos?

And promise kept. Scrivener is even better at it than it looks. That’s to me the most important thing. Not ease of use, which is immediately apparent, but that in short order it becomes the best editing assistant you could possibly have and frees you up to do your work.

Slightly more on topic (me, I mean…)

If I were attending, I’d be interested in how Scrivener’s been used in anger by published writers - in essence a brief and suitably modest summary of Testimonials webpage highlighting some of the books / programmes written in Scrivener that they are likely to know, but with a little more detail on the methods used.

Yeah, prop humour is always good. Bring a big box stuffed full of manilla envelopes, napkins, a pen with an exploded ink cartridge gluing everything up, graph paper, broken coffee mug with a note written on the side in Sharpie, etc. Stacks of messes. Those little dictaphone cassettes with the tape pulled out and entwined amongst it all. Then turn on your 11" MBA.

With a rocket ship desktop background of course.

LOVE IT

[attachment=0]shareef.jpg[/attachment]
shareef.jpg

I’m sure I’m not alone in wondering how your talk went.

Any chance of letting us know what you talked about in the end, how it went, what you’d do differently next time (if anything) and if it’s available to see/hear somewhere?

Thanks.

I’d love to hear how it went too. I was checking the site for podcasts and can’t find any…

But while looking over the list of guests I was struck by Keith’s amazing similarity to Detective Nick…

He probably saw the robot space pirates shooting cupcakes from their hands and decided to look elsewhere for advice. :slight_smile:

Keith,

I have very little experience with Scrivener so far, but after spending time using it, I tried to export a book I hoped I was going to release in a few days. I had made changes while building my website, that I wanted to incorporate into the first several chapters. I don’t have the discipline to leave things alone, and don’t want multiple copies, because if I do hit on a good idea, I want to be sure it makes it in the book. That’s a long winded way of saying what I imported into Scrivener was the latest update of what I want to publish within days, but without the changes on the website. I wanted to export it to use a compare function to make sure what I felt were improvements made it into the first edition. Long story short, which I realize this is not,… VERY FRUSTRATING!! I had to contact your tech support, which was prompt and I’m sure capable, but I’ve not yet had time to try it. Still trying to make it short. GETTIN’ STUFF IN,… AND GETTIN’ IT OUT,… HOW CAN YOU DO IT QUICK AND EASY?? Hope this helps,… and wish I could go,… even if this isn’t addressed.

Goulash

Since the talk was at the end of October 2011, unless you have some time-travel device, it’s unlikely you’d be able to go in any case!

:slight_smile:

Mark