Just gave up on Scrivener

Ke
Kendric

Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:38 pm Post

I don't want to. I really don't, but Scrivener has stopped being the enabler, it's the obstacle at this point. Maybe once I get this manuscript completed I'll import it back and do the editing. Till then I'm stopping with the excuses and starting with the writing… in Pages.

Pages, of all things?

Well, maybe not ultimately. It's not the best thing for writing long-form fiction, and it's certainly not the best thing to edit anything long in. It's layout is sorely lacking for manuscripts. But there's one thing it is that Scrivener absolutely is not:

Available for iPad.

Wish me luck.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:02 am Post

Well, good luck!

I personally don't use Scrivener for every stage of my writing. I jot down notes and spider diagrams and sometimes sneaky paragraphs on pen and paper of all things before reconciling back into Scrivener.

I'm personally not a fan of the iPad. I've seen it alternately as a phone that you can't fit in your pocket, and as an overpriced and underpowered laptop that doesn't have a keyboard, with a highly restrictive operating system.

But I've come to terms with it now, and see it for what I suspect was Apple's original plan: it's a computer for people who don't need a computer (like my mum, for example). Maybe a bit of web browsing (as long as you don't need Flash, of course), maybe a few games and a media center. But not something for anyone who needs clever software or powerful software. Ultimately it is a device for outputting info, not inputting. Not in any substantial scale or form, anyway. Writers, for my money, fall into the category of people who need a proper computer.

I know there are people on the forum who integrate their iPad and other tablets into their writing workflow successfully, effectively replacing the 'paper' stages in my own routine (notebook at the front end, printed copy at the other) who can wax lyrical on that.

I'll just wish you luck, and hope you've bought an external keyboard. 100,000 words on a touchscreen keyboard would drive me completely insane.
http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
Image Image

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:56 pm Post

Right now, I understand your moving on to Pages. That's exactly what I do, as I get ready to send a file to editors who are going to put it into dead-tree print.

Scrivener was always designed to be "abandoned" at that stage, because it's not a word processor. For headers, page numbers, images, layout, you need Pages or Word or Nisus.

But...in the fast emerging world of e-books, Scrivener is more of a one-stop shop. If you pull all of the files together correctly, stick in cover art, and compile for .mobi or .epub; you have a book ready to publish at Kindle, Nook, or iBooks.

Fairly soon, publishers will ask to see e-book files from the start. And then we may not "give up" on Scrivener at all.

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:29 pm Post

Goodbye, Kendric! You've been around these parts for a while, so you'll be missed, but obviously you have to use the tools that work for you. Good luck in your future endeavours (and with writing on an iPad ;) ).
Regards,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ke
Kendric

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:46 pm Post

KB wrote:Goodbye, Kendric!

I hope it's 'see you soon' too. :)

KB
Site Admin

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:49 pm Post

Kendric wrote:

Yes, I just edited my post, in fact. :) You may want to check back with us early next year on the off-chance we have some news, too...
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Ke
Kendric

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:56 pm Post

KB wrote:
Kendric wrote:

Yes, I just edited my post, in fact. :) You may want to check back with us early next year on the off-chance we have some news, too...

I'll check back. Heck, I'll put it in my iPad's reminders App. :D

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:18 am Post

KB wrote:You may want to check back with us early next year on the off-chance we have some news, too...

Keith.....not another kid, surely. I thought you were too busy CODING. :twisted:

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:40 am Post

Heh, no, no, no - no more kids! Three is quite enough. Especially on a half-term.

robertdguthrie

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:43 pm Post

KB wrote:Heh, no, no, no - no more kids! Three is quite enough. Especially on a half-term.

Is it a puppy? That would be so great to have an official Lit & Lat puppy! I can't wait!
Often wrong, rarely in doubt.
Time for a change... I'm now rdale; same dog-avatar, same dog... channel?

pigfender

Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:52 pm Post

robertdguthrie wrote:
KB wrote:Heh, no, no, no - no more kids! Three is quite enough. Especially on a half-term.

Is it a puppy? That would be so great to have an official Lit & Lat puppy! I can't wait!

1 vote for Basset Hound!
sad_basset_hound-12660.jpg
sad_basset_hound-12660.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 3711 times
Image Image

caseyfreeland

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:41 pm Post

KB wrote:Yes, I just edited my post, in fact. :) You may want to check back with us early next year on the off-chance we have some news, too...

Oh man, don't tease that way!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:08 pm Post

iBasset.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

caseyfreeland

Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:41 pm Post

pigfender wrote:But I've come to terms with it now, and see it for what I suspect was Apple's original plan: it's a computer for people who don't need a computer (like my mum, for example). Maybe a bit of web browsing (as long as you don't need Flash, of course), maybe a few games and a media center. But not something for anyone who needs clever software or powerful software. Ultimately it is a device for outputting info, not inputting. Not in any substantial scale or form, anyway. Writers, for my money, fall into the category of people who need a proper computer.

I don't know PF. In the last 1 1/2 years I've had my iPad I've written dozens (maybe hundreds) of blog posts, poems and short stories and 30,000+ words on my current novel started in August. I have a MacBook. I prefer my iPad with a materially infinite battery, terrific mobility, great internet experience (I almost never run into flash problems anymore) and immediate app execution. I write about 60 wpm on the touch screen and 70+ on my ZAGG/mate. For me at least, and probably many others, it is definitely an inputting device.

pigfender

Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:14 am Post

Just goes to show that I don't know what I'm talking about!

I'm someone who finds using a laptop a compromise of convenience and portability over using paper and a whiteboard. For me, the iPad is a compromise too far.

I presume ZAGG/mate is a type of coffee?
Image Image