Novel-in-a-Day (NIAD)... Day

I’m feeling like a tech neophyte, but I can’t get the ePub to show up on my Nook. I’ve loaded an epub that I generated, but it was a single file with the .epub extension, whereas the file I download unzips to a directory tree. Did I miss something in the download instructions to turn the directory into a bundle or something?

It’s worked fine with me - the epub link downloads a zip file with a single epub file in it, which opens on the Calibre desktop reader that AmberV kindly alerted me to.
Might be worth giving the download another try.

RDG SAID: “I can’t get the ePub to show up on my Nook”

It turns out Lewis Carroll’s Jabberwocky isn’t jibberish, it’s an exerpt from an article on how to set up some technology that has since become obsolete.

So I was able to download and unzip the .epub to my Windows machine, but on my Mac, it unzips to a directory. Weird. I can’t think of any special unzipping mac utility that I have that might exhibit this behavior, and I take it that no other mac users are having this issue? Serves me right for installing so many damned utilities, I guess.

And the Nook is doing just fine, thank you very much! As a long-time Linux and Mac user now, I can attest to the lack of correlation between quality and popularity.

I wasn’t dissing the nook, I was just noting that you can’t buy Borogroves anymore, and because the .mimsy format they used was proprietary, you had to just dump it and rebuy in a different format.

It’s a shame because the Borogrove was a brillig piece of kit.

Sorry, that came out strident, when I was going for fake umbrage. Actually, epub’s open(ish) format is one reason I chose nook over kindle.

hey folks. just stopping in. haven’t read it yet. i’m a “hand-in-book” kinda woman. would prefer to print it out and poke holes in it then put it in a binder or some such. plan to get that done soonest. i have fought the trend towards ereaders because, well it doesn’t feel, smell, nor look like a book. looking forward to reading soon though. really disappointed in the lack of spaceships, laser guns, and worm holes though. :stuck_out_tongue:

How about worm casts!? There’s about 3 tonne of 'em on my back lawn!! Buyer collect.:slight_smile:

I’m with you Montree, when it comes to e-book vs pulp. Kindle’s great if you want to carry the Library of Alexandria, around with y’, but it just don’t seem right, snuggling up with a steaming mug of cocoa and a good…Kindle…!? :frowning:
Nahh…ain’t the same.
Take care
Vic

1. I liked the level of information given. My only thought is that the lead in and out might be more solidified for each section. Something like “the previous chapter ended with Scott standing with the key in the lock of his house. The Detective is hoping his wife is awake, afraid she is not,” giving both place and time reference. The level of information would be given for the end of each section as well, such as “End with Scott driving to the 24 hour market on near empty roads.”

2. Happy with the level of information.

3. My error with the time zones is my own fault. I somehow got the idea I had until noon my time to complete my section when the deadline was much earlier. I am glad I powered through and sent something even though I was hoping both to add too and edit my first stab. When the next round happens, I will find a reliable time zone chart, setting my calendar accordingly.

Just wanted to add it was daunting but also exhilarating to be so far from my normal story arc. Not one sword or time portal in sight. Makes me want to try something in the mystery vain for NaNoWriMo.

[quote=“pigfender”]

1. Would you rather have an idea of what the basic plot outline is and where you fit in it, or did you like having to wait to find out what happened to set up your scene, or what happened next?
    ***I liked the basic idea of not knowing. however, i guess in contradiction, i think some basic elements should be outlined and presented to everyone, e.g., seasons, room/bldg/dwelling layout, primary personality traits in main and secondary characters. this may reduce conflicts in the final knitting together of the chapters. also, a final and starting sentence for each chapter may lend the appearance of more congruence.

2. Would you rather have had more character sheets for secondary characters, locations etc? Were the briefs too restrictive, or not detailed enough? ***a tad more detail in the briefs would’ve been welcome as pertains to my answers to question one.

3. How did the different timezones work? ***they worked well, i think rolling deadlines may be an answer while still getting the novel done in a day. i liked the hard and soft deadline also.

please don’t be offended vic-k, but i’ll pass on the worm casts for now. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am feeling like I have a giant “Loser” sign on my forehead. I didn’t realize all of you were communicating with each other during the writing… but I’ve just finished reading all the posts and I also want to say “Thank You” Rog/Pigfender for all of your work. This was such a fun project! I haven’t downloaded to Kindle yet, but can’t wait to read the book. Am quite worried that I will be hanging my head in shame when I compare my chapter to everyone else’s.

This was a GREAT exercise before NaNoWriMo! I most certainly want to participate with NIAD next year. I think the suggestions for next year are all interesting – but whatever is decided is okay with me. I loved the feeling of just winging it! And the time zone difference made no difference to me at all. I was just happy to be part of the process!

Good luck to everyone doing NaNoWriMo!

PADARO SAID: I am feeling like I have a giant “Loser” sign on my forehead. I didn’t realize all of you were communicating with each other during the writing… but I’ve just finished reading all the posts and I also want to say “Thank You” Rog/Pigfender for all of your work. This was such a fun project! I haven’t downloaded to Kindle yet, but can’t wait to read the book. Am quite worried that I will be hanging my head in shame when I compare my chapter to everyone else’s.

Don’t worry. There were no chapters that warranted hanging of heads in shame.

Ooooooooo…

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/novel-in-a-day-2-the-revenge/19163/1

(Don’t reply here - go to the other thread. I just posted here in case anyone subscribed to this feed.)

Hi! I’m curious about how the 24-hour novel came out. The links don’t work for me, and this is an old thread… Are they live anywhere else I can access the work? (Or if not this one, another NIAD completed novel?)

Thanks,
Nicole

The links to the various editions are in dedicated threads in the NiaD subforum here at L&L. You can quickly jump to them via the NiaD landing page: novelinaday.com/

Try “The Library”

:slight_smile:
Mark

Thanks Mark & scshrugged! Novelinaday.com doesn’t appear to be active. Screenshot below. But the Pigfender.com links seem to be working fine! :slight_smile:

Nicole

Hi Nicole…Glad you’re able to enjoy the Works.

I’ve been able to successfully visit novelinaday before and after your latest post. I’ve used Safari in iOS and macOS, and Firefox (70.0.1) in macOS. It’s possible you visited the site during a temporary glitch or you’ve visited in the past when it was inactive. Regardless, the previous visit’s state might be being held in your browser’s cookies and cache. It appears you’re using Firefox but the method to clear cookies and cache would be similar in other browsers.

Firefox > Preferences > Privacy & Security > Cookies and Site Data > Clear Data

Instead, at the end of that same path, you could try the Manage Data option for a more targeted approach but it can often be less successful than a complete clearing.

Thank you, Mark, for “The Library” link.

I like that idea it could be rather clever