Novel-in-a-Day (NIAD)... Day

ooops! i miswrote. 2600 words. and believe me even with edits that number doesn’t seem to be dwindling. sigh. oh, and btw, it’s only been about 6 hrs for me. by the time i received my mission’s assignment it was time for me to hit the sack. so i started this a.m.

Over is fine, unless the words are rubbish.

We seem to be varying anywhere between 1000 and 3000

oh, cool. i was just gonna ax a scene i really wish I didn’t have to.

It would appear that I do not have a creative thought left in my body, and probably haven’t had for about 5 hours.

Once I have all the submissions in I’ll to only the most basic of editing:

• spell check (by which I probably mean count the red wiggly lines)
  • top and tail sections for accidental overlaps
  • perhaps minor edits if major characters start meeting each other for the first time for the third time

Then it’s compile away. Depending on cognitive function, you might not get to see anything until early afternoon… I’ve not been able to get a tangible head start on the above because not enough adjacent chapters have arrived!

Pow, there it goes.

Great! I’m rereading and will shoot it your way mementarily. :smiley:

What do people think? Have they had fun?

Its been brilliant, can we do it again :))

I had fun, but then I always have fun with short time-limited pieces. It got me thinking again about a true-crime piece that I’ve had in mind for years.

I’m having fun because Time zones allowed me to get my section done in the first 6 hours, and I get to feel very relaxed as I wake up to read about other’s mad scrambles on the other side of the planet.

Also nervous to find out if my section stacks up okay against the rest.

The section I got was more or less an in-between scene, so I didn’t have a lot to work with… Depending on length and pace of the novel, there is a fair chance my section would normally be glossed over in about 250 words, so I felt like I was being overly self-indulgent padding it out to 1500.

Ironically, I had the bit where we first meet Dr Warne, and I did it all from another perspective and almost glossed over the introductions. Who likes long character introductions anyway? Oh, and no office in my bit for those that were asking.

Hopefully my tongue in cheek ending amuses someone.

Matt

Maybe next year!

So far (with 13 minutes left on the clock ) I’ve received 126 emails today in relation to NIAD, with over 90% of those required a ‘timely’ response. That’s before any forum posts, Private Messages and such the like. It’s been really fascinating getting into the head of how different people write, plan and collaborate.

It’s been great fun, but it made writing my own 1,252 words challenging. Hopefully people will like them :slight_smile:

You turned over and saw page 2 of the brief, right?

My brief was so short I was happy to see sentence 2!!

(Incidentally, don’t take that as a complaint, it was fun)

People have 9 minutes left to put a post up on the forum saying they finished and then blaming the fact that it doesn’t arrive in my inbox until Tuesday on “web traffic, man I mean my neighbours I have no idea what they must be downloading on tha thing”

Screw web traffic, mine’s in the post.

HA

just sent it. gotta get ready for work. hmmmm.

this has been great fun!

Now that the time has passed, just pretend they all arrived on time.

Clocks are slow in Cornwall.