Novel-in-a-Day (NIAD)... Day

That works for me.

(That is to say that it seems perfectly acceptable)

thank you.

Okay, I’ve got about an hour or so of finishing off to do, but my wife is about to go out and I am now going to have to sort out the kids’ tea, bath and bedtimes, so I’m afraid it’s not going to be in for 8pm. As soon as the kids are in bed, though, I can get it finished, so it will definitely be in before midnight. Sorry about that!

Not to worry Keith, we are going with the theory of:
Target = 8pm
HARD deadline = midnight
(both UK time)
That way we can still say it was written in a day.
(And let’s people compensate slightly for the delay in getting out the packs)

Of course, the earlier people deliver the better my blood pressure.

…and night’s rest.

You deserve one!

going off air for a bit. back when i’m ready with the first rough.

they say (not sure who) garlic juice is great for blood pressure and lowering cholesterol. let me know if it works. :stuck_out_tongue:

(wishing the quotes worked in this thread)…

Excellent! Two offices it is! I’ve got the administrative one, though there’s no reason she can’t take files from it to the “interview” office room, so I guess we’re set with our descriptions!

Don’t know what you mean, what’s confusing about this…?

Just sent in my submission, hope it qualifies! ;D

Look forward to reading it.
V.

EIGHT submissions in, and so far NOONE has gone the Space Pirate interpretation route…

Nine now?

TEN! (including yours - Thanks!)

In the U.S. if you want to imply a doctor is incompetent, you can call him or her a “quack”, like the word for a duck’s sound (no idea where that comes from).

Is there a similar word or phrase in the UK, or do you also use that word?

Yeah, we’d call him a quack. It probably stems from the US, but hey… you have better sitcoms.

Pigfender scrap the first one resending in few moments, thanks

Thought to be short for “quacksalver”, used by Sir Thomas Browne in his Pseudodoxia Epidemica (1648) to describe a hawker of patent (and mostly useless) medicines.

Etymology is conflicted. The standard one is from the old German “Quacksalber”, allegedly meaning “quicksilver”; mercury ointments were used to treat syphilis from the late C15 and didn’t really work. Problem is that mercury is Quecksilber in German…

The other etymology says it’s from “quack” – the quacking noises of a medicine salesman flogging his wares from the back of a cart – and “salve”, then as now an ointment.

Either way, a damn good word.

Interesting. Nice bit of info, Michael! Thanks for that. :slight_smile:

Okay revised copy sent off now thinks time for glass of wine.:slight_smile:

JEALOUS!

Excellent. Glad it’s not just American slang. I’m done with the first draft (currently at 2,247 words). Going to take a short break and then do a quick edit and hope that it’s sufficient. I should be submitting it in about 2 hours.