Simple Feedback = Praise

AndreasE

Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 pm Post

Although I was among those who initially uttered the need for this kind of software (I don't dare to use the word "inspired", because inspiration is a mental force that, in this case, must clearly have come from elsewhere) and helped a bit to outline the specifications in first broad strokes, I have to admit I didn't use the betas for quite a time. For the simple reason that I was occupied with writing projects that either didn't need elaborate timelines or that needed it, but at times when no reliable AEON beta was available.

So, a hiatus from which I came back today to give AEON 0.6.0 a try for the first time since I downloaded it.

And I just wanted to express my feelings as follows:

Image Image Image

This version is already very, very usable und useful! The interface is self explaining, everything works, and it's a tremedous help in fiddling with characters and their ages at given moments in time.

My only wish now is that AEON shall stay compatible with OS X 10.5.8 (or lower) and shall be available (once version 1.0 hits the market, which might be quite soon) for users from the Leopard lowlands.

Once again: Bravo!

ma
matt

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:26 pm Post

Wait until you try the new version then - just released! I am horrified by the old one now.

I have had to drop Tiger support, as Apple has made it too difficult, but I doubt there are many Tiger users left. I fully intend to maintain support back to Leopard though.

Let me know if you come across any compatibility issues with Leopard - I did some Leopard testing a few weeks ago and it was fine, but have not had a chance to test the absolute most recent version with Leopard - I will do it in the next week.

Matt

px
pxjenkins
Platform: Mac

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 pm Post

Just want to add my voice of praise for your efforts. Fantastic piece of software; I'm a documentary director currently making a film about 1930's Japanese history, and Aeon is invaluable.

Small quibbles are that tags do not work in the very latest version: they do not hold in the field. And export does not work: it keeps cycling back to 'Finish' without exporting the file. I'm using Lion, btw.

Keep trucking!

Paul

ma
matt

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:05 am Post

pxjenkins wrote:Just want to add my voice of praise for your efforts. Fantastic piece of software; I'm a documentary director currently making a film about 1930's Japanese history, and Aeon is invaluable.

Small quibbles are that tags do not work in the very latest version: they do not hold in the field. And export does not work: it keeps cycling back to 'Finish' without exporting the file. I'm using Lion, btw.

Keep trucking!

Paul

Hi - I have had someone else mention the exporting issues, but I have been unable to reproduce this myself. What are you trying to export to? Is there a particular combination of settings that causes the issue, or does it never do it? What about if you create a new file from scratch (maybe it is file-related)?

Re: tags - I will take a look at this too.

Matt

ti
tinu

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:47 pm Post

I suppose it was me mentioning some exporting issues.

But first let me join the chorus of praise. I like this new clean look very much. Of course I have to get used to all these lines, but that is a matter of time. And there's always the possibility to toggle relationships.

Now export feature: I tried all different export formats. The only one that worked successfully was "Export Type: Image". All the other ones failed. I couldn't get beyond the finish-button. I click on it, type a filename and - nothing happens. The exported file will not be written to the harddisc. I have to cancel to leave the export-dialogue.

The console always show the two identical messages:
Exception detected while handling key input.
*** -[NSCFString replaceOccurrencesOfString:withString:options:range:]: nil argument

I tried it with Aeon 0.8.1.0 under Mac OS X 10.6.8

I'm interested mainly in export for Bee Doc Timeline and Scrivener of course.

Thank you for your hard work these weeks.
Tinu
MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz 8GB | OSX 10.9.5

ma
matt

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:26 pm Post

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. I will take a look at the other exports soon.

Incidentally, if you want to export to Scrivener, you can use Aeon's sync function to drop them directly into the Scrivener project.

px
pxjenkins

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:29 am Post

Hi Matt,

Same export issue as Tinu, except that I'm running Aeon 0.8.2 on OSX 10.7.1

BUT: just ran a quick test - when I create a new file in the 0.8.2 version, both export and tags seem to work perfectly!

So, the question now is how to get an Aeon timeline created from version 0.6 onwards, contains c. 200 events, working properly in 0.8.2 ? Or do I, ahem, re-create a new timeline manually?... :|

Would you like me to email you the timeline file?

px
pxjenkins

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:59 am Post

Further to my last post: export and tags stopped working again. Aaaargghhh!

So, I used AppCleaner to scrub Aeon off my system, then did a completely fresh re-install of 0.8.2. To start with, tags and export worked perfectly on a newly-created test file but when I closed the app then re-opened, tags and export no longer work.

It seems there is some kind of issue with the preferences files...?

ma
matt

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:26 am Post

Hi,
I would certainly not like to see you have to re-create an entire timeline file.

If you send it to support (at) scribblecode (dot) com, I can take a look and figure out what is happening. Hopefully it will be a fairly minor bug I can fix within the next few days.

Matt

ti
tinu

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am Post

After reading pxjenkins post I tried the following:

- saved un empty Aeon timeline with Aeon 0.8.2
- synched it with my Scrivener project to get all events
- tried to export, Image, OPML and RTF worked, other exports: no result
- then quitted Aeon
- deleted the preference file
- started Aeon again and export stopped working completely, not even "Image" worked
- same messages in the console as already mentioned

Tinu
MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz 8GB | OSX 10.9.5

px
pxjenkins

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:25 pm Post

File sent by email.
Thanks!

ma
matt

Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:58 am Post

Hi there,
I have found the bug you are seeing.

Tags were working correctly when creating new files, but they were not loading correctly from the saved file (subsequent saving would therefore remove them).

This was the cause of both the tags problem and the export problem.

I will release a new version sometime today once I clean up a couple of other things. But the tags in those XML files are probably not recoverable, unless you are lucky and have a "Revert to Version" or "Time Machine" backup of that first file.

Otherwise, you will need to re-convert the original .aeon file (the 0.6/0.7 version file, not the new XML format) to recover the tags.

Thanks,
Matt

Spitfire31

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:40 am Post

Slowly coming to grips with Aeon TL in a 'real' project, I find it an enormous help.

I haven't tried exporting to Scrivener yet (it's a bit early, in the synopsis stage) but the basic structure and the slick interface are going to make Aeon a winner for anything that involves juggling parallel storylines and chronologies.

I have a humble requests at this stage (there may be more later…).

• To have the zoom function home in on the selected Event and keep it centered on screen.

Many thanks for all the hard work that has gone into Aeon so far! It's developing into an indispenable tool.

Best,

Joachim

EDIT: Deleted a brainfart about weekdays… :oops: