LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 035 RELEASED

Oh Joy of Joys … Awesome Job mate ! … I raise a Scottish toast to all the team … Slainte Mhor …

Just wanted to give my feedback on this- I like it. In fact before this I used keyboard shortcuts to move documents in the binder because the twiddling to get the documents dropped in the right place drove me crazy. Probably I will go on using the shortcuts, but I like this new feature all the same and I think new users will like it, too. If it was possible to turn it on/off, I think that would be a good solution for everyone.

Ah, I forgot! I only got it working after narrsd’s post on how to use it correctly! So maybe this should be included in the tutorial since it is not a perfectly intuitive feature!

If this model becomes the adopted one, it most certainly will be.

Yep. My use case was actually wanting to drag from a collection of templates and drop a copy into my current corkboard or folder. But that’s difficult to do unless dragging to the binder re-opens it, or if you could have more than one collection opened in stacked fashion. (I suppose a dedicated templates feature might work better, but being able to do it without a dedicated feature actually means there’s more flexibility and fewer things to learn with less code bloat.)

As far as shortcuts go, Explorer uses a boxed shortcut arrow drop hint when the default is to create a shortcut, or if you hold the alt key (to force a shortcut). So it seems to me that if you’re dragging something to the references area (whether it’s a link, external file, or internal reference) or to the collections, that’s the drop hint you should see (i.e., the shortcut arrow hint, not the move or copy hints). This then provides a subliminal learning hint to Windows users that what they’re doing is really just creating a shortcut link in the reference area or collection.

Scrivener doesn’t have any places where you actually have a choice between copy/move and shortcut, though, so for those two places, it should always be the shortcut hint, and alt-drag would not have a special meaning in scrivener. For distinguishing between copy and move, Windows uses Ctrl and Shift, respectively, to override the default operation.

(While on the subject of Ctrl, I’ve noticed that holding control while dragging, then canceling the drag results in the selection of a bunch of items in the binder. This is probably caused by trapping Ctrl+mouse down for multiple selection, rather than ctrl+mouse up. I could be wrong though. This is not a big bug right now, but if Ctrl-Drag will actually perform a copy operation in the future, it’ll need to get fixed along the way.)

Download without a hitch. . .check :neutral_face:
uninstall old version with uninstaller. . .check :slight_smile:
install without a hitch. . .Check :smiley:
Launch Scrivener when done. . .CHECK :smiley: . . .and hey, Scrivener found and opened my most recent project with all the cool interface stuff in place BONUS!! Lee, you rock!

In Beta 29 I was not able to drag and drop all of my word documents. Well, I could drag and drop, but not all of them were changed into a scrivener text document, some of the word documents were simply imported as a link. So I opened them in word, copied the text and pasted it in scrivener text documents. Back then I didn’t report that because I thought it was not supposed to work with all word documents even if I HAD word installed.

However, the problem doesn’t occur anymore with the same documents - tried to drag and drop them again out of curiosity :wink: . I will report if anything odd happens on importing word documents again.

Big congratulations on 035! The .doc-import problems I’d had with earlier versions are gone, gone, gone. (Of course, that now means I have to breaking down that 120K-word novel I just imported into scenes.)

Everything in 035 looks fine and acts as it should, so far as I’ve been able to see. It also picked up my default format settings from the previous install without a hitch.

Kudos!

This is the best beta version so far in my opinion. Everything is working great. The lag I had with typing on one of my projects in the last beta has gone away. I love this program. You guys are working so hard and we appreciate it!

Um, I didn’t see this sentence, and I updated it without uninstalling it. Will this cause problems/should I go back and do it again? :neutral_face:

I’ve played with the new drag and drop and also would like to say I would much prefer something like what is in explorer (or even IE9 favorites handling). With the current method, when I try to drag one item below another, both end up being surrounded by a box which is not very intuitive. It does work, it just isn’t up to the standards I would expect from a program like Scrivener, so I would recommend changing it.

Install was a bit dicey, but once successful, 035 is running wonderfully.

FWIW on the install… the installer would freeze before the setup was completed. I resolved the issue by disabling items in system startup via msconfig until the installer worked properly.

I think this hangup had more to do with my machine than Scrivener. I’ll keep my eyes open as I write…

Cheers!

Russ

You might be fine, but it wouldn’t hurt to uninstall and reinstall just to make sure everything’s cleaned up properly. Make sure you run the uninstaller as an admin if you installed as admin.

Not sure what you usually consume… these days, I’m not sure American beer is really beer, just a fizzy yellow liquid with beer packaging (e.g. “beer” that rings in at 64 kcal per bottle - there’s nothing to it!). But… in many places, local microbreweries are keeping the torch lit, I’d recommend them over the major brands.

You’re thinking of Mt. Dew…Equally gross.

As with an earlier beta (see my earlier post), I had a problem with launching the installer from the Firefox download bar (I use a Firefox add-on called PDF Download from Nitro). When I double-clicked on the installer, the following windows popped up and the installation stalled. As one of the windows referred to Firefox, I closed Firefox and instead double-clicked on the installer file in my directory in Windows Explorer, and then it launched and installed fine. Last time I also tried to install from the Firefox download bar, so that’s what the problem was. I always use this method of launching an installer, and I’ve never ever had a problem with it, so there must be something about the Scrivener installer and how it behaves when Firefox is also running (or this particular add-on is running). I have Windows 7, 64-bit.
2011-10-03-scrivener_install.png

Yeah, microbrewery all the way. I used to live a matter of blocks from one. Haven’t found any in the new place yet. :frowning:

I’ve been using beta 035 for a few days now. I’ve found it works perfectly on my main laptop, but it’s very slow to load on my netbook (my last load clocked in at around 2 minutes). Could this have been due to the removal of the memory optimization code? The previous beta loaded almost instantly on the same netbook. My netbook is only a month or two old, so it’s made to current netbook specs.

I’m a programmer, too, and I tip my hat to you for a job well done. If it stays this slow to load on my netbook, I’ll live (and still buy the full Windows version).

Something to consider: I opened a new project in the short story format, set up the title page, and created some scene files. I then set the word count goal for the project, at which point I noticed that Scrivener said I had 28 words, even though I hadn’t typed anything in any of the scenes yet (just blank files with titles). Turns out that there are 28 words (personal info, title, by line, and word count tag) on the title page. I am not sure, but I think it did this with my projects in novel format as well.

The point to consider: I don’t think editors/publishers/contests consider the contents of the title page as part of their word count requirements. I could be wrong on that, but I usually think of the body of the text, minus title page/headers/footers/page numbers, as the words being counted.

Anyways, just something to think about :slight_smile:

Lunarclipper

This is something we’ll be addressing, with an option in compile to exclude certain documents from the word count statistics, but it’s a post 1.0 issue–this actually wasn’t added until 2.0 in the Mac version. The word count does get rounded, however, so most of the time there’s some margin for a few extra words from the title page. If it’s critical that you have an exact count, you can correct the number after compile by subtracting the title page word count (or add it specifically to the document before compile rather than using a variable). Headers and footers aren’t counted–it’s just the title page text that’s additional here.

At least in Boston pubs, everybody knows your name…