Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:09 am Post

MATT WROTE: "Perhaps we should follow up with Edit In A Day (EIAD) day."

Second the motion.

ps

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:55 am Post

Yeah, but if we did that it would be a Novel In Two Days... two days. I want no piece of that kind of madness.

ma
matt

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:16 am Post

pig fender wrote: "Yeah, but if we did that it would be a Novel In Two Days..."

And before you know it, anarchy!

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 am Post

Wot's a narchy?
Vic

jr
jravan
Platform: Windows

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:49 pm Post

Quoting pigfender:
"Yeah, but if we did that it would be a Novel In Two Days... two days. I want no piece of that kind of madness."

Two days? Strictly true. Still, we could say we wrote it (first draft) in a day. Then we edited it. The "one day" thing is not that important to me.

But, in my opinion, it's a decision as to whether I'm doing this to help produce a work that someone might actually read or simply performing an act to be able to say "I helped write a novel in a day. Of course, it's chaotic, boring, and ultimately unreadable. But, it only took us a day..."

Assuming a reading speed of 700 wpm (very fast, I think. I probably read less than half that fast) and a length of 50,000 words, it will take pigfender about an hour and 15 minutes to read the first draft. If he reads at my speed, it would take him about three hours. If it takes an hour to assemble the project and produce the final output, that leaves no more than an hour and 45 minutes to do ANY editing of ANY kind. For instance, checking for and correcting misspelled words. If one reads at my rate, they would have about 30-45 minutes to edit. And if a contributor gets their timezone offset confused in the wrong direction, there goes at least an hour. My point? There's not much, if any, time in the current schedule for editing. I expect we all understand that.

Personally, I would like to have a chance to edit our work. But, I'll leave the decision of whether or not to spend a day, or any other amount of time, doing that to pigfender.

ma
matt

Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:10 pm Post

matt wrote: And before you know it, anarchy!
vic-k replied: Wot's a narchy?

Someone who doesn't understand how spaces work?

vic-k

Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:19 pm Post

[quote="Ned"]Someone who doesn't understand how spaces work?[/quote]

Gottchya!! :-) Y' mean one of those nobeds wot park arf in one parking space and arf in the space next to it. Next time I see someone doing it, I'll shout, "Gerrtchya!! y' narchy!!" That'll teach em!
Cheers Ned
Vic

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:13 am Post

I think it's important to be honest: We are writing a book in a day. It's not going to win the Booker prize.

The time from 8pm to midnight is going to be spent compiling, not editing. I won't get to read it until the next day like everyone else.

We are relying on everyone's self-editing to ensure the book is readable, and the nature of the plot to make the story hang together.

PJ
PJS

Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:08 am Post

VIC WROTE: "Wot's a narchy?"

Let's re-consider this one. I think it's really "an archy," quite a different item altogether.

ps

Fluff
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:22 am Post

You do realise Mr P. that you and that matt person, along with His Obtuseness, are seriously off-topicking.

Mods need a good kick up their ars....oops sorry, nearly said a rude word.
Fluff

El
ElvenWriter

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 pm Post

I would so love to do this! Sounds like great fun!

The only question I have is can I still do it even if I don't use Scrivener? I'm looking forward to learning how to use the program but am waiting to actually use it primarily for writing until it is released for Windows.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:11 am Post

I wouldn't say using Scrivener is a necessity. If you aren't comfortable using beta software, then you shouldn't have to! :) Besides, 1k words is a bit short for a Scrivener project; I bet several of us will be using other stuff. It's more just the idea of "Scrivener users" getting together and doing something fun. And the final book will be put together in Scrivener anyway.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

El
ElvenWriter

Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:56 am Post

Great! If there are still writers needed I'd love to be part of it!

(Oh, and I would really rather not do a grisly scene.)

vic-k

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:44 am Post

jeezzz!! another lamb to the slaughter!!! Listen buddy/babe, Scrivener,*is*, a grisly scene!! tch!tch!tch!

homeport
Platform: Mac

Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:17 pm Post

Would love to take part in this project. Any chapter is fine by me:)