The synchronization system is designed to do the following:
- Allow you to export Events from Aeon Timeline directly into your Scrivener projects as new Documents (these get dropped in a special folder called 'Aeon Timeline Exported Documents' or something equally long-winded).
- Allow you to import Documents from Scrivener to become new events in Aeon Timeline.
- Allows you to link events within Aeon Timeline to document in Scrivener.
- Adds meta-data to Scrivener projects that display the linked events and the dates the events occur.
- If you modify a date in Scrivener and then synchronize, it will update the date in Aeon Timeline also.
- If you modify a date in Aeon Timeline, it will update the date in Scrivener also.
- Each time you synchronize the files, Aeon defaults to present you with options only for what has changed.
- The system is designed so that the one Aeon Timeline file can sync with multiple Scrivener projects.
- However, each Scrivener project can be synced with just one Aeon Timeline file.
At this stage, there is a bare minimum information share between the two applications (event titles and dates are displayed in Scrivener) so that I can ensure the underlying syncing process is workable, user-friendly, and safe to existing Scrivener projects.
Consequently, I am looking for volunteers to act as Alpha testers for this functionality. It is very important that you backup both the Aeon Timeline file and the Scrivener file before each sync takes place, and to keep an eye out for anything that might have gone astray after a sync - that way, we will get a better idea of when anything might have become corrupted.
Aside from this basic "does it break anything" testing, I am also interested in feedback on the user interface, and what other information users might want to be synced down the track (at present, entities and characters are completely ignored, event notes, labels, tags etc. are all not synchronized).
Anyone who is interested in testing the new version can download it from the following link:
This update is not yet available through the auto-updater, as I want to ensure it is only available to users who have read this forum message. Once the sync feature gets the tick from enough users, I will make it available more generally.
(If anyone is not interested in the Scrivener Sync but does want the most up-to-date bug fixes and the text readout, then feel free to download it and avoid the sync feature altogether).