Why do *you* read? (Split from SF thread...)

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:52 pm Post

.sturdier? ...yeah!..I suppose you`re right. Welders are, `a breed apart`, from most ordinary men. But! ....like the man said....,â€
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

vic-k

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:01 am Post

This is Houston control. Begin countdown.
Time: 0801hrs
Lift off: 0900
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

vic-k

Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:57 am Post

This is Houston Control
Time: 0855 :shock: Our Guy said ,"Sod it I`m off!"

Jaysen

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:35 pm Post

vic-k wrote:This is Houston Control
Time: 0855 :shock: Our Guy said ,"Sod it I`m off!"

Shall I assume from the lack of follow up that you are ready to walk the plank?

As my father woudl chide, "disappointed .... disapointed".
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:59 pm Post

Sorry! :oops:

Thought you`d all headed off for pastures (forums), new.
Back in a bit!!
Vic

vic-k

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:33 pm Post

Jaysen,

It was a bit like going on a blind date. I set off at 9am, full of joyful anticipation (truly), tinged with a modicum of apprehension.

I came home about 5-30pm, feeling as though I`d just spent the day, in intimately close proximity to a provocative and hypnotically beautiful woman. One who filled me with fearful tactillious lustfueled longings and desires, :twisted: whilst wearing a sweatshirt with the legend,..."You can look, but you betta not touch!", emblazoned across the boobline. In the background the Coasters were singing their 60s hit, `Poison Ivy` whence came the legend. :cry:

Gonna make a cheese buttie. Back shortly
vic

vic-k

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:12 pm Post

The interior photo (earlier in the thread ), is of the `Historic Reading Room`. To look at it, you wouldn`t dream, it was actually the library`s third floor, with yet another floor above it.

There are twelve, alcoves, six on either side( approx. 5mx5m sq), all lined with glass fronted bookcases. These bookcases, contain the most incredible array of rare books imaginable. The room has a gallery, `The Lantern Gallery`. This replicates the layout of the alcoves and their content, on the floor beneath.

I never reached the Lantern Gallery, because I spent so much time ogling and fantasising about the treasures on the lower floor. In the whole of my life, I have never paid such close attention to something printed on the spines of books(thousands of em). I was cross eyed when I left the library.

Just a few of the things I came across:
a) this could be of interest to Juddbert. `Carew`s Survey of Cornwall` printed in 1602, (I`ve just Googled it: http://west-penwith.org.uk/carew.htm )

b) Boccaccio`s Il Deccamerone. Printed 1542.

c) Le Livre D`Or de Victor Hugo. Printed 1883

d) Nicolo Machiavelli. Dell'arte della guerra (The Art of War) Printed 152?

e) This could interest Siren. A small display case exhibition covering the life of George Gissing ( of New Grub Street etc.etc.)

f) Alongside the above, a similar display covering http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/content ... ture.shtml.
g) In another room, the Activities gallery, I came across original copies of the Bible from 15/1600s; an original 5000 yr old Egyptian hieroglyphic bill of sale, by one priest to another, of two `offices` in a temple. It was written on a papyrus scroll over 12ft long; a similar exhibit, of an original bill of sale by one woman to another, of her house.

h) In the Rylands Gallery, I saw a papyrus fragment, known as the St John Fragment dating back to the 2nd centuryAD, which is thought by scholars, to be the earliest piece of New Testament in existence.

Upon proof of identity and address, I could acquire a Readers ticket, and thereby gain access to a huge amount of Rylands` treasures and peruse away in the Elsevier Reading Room on the 4th floor.

The contents of the Historic Reading Room are only a miniscule example of what the Library has to offer the lucky readers, who can provide some proof of genuine study, even of the most modest kind. For that reason, however, I have to say, that, for me, your humble local library, in the mall, fulfils, a far higher purpose, than does this gorgeous Hogwarts like treasure house. They service the wants and needs of us all. And admirably so in most cases.

I`ll go again, soon, but next time, with the antidote to Poison Ivy`s venom.
Take care
vic

da
dafu
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:54 am Post

Vic,

You should go back. Again and again in an easy-going rather than an agog way. Just paper and ink you know . . . with the scent of dreams.

Best

Dave

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:26 am Post

Vic,

Wot happened to your welder-prose? I will have to take back every churlish fing I said about you, old sod. And besides, me ancestors were from nearby Chorley. Anyway, you wrote a fine account of the library and early books. Please do keep it up, and spend more time on the Scriv upper decks.

Droo

Jaysen

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:45 pm Post

We need green emotos. As in green with envy.

One of my biggest laments is that I am not very confident in Latin, old english, or french. I know enough from my reading to get most cliches (and stumble though some personal favorite like early Arthorian legend). I think more than one ot two trips and suicide would be considered. Ancient books are the only reason I regret not getting a formal education (I don't trust translators).
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:21 pm Post

Hogwartian is the best description I can think of, to realistically describe Rylands. Even more so, since I stumbled across this blog last night:

http://curiousexpeditions.org/2007/09/a ... ter_1.html

The photo, below (included in the blog), has really pissed me off :evil: because it`s a part of Rylands, that, as far as I can tell, is never mentioned. I certainly couldn`t have got to see it. But! Just how much more Hogwartian could it possibly be! I`m gonna check it out. I suspect it`s the top floor, which is access denied to all but staff. I`m gonna see it, even if it means dressing up like Albus Dumbledore . Enough said!

Rylands aside, there are some truly beautiful libraries featured at the above blog. Hope you`s all enjoy them.

Ciou for now
Take care
Vic
Attachments
202146600_37b58ca97a.jpg
202146600_37b58ca97a.jpg (146.68 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

vic-k

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:48 pm Post

SORRY BIG SCREW UP, SORRY!!!

The above is a photo of `Klementium Library, Prague, Czech Republic`.

For some reason the photo of Rylands just doesn`t seem to want to load, only the tittle for it. I mistook the above for Rylands. :oops:

At least now I wont have to dsiguise myself as old Albus.

Blushing pink Vic

PS Bloody gorgeous though, isn`t it? Missed it when I was in Prague in 1994.
Wont miss it next time though!!

vic-k

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:08 pm Post

Ed
Ed Hart

Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm Post

Sorry for raising this ancient, dusty thread from the dead, but:

1) What "SF thread"? :?:

2) Awesome libraries. I just followed the images and links to this page. About halfway down the page I started to realize just how many books I'm not going to get a chance to read. Now I feel even more like Burgess Meredith in "Time Enough At Last". 8)

3) I had a temp job where I got a chance to check out the libraries and stacks at Fordham and Columbia. Overwhelming amount of material. Same reaction. Really wish I knew about 5 other languages, as I was strolling through there. Or had listened better in German or French class. :?

4) Looking at those images reminded me of a setting I can utilize soon, so cheers for that. :idea:

5) Speaking of nice places to sit and read, I always enjoyed the Sculpture Room at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (on the side facing the park). :)

On Topic: As to "why" I read, I just can't stop myself. Somebody showed me how to do it when I was three or four, and now I'm addicted. I'd rather read than almost any other activity you can think of (except one or two, but hey, I can still read for hours at time). I do it every day. I'm doing it right now, while I'm writing this. I just can't stop. (And I'll never read all of the books in the library, even at this rate. My spouse, who reads a novel in a weekend, will never read all of the mysteries in just our local branch. I may never even read all of the science fiction in my own collection, let alone all of my comic books. Oh, Henry Bemis, once I mocked your pain, now I live it!)

That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was, was all the time I needed...

ex
exegete77
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:28 pm Post

Also, back on topic, although I was not mentioned in the original thread or OP. I was math and science student in college and postgraduate education, so reading for me for many years was entirely of that nature. I would read biographies and historical accounts (having served many years as a Naval Intelligence officer). Then I studied theology, Greek, and Hebrew and that was my daily fare for 20 years.

After a breakdown twelve years ago, I was at the point where I could not even read my name nor write it. Once I regained some ability to read, the only level I could handle was simple fiction, specifically Zane Grey novels for about two months; it took me a while to even get through each of the novels. But over a period of three years I developed my reading proficiency again so that I could handle theological studies (and began teaching theology again). But I had seen value in reading fiction and still regularly read fiction for relaxation (period pieces, like Jacqueline Winspear or Charles Todd for post WWI). I travel a lot, so I take one fiction and one theological book with me on every trip. Thus, like Amber, I keep about 4-5 books going at all times, one by the bed, two by my chair, and several books by my computer (home office).

Sorry, perhaps a little too personal. But that is why I read fiction.