Marcel Proust's manuscript

Mąřĉėłő

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 pm Post

Although I am mostly a lurker around here, I felt compelled to share with you an image of a Proust's manuscript I got from Facebook. Maybe he would have appreciated to use Scrivener. :D

Marcel Proust manuscrit Du côté de chez Swann.jpg
Marcel Proust manuscrit Du côté de chez Swann.jpg (223.39 KiB) Viewed 2435 times

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:46 pm Post

And I thought that I was a messy worker! :)
Literature & Latte support team

homeport
Platform: Mac

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:56 am Post

wow that makes me feel neat :D
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 pm Post

wot's wrong with it? :?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:38 pm Post

Well, it's in French for one thing. How am I supposed to read that?
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

vic-k

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm Post

pigfender wrote:How am I supposed to read that?
wots wrong wi' y'? :shock: Only the squiggly bits are in French. The horizontal/vertical/diagonal lines and crosses are in English. Even I can read them.
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

jtranter
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:22 am Post

Dear M. Proust,

Thanks for submitting your new novel "A la recherche du Temps Perdu". We do prefer our manuscripts to be typed, and we'd be grateful if you would consider that for future work; it helps enormously with legibility, and reduces the chance of later misunderstandings.

While we all enjoyed reading it, some of our people felt that it could do with a little cutting here and there, to represent the story more clearly and immediately to the reader.

I attach a reader's report, which suggests a little more economy in the tale-telling, a more engaging narrative line, and an attempt to reach out and grab the reader's attention in the first few pages. We felt that a long discussion on the virtues of going to sleep early was perhaps not the best way to draw the reader into the plot to begin with. Perhaps one of the sex scenes later in the story could be brought forward here?

Sincerely,

John Tranter

PS: Oh, and a translation into English would help enormously; our French is not all that fluent, to be frank.
John Tranter
2010 iMac, 4Gb 1076 MHz RAM, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown Cherry switches) keyboard (Clicketty click!)

vic-k

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:16 am Post

jtranter wrote:PS: Oh, and a translation into English would help enormously; our French is not all that fluent, to be frank.
not to mention it's very...very...heavy reading :shock: :( About 10kg (and that's on a Kindle!)