Globes

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:20 pm Post

Great to see that In Bruges, Happy-Go-Lucky and The Reader have achieved recognition at the GGs, each in its own way an excellent and out-of-the-ordinary watch.

H
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Ve
Vermonter17032

Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:46 pm Post

I haven't yet seen those films -- living in rural Vermont, I generally do my movie viewing on DVD. But since you brought up the subject of nice, off-beat films, I'd also like to recommend The Visitor, the story of an emotionally dormant college professor whose passion for life is relit through an unexpected friendship.

Hu
Hugh

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 pm Post

Thanks, sounds interesting from the details on the IMDb. As a 2007 release it should have reached these shores by now, though I don't remember it doing so. But sometimes it takes movies forever to cross the Atlantic, even on DVD, so I'll look out for it.

H

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:45 pm Post

Hugh wrote:Thanks, sounds interesting from the details on the IMDb. As a 2007 release it should have reached these shores by now, though I don't remember it doing so. But sometimes it takes movies forever to cross the Atlantic, even on DVD, so I'll look out for it.

Hugh,
I`m 99.9% certain I`ve read a review of The Visiter somewhere in the guardian. If that`s the case it will be on release in the UK.
Vic
Take a gander at this: http://www.thevisitorfilm.com/ and http://www.filmdetail.com/archives/2008 ... e-visitor/
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Hu
Hugh

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:51 am Post

Thanks Vic. I didn't look carefully enough. The UK DVD goes on sale around the 9th February. I'll have to encourage my local video rental to get it in.

H