The Girl Who Saved …

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Wed May 17, 2017 9:29 am Post

lunk wrote:
xiamenese wrote:Currently reading The Girl who Saved the King of Sweden" by Jonas Jonasson—author of The Hundred Year-old Man who Climbed out of the Window and Disappeared—lent me by brother-in-law. I tried to read the latter, but gave up after a dozen pages, though I'm doing better with this one.

I am thoroughly bored by the unrelenting use of short sentences, but on the other hand the plots are so bizarre that I'm keeping going with it just to see how the author brings it all together to a conclusion.

But I'm not sure if I'll make it … the short sentences are getting to me!

Mark

Maybe it was the translator who changed the text into very short sentences? I have no recollection of very short sentences in the original book.

You may be right, and if so, the translator has done the author a disservice to my way of thinking.

I'm just over halfway through but haven't been able to get myself to pick it up again for the last couple of days, even though I've been casting round for things to do during an enforced period of rest. I've reached the point where I've lost any interest in finding out how it all ends, I'm afraid.

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.3, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …