Books on writing

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:55 am Post

Another Natalie Goldberg fan here although. While I have Writing down the bones my all time favourite book on writing is her book Wild Mind. Behind the zen references, there is a lot of practical advice, and considerable inspiration, to actually writing and moving the pen on paper. It is all about ignoring monkey mind and writing. Sadly*, I lent my copy to a friend and haven't seen it since. :(

*Sad for me at least, it seems to have worked out well for my friend. :wink:
Complete and utter NOMsense.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:50 pm Post

excuses! excuses! excuses! excuses! Excuses are no excuse!! :shock: tch!tch!tch!
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Mind-Living- ... 0553347756
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

nom

Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:33 am Post

vic-k wrote:excuses! excuses! excuses! excuses! Excuses are no excuse!! :shock: tch!tch!tch!
http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Mind-Living- ... 0553347756

Well, yes, I agree: Excuses are no excuse. Ten years of study with limited income, however, seems a more legitimate one. :wink:

Now that I am starting work, albeit slowly, perhaps this year will allow me to repurchase the writers' equivalent of… um… something that makes you do things a lot. :oops:

na
naquada
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 pm Post

I'm still waiting on David Hewson's 'Writing: A User Manual: A Practical Guide to Planning, Starting and Finishing a Novel' to come out on kindle (ironic that the paperback version is quicker appearing than an electronic one!) - http://tinyurl.com/89oy5b8

apparently another week or so until its kindled... David uses Scrivener as well, and although it doesnt look like this one is specific to scrivener like his 'writing a novel with scrivener' was... it looks a good reference book...
Associate of The Inner Magic Circle

My Blog - http://www.naquada.co.uk

Jaysen

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:55 pm Post

nom wrote:Now that I am starting work, albeit slowly, perhaps this year will allow me to repurchase the writers' equivalent of… um… something that makes you do things a lot. :oops:

What does work have to do with getting a spouse? And where are you that you can buy one?

I'm staring to worry about you.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

br
brookter

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:49 pm Post

naquada wrote:I'm still waiting on David Hewson's 'Writing: A User Manual: A Practical Guide to Planning, Starting and Finishing a Novel' to come out on kindle (ironic that the paperback version is quicker appearing than an electronic one!) - http://tinyurl.com/89oy5b8

apparently another week or so until its kindled... David uses Scrivener as well, and although it doesnt look like this one is specific to scrivener like his 'writing a novel with scrivener' was... it looks a good reference book...

I've just finished it and I found it excellent. It does mention and recommend Scrivener, but doesn't go into a great deal of detail -- it's not that kind of book.

na
naquada

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:13 pm Post

brookter wrote:I've just finished it and I found it excellent. It does mention and recommend Scrivener, but doesn't go into a great deal of detail -- it's not that kind of book.

thats good to hear... at lest i'm stalking the right book..

he did say its more about 'writing' than scrivener.... I found his other book that is specifically about scrivener very good as well...

trying to weigh up giving up on waiting on the kindle version and getting the paperback instead (which is ironic as i think the book was written in scrivener, which could have created the .mobi in a minute or two... I think his publisher obviously wanted word to then convert into kindle format :roll: :roll:
Associate of The Inner Magic Circle

My Blog - http://www.naquada.co.uk

br
brookter

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 pm Post

I decided not to wait... The only quibble I have with the paperback is that the black and white screenshots are just not big enough to give detailed information -- but as I have both Scrivener and Word anyway, it didn't really make any difference to me (and he's not trying to give a tutorial on them anyway!).

nom

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:29 am Post

Jaysen wrote:
nom wrote:Now that I am starting work, albeit slowly, perhaps this year will allow me to repurchase the writers' equivalent of… um… something that makes you do things a lot. :oops:

What does work have to do with getting a spouse? And where are you that you can buy one?

You have a spouse yes? And then you ask the relevance of work? Are you sure you have a spouse?

eBay.

You're worried? You should see my spouse.

Jaysen

Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:54 pm Post

nom wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

You have a spouse yes? And then you ask the relevance of work? Are you sure you have a spouse?

eBay.

You're worried? You should see my spouse.

Nom, I think you missed it. The spouse makes you "work a lot". Unless you are purchasing a spouse you are actually purchasing something that will prevent you from "working on important things". AKA whatever the spouse wants you to work on.

As you have disclosed the existence of spouse, I must admit to being concerned for spouse's sanity.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

nom

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:33 am Post

Jaysen wrote:Nom, I think you missed it. The spouse makes you "work a lot". Unless you are purchasing a spouse you are actually purchasing something that will prevent you from "working on important things". AKA whatever the spouse wants you to work on.

Nah, there's a difference between "missing" and "ignoring" (lthough I prefer the term, "selective attending"). ;)

Jaysen wrote:As you have disclosed the existence of spouse, I must admit to being concerned for spouse's sanity.

Despite the evidence of marriage to yours truly, she is in fine health. A truly remarkable woman!

Jaysen

Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:39 pm Post

nom wrote:Despite the evidence of marriage to yours truly, she is in fine health. A truly remarkable woman!

And mentally stable? She did marry you…
Jaysen

nom

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:18 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
nom wrote:Despite the evidence of marriage to yours truly, she is in fine health. A truly remarkable woman!

And mentally stable? She did marry you…

As mentioned, she's remarkable. I'm a lucky man.

ka
katieshare

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:16 am Post

There are some really good resources at www.writersoutpublsihing.com I have used their services in the past myself and they seem honest and straight forward.

Ta
Tacitus

Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:46 pm Post

katieshare wrote:I have used their services in the past myself and they seem honest and straight forward.
But useless at placing apostrophes if their link titles are anything to go by... :D

EG: http://www.writersoutpublishing.com/resources/ Preparing to Write You’re Book