Books on writing

Sin
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:33 am Post

Tacitus wrote:But useless at placing apostrophes if their link titles are anything to go by... :D

EG: http://www.writersoutpublishing.com/resources/ Preparing to Write You’re Book

It looks like a vanity press.

ja
jakekerr

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:44 pm Post

my latest fave rave = Attack of the Copula Spiders, by Douglas Glover
Publication Date: March 27, 2012. Biblioasis Press
Paperback Edition
ISBN: 978-1-92684-546-3

“Glover is a master of narrative structure.”
—Wall Street Journal
In the tradition of E.M. Forster, John Gardner, and James Wood, Douglas Glover has produced a book on writing at once erudite, anecdotal, instructive, and amusing. Attack of the Copula Spiders represents the accumulated wisdom of a remarkable literary career: novelist, short story writer, essayist, teacher and mentor, Glover has for decades been asking the vital questions. How does the way we read influence the way we write? What do craft books fail to teach aspiring writers about theme, about plot and subplot, about constructing point of view? How can we maintain drama on the level of the sentence—and explain drama in the sentences of others? What is the relationship of form and art? How do you make words live?
Whether his subject is Alice Munro, Cervantes, or the creative writing classroom, Glover’s take is frank and fresh, demonstrating again and again that graceful writers must first be strong readers. This collection is a call-to-arms for all lovers of English, and Attack of the Copula Spiders our best defense against the assaults of a post-literate age.
Jake in the rainforest

jtranter

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:42 am Post

Douglas Glover, author of "Attack of the Copula Spiders", should write a book explaining how to get rid of ten per cent of your potential audience, forever, without even trying. Just use the word "spider" in the title, and all arachnophobes -- about ten percent of the human race -- will never look at it again.
John Tranter
2010 iMac, 4Gb 1076 MHz RAM, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown Cherry switches) keyboard (Clicketty click!)

jo
joyousdance
Platform: Windows

Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:07 am Post

Thanks so much for recommending the Copula Spiders book. I am only a third of the way through and already think this might be the best book on writing I've ever read.

St
Stevenfield

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:39 pm Post

ph
phreaky

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:09 pm Post

Not seen it mentioned in this thread but I quite like The Story Book by David Baboulene. The cover suggests that it's aimed at screenwriters, but I know a couple of novelists who have also found the book useful.

Mr
MrDithers
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:02 pm Post

Here's my list of favorites:

The Breakout Noveilist by Donald Mass (this one is a big compilation of Writing the Breakout Novel and it's WtBN Workbook and The Fire in Fiction; he puts everything in those books in this one)
    Another second for Stephen King's On Writing
    The 101 Habits of Highly Successful Novelists by Andrew McAleer
    The Fiction Writer's Workshop by Josip Novakovich
    The Emotion Thesaurus by Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi
    The First Five Pages by Noal Lukeman
    How Not to Write A Novel by Howard Mittelman and Sandra Newman
    No Plot? No Problem! by Chris Baty
    Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Brown and Dave King
    You've Got a Book in You by Eilzabeth Sims (this one is a definite must have as it's the only other book out there that I've found that takes a fun lighthearted approach to getting you writing as opposed to just shoving technique down your throat; the only other one of this type that I know of being Chris Baty's book)
    The Writer's Idea Book by Jack Heffron
    Writer's Digests Write Great Fiction Series
Writing Fiction for Dummies by Randy Ingermanson and Peter Economy

Ra
Raziel01

Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:42 pm Post

I love a good book on the art of writing fiction, but after reading quite a few there are some stinkers out there. Some that I enjoyed and go back to are:

On Writing by Stephen King. A classic for all of the reasons already listed.
Your Writing Coach by Jurgen Wolff. Lot of good stuff in there.
How to be a Writer by Stewart Ferris. Enjoyable read and a good kick up the backside.
Elements of Style - nuff' said :)

And some on screenwriting -
Save the Cat by Blake Snyder. Some interesting stuff in there.
The Screenwriters Bible by David Trotter. A BIG book but jammed packed with info from formatting to structure to selling your screenplay.

I'm sure there are loads more I'm forgetting.

jtranter

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:06 am Post

The Hollywood scriptwriter Tommy Thompson once gave this advice to aspiring writers, after thinking carefully for a while.'Every day,' he said, 'no matter what else you do, get dressed.'
John Tranter
2010 iMac, 4Gb 1076 MHz RAM, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Filco Tenkeyless (Brown Cherry switches) keyboard (Clicketty click!)