What Is the Essence of "BOOK?"

ma
matt

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:05 am Post

Just out of curiosity, what backup options are available for the books you purchase?

Margaret mentions a house burning down and destroying all your books as a reason the Kindle may be better, but surely you are as much at risk if your Kindle stops functioning?
[Or that house fire claims your Kindle, and your backup drive!]

For me, I like having an iPod to carry my music around with me. But for 99% of the music I own, I still buy the CD and then rip it onto the iPod, rather than simply download the music. I like portability, but I guess I also like to have the real thing lying around in case of hardware failure (my backup consistency is terribly inept).

I think I would have the same reaction with books. If there comes a time when I can purchase a book in hard copy and also receive/create an electronic copy of it to carry multiple books with me on the train everyday, I would leap at the chance. When I am forced to choose between one or the other, I think I would still prefer to purchase a physical book than a download.

[Edit to add: I just watched the introductory video on amazon.com, so I know the answer to the backup option. I like the idea, although I think I'd prefer to be able to do my own backup as well if I wanted. It will be years before it is available in Australia anyway, so I won't need to worry for a while yet.

The only other problem, I guess, is it restricts your ability to share books you have read with others, or have 2 people reading different books at the same time.]

Matt

Ma
Margaret

Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:23 am Post

Amazon backs up books. I also have copies of all the ones I've bought on my computer since I'm having to download them there (poor wireless service where I live).

I admit, I'm taking a chance on Amazon being successful in this venture. I'm willing to do that, particularly in the hope they will be if enough other people take the same chance. If Microsoft could set computing standards, then maybe Amazon has the power to do the same for readers. If I were them, I'd try to make my format the standard and license it to other companies like Sony because in the long run, the money will be in the book sales, not the reader.

I do love the Kindle. I can't keep books, so I'm used to reading them and passing them on. After hearing everyone talk here and on Amazon, I realized that lots of readers are collectors, too. That's one thing I can say I'm not. The only person (or place) that gets hurt with my buying electronically is the library -- all the books I used to read went there.

I have one experience to share. I saw a picture of a Kindle disassembled and was shocked. It was a computer inside! No joke -- I think I was expecting to see a book. I never see the Kindle as a computer or electronic device - it's just a book with a few added features. It's been a pleasure to use, and I'd recommend it to anyone who's ready to move to an electronic medium and can afford the price (may it come down soon).

Margaret