help me out, recommend a killer nonfiction book for me...

dr
druid
Platform: Mac, Win + Linux

Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:38 am Post

Buckley meant it in the sense of "Don't wish for Heaven on Earth," a refutation to liberal thinking.
And then he got Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II.

Bo
Boys of Summer

Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:12 pm Post

ahhh..
Live and learn!

Thanks all.
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

be
benjirab

Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 am Post

For quality of writing, Andrew Marr's History of Modern Britain is a delight - just enough humour, just enough author's voice, just enough interpretation of the facts...

For density and diversity of material around a given topic (asymmetry, in this case) I'd go for Right Hand, Left Hand by Chris McManus (or maybe it was Left Hand, Right Hand - too busy reading the book to remember the title :roll: ).

I'm so regularly disappointed by fiction I find non fiction a great comfort to return to in between disappointments....

werebear

Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:27 am Post

I'm so regularly disappointed by fiction I find non fiction a great comfort to return to in between disappointments....

That is sadly so for me as well. The more I write my own fiction, the fussier I have become.

But, being an information junkie, I am glad to read good non-fiction.

Anything by Jack Olsen, true crime.

Jared Diamond writes anthropological studies. Guns, Germs, and Steel has delighted everyone I have lent it to.

Barbara Ehreinreich goes undercover to investigate economic realities. Nickel and Dimed is now a classic.

I was blown away by Deer Hunting with Jesus by Joe Bageant. It's a lyrically written, highly insightful book about the American working class.
WereBear

A work in progress...

http://wayofcats.com/blog

Bo
Boys of Summer

Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:09 am Post

Barbara Ehreinreich goes undercover to investigate economic realities. Nickel and Dimed is now a classic.

This is correct. A GREAT book! so is her newer one, Bait and switched. Brilliants Stuff.

H
"She watched him turn and walk out of the park, and she wondered about him all of the rest of the day, this strange man with the intense look, who stood in the middle of the park, in love with it."

bobueland

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:29 pm Post

vic-k wrote:Bob!
A Very Happy and Successful New Year
Vic

Hi Vic-k, Sorry didn't notice this until now. I wish you also a successful year :D . Love to read what you write, because you almost always write from an unsuspected angle :wink:

All the Best
Bob
Don't be a sissy, don't be a snob. Post a reply to Ueland Bob.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:12 pm Post

bobueland wrote:ove to read what you write, because you almost always write from an unsuspected angle

Coming from The Master, those words will be cherished. Thank you :D

Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

ba
bashosfrog

Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:53 am Post

Mountains beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder. A brilliant story about on of the world's one-offs.

bobueland

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:29 am Post

At the risk of being partial I'll mention

"If You Want To Write: A Book About Art, Independence and Spirit"

by Brenda Ueland
Don't be a sissy, don't be a snob. Post a reply to Ueland Bob.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:51 am Post

“I learned... that inspiration does not come like a bolt, nor is it kinetic, energetic striving, but it comes into us slowly and quietly and all the time, though we must regularly and every day give it a little chance to start flowing, prime it with a little solitude and idleness.”

Brenda Ueland quote
Attachments
2455_1.jpg
2455_1.jpg (1.89 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:37 pm Post

I'm currently reading Imperial Life in the Emerald City - Inside Baghdad's Green Zone, by Rajiv Chandrasekaran.

With almost every page I turn, I feel like like shouting "I don't believe it", Victor-Meldrew-like. But actually when I think about it, I believe it only too well.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

Sk
Skytouch

Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:42 am Post

A personal favorite of mine is Going Back to Bisbee by Richard Shelton. It is part travelogue, part autobiography, all set in SE Arizona.
Sky

(Opinions are my own, etc.)

Ve
Vermonter17032

Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:55 pm Post

Skytouch wrote:A personal favorite of mine is Going Back to Bisbee by Richard Shelton. It is part travelogue, part autobiography, all set in SE Arizona.

Wow. I can't believe someone else has the same affection for this book that I do.... Heck, I don't think I even know anyone else who has read it! Shelton beautifully evokes the high desert landscape, while exploring many human issues. Needless to say, I second your recommendation highly!

Steve

Sk
Skytouch

Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:34 am Post

Steve, thanks for your nice response. I was fortunate to live in Tucson in the early 80s, but did not discover this book until a few years later while seeking literary desert withdrawal therapy. :-)
Sky

(Opinions are my own, etc.)

Ve
Vermonter17032

Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:45 pm Post

Sky,

Though I live in New England, I love the southwest. It must have been nice living in Tucson. If you have any recommendations for other books about that area, I'd welcome hearing about them. Of course, I've read Edward Abbey -- Desert Solitaire is a favorite.

Thanks!

Steve