Summer reading

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:24 pm Post

I wrote a tale not too long ago, which opened with the words, “All the world conspires agin me.” I think it’s coming back to haunt me. Either that, or Siren is a witch! Just the day before she started this thread, I received The Art of Shen Ku, instead of Iain M Banks’, State Of The Art... which hasn’t yet arrived.

Inspired by this thread, I ordered Larry McMurtry’s Lonesome Dove, which duly arrived yesterday morning... and again this morning.

I ordered Exile and the Kingdom, The Rebel, and [i]Selected Political Writings, all by Albert Camus. Selected Political Writings arrived yesterday... it’s in French! I’m fluent in Stockpoteseian, Salfordian, Mancunian, a mid east Lancashire dialect of Scouse, with just a tenuous grasp of English, but as far as French goes, I can just about count up to 6: ern, der, twat, cat, sank, sex. Won’t surprise me if the other two are in French too! Merde! Merde!<-- (Google Translate).
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Siren
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:48 pm Post

I'm saying nothing! ;-)

You could ask M. le D to translate the Camus for you :)
Literature & Latte support team

vic-k

Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:01 pm Post

Siren wrote:'m saying nothing!
You! Y' f! could ask M. le D to translate the Camus for you
You y' floozy! Y' tryin' t' get me thrown overboard? :shock: His French is all his own! Even the French don't understand Le D's French! :?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Floss
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:41 pm Post

it may be time for you to consider frequenting a different outlet for your book purchases.
:€

vic-k

Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 pm Post

Floss wrote:it may be time for you to consider frequenting a different outlet for your book purchases.
Well, mousehound cus, If Siren ain't a witch, then Camus is my fault, should've double checked. As for the books I din't order, but received anyway, they haven't charged me, and they told me to keep them. No prob. Thing is pus, it never rains but it pours :wink:
Take care
Fluff's human
Vic

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:18 pm Post

Well, I'm with Lucy on this one: I tend to read lighter stuff in the summer. Unfortunately, this plan has been derailed due to the stoopid floods which meant that (some of) the books I was supposed to read over the past month have been pushed back into Summerville.

The following is a brief list of books that are either in my house ready to be read, on my 'holds' list at the library, or planned acquisitions (in no particular order):

- C++ QUI Programming with Qt 4.1 (by Jasmin Blanchette and Mark Summerfield)
- The Triumph of Caesar (by Steven Saylor)
- Excel VBA programming for Dummies (by John Walkenbach)
- 25 Deeds of Hanson Drake (by our very own BKE)
- Starship Troopers (by Robert Heinlein)
- Advanced Qt Programming (by Mark Summerfield)
- Bad Monkey (by Carl Hiaasen)
- Luther: The Calling (by Neil Cross)
- Running Blind (by Lee Child)
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:26 pm Post

Put 25 Deeds to the bottom of the pile ;)
Account closed January 2017

vic-k

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:04 pm Post

Well... things are looking up... I think :?
Camus' 'The Rebel, arrived this morning, and thankfully, it's in english. After reading the Preface and the Introduction, however, I'm not too sure whether or not I'd make more progress trying to read the French version of Selected Political Writings, :(

Foxtrot

Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:51 am Post

I can highly recommend Briar Kit Esme's "25 deeds of Hanson Drake". Just finished reading it; highly enjoyable and thought provoking.

Br
Briar Kit

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:12 pm Post

Foxtrot wrote:I can highly recommend Briar Kit Esme's "25 deeds of Hanson Drake". Just finished reading it; highly enjoyable and thought provoking.

Hello Foxtrot

That's a very kind and generous comment. Thank you so much…really glad you liked it.

Foxtrot

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:12 pm Post

You are very welcome but I would really like to know the lyrics of Monday's March Past, if possible please :D

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 am Post

You're not the first to ask :D

vic-k

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:44 am Post

Foxtrot wrote: but I would really like to know the lyrics of Monday's March Past, if possible please
Briar Kit wrote:You're not the first to ask

BKE,
I think Foxy was angling for an answer :wink: Is there one to be got? :?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013/ju ... NTCMP=SRCH
The Following quote is from the above article by Stephen Poole, in Saturdays Guardian Review.

Terry Eagleton was once the bad boy of English studies. His seminal textbook Literary Theory introduced generations of students to what their tutors feared was the mind-rotting influence of the continent.

That was enough for me... mind rot is right up my street, so I ordered it.

Camus’ Exile and the Kingdom arrived this morning. Short stories, in English, so I should be able to get my rotting head around them easily enough.
So... I reckon that’s me sorted for the Summer. :D
Ta-ta f' now
Vic

Br
Briar Kit

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:06 pm Post

Hello Vic

I *think* (assumed) that Foxtrot was asking a mischievously rhetorical question and just joking around with me, given that the Postscript of the novel gives the answer to that very question and points out that it has been asked before…hence my smiley-faced reply. If I give the complete answer here, it will spoil the story for people who have yet to read the novel.

Perhaps Foxtrot hasn't read the PS… I know that some people stop at The End of the main part of the novel and some stop at the Warning. I *think* most go on to read the Epilogue and then the Postscript after that … the Postscript answers a lot of questions. Or at least it tries to.

Kit

vic-k

Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:30 pm Post

Briar Kit wrote: If I give the complete answer here, it will spoil the story for people who have yet to read the novel.

Kit
Given Foxy's glowing praise for T25DoHD, I think we can take as a given that he thinks he's read it... all. So, just PM him with the answer to his question. :wink: :) No spoiler needed.
Take care,
Vic