Cormac McCarthy "No Country for Old Men"

so
sorrel
Platform: Mac

Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:00 am Post

Just to add my two cents - I love apocalyptic fiction, and I read every one I can get my hands on. Probably because I see that we are living a dream and it is going to end, and the end is going to be ugly. The Road is one of the best; its Pulitzer is well deserved. There are several others also devastating in the sense that you can no longer pretend life will continue to go on as we know it. I recommend Oryx and Crake and the Children of Men. I know there are others, but it's bedtime and my mind isn't working.

Oh, yes, we saw I Am Legend a couple weeks ago. I liked Manhattan with the cars abandoned and weeds growing thru the asphalt, but the hero driving around in his sparkling clean car was a little jarring. No one left in the world but him and the minimum-wage workers at the local car wash.
sorrel

arashi

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:12 am Post

sorrel wrote:Oh, yes, we saw I Am Legend a couple weeks ago. I liked Manhattan with the cars abandoned and weeds growing thru the asphalt, but the hero driving around in his sparkling clean car was a little jarring. No one left in the world but him and the minimum-wage workers at the local car wash.

I Am Legend is the only movie I've seen in the theater since Bourne Ultimatum in August. I liked the first half. The second half fell apart. One little thing kept nagging at me. Didn't the movie make a point at the beginning that all connections to the island were severed? That made me wonder how the lady and the child drove on and off the island. Perhaps I missed something, or am confused over which island was severed and isolated.

arashi
Everybody is in his own dream. The discrepancies that exist between the dreams are the problem. — Kodo Sawaki

Hu
Hugh

Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 am Post

arashi

I think that the woman explains at some point that they've arrived from South America by boat (which begs another obvious question...).

H

P.S. This raises the issue of plot-holes (see also the "Sarah Connor Chronicles" thread). Personally as a reader or viewer I don't mind them, as long as they're not yawning. In fact some say that if you're a writer faced with one it's better to play it up rather than down, drawing attention to it rather than disguising it. (Isn't that what happens in the voiceover at the start or end of one of the Terminators? I forget.)

In my view the problem with the second half of "I am Legend" was not that possible plot-hole, but the fact that the story and the visual treatment turned from something interesting and relatively unusual to something quite familiar.

But plot-holes deserve a whole thread to themselves.
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

KB
Site Admin

Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm Post

But plot-holes deserve a whole thread to themselves.

Oh yes, they do...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3594

MarcustheBlacksmith

Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:23 am Post

'Blood Meridian' is Cormack McCarthy at his densest, definitely my favourite of his. In it, a tale about a flat-mouthed kid whose only defining personality trait is his attraction to violence, who runs with a ragtag army of southerners as they trek down to Mexico to murder some Mexicans, but are instead butchered and scalped when they lose there way.

It's the most damning dystopian attempt at smashing the American frontiersman myth I've ever read, and it makes me want to write a similar novel about Australia's rocky (and largely disregarded) history.

Find me another author who can artfully toss off a paragraph about a tree hung with dead white babies (they hung like swollen white slugs, or fruit), or who is able to describe the rising sun over the countryside as the 'tumescent head of some giant purple phallus' and get away with it :twisted: Go on, I challenge you!
sincères amitiés,
Monsieur Clangy Bangy

But t'weren't the Almighty that lifted her nighty...'twas Roger the lodger, the dodger!