[LH4909] Formatting for .mobi

ke
keithyd
Platform: Windows

Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:20 pm Post

Hi again - I've attached the whole of the test project folder in zip format ... is that what you needed? Don't bust a gut over it because I'm sure I can fix it one way or another, and if the next iteration of the software fixes some of this stuff, it will help.
Thanks

PS I tried using KindleCreate - I'd forgotten how crap it was. :( Not many options and what there are, you can't change. I'll probably wind up exporting to .docx and then Calibring it into .mobi - if epub v.3 doesn't work, that is.)
Attachments
Test project 2.scriv.zip
(105.18 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:29 pm Post

KindleCreate is about 500mb of “huh?” in my opinion. :lol: I just use Kindle Previewer to create .mobi files in those odd cases where I want to use ePub to start with (usually to work on some post-compile formatting in Sigil).

ePub3 through Calibre should be fine for now, though as I mention the small bug in Mobi output should be fixed in the next update. What may not be fixed at that point is what I referred to before, how the “Ebook” compile format itself isn’t fully properly configured yet, which was causing the subtitle of the heading to end up without a style and consequently no CSS to format it.

As for your test project, the problem looks pretty simple to me: the first separator (and last sentence) have no style attached to them, they are just plain old text according to the compiler, and thus slated to be formatted like all other paragraphs.

Again, I feel it is generally best to use styles if you need to format something in a manner that is different from body text. But we are adding additional capabilities to allow one to be “sloppy” with formatting. The interface for these are in place, but not all of them are working yet properly as they were only just introduced. For future reference, uncommon alignment from the editor should by default be respected by the compiler, and thus you wouldn’t have to do anything special. The actual setting itself is in the new brush icon in the Formatting tab of Section Layouts, bottom left. As you’ll note it is checked off—but it doesn’t really work properly yet.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

ke
keithyd

Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:10 am Post

Thanks again - just to note I have been using Styles for Centered text, i.e. the Centered Text listing under the Styles formatting list, top left of the editor pane. Neither that or the little box icon for Centering seems to work 100%. I'm a big fan of Styles generally - anything that will make writing and formatting easier. :)

I think that's as far as we can go with this, so thanks for all your help. I continue to update the new versions as they arrive so perhaps Nirvana will arrive eventually!

ch
chrisdr2

Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:27 am Post

RC20 looks good for me - my headings and drop cap styles, display correctly.

Thanks!

AmberV

Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:02 pm Post

Great, thanks for the update!
Ioa Petra'ka

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:06 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Again, I feel it is generally best to use styles if you need to format something in a manner that is different from body text. But we are adding additional capabilities to allow one to be “sloppy” with formatting. The interface for these are in place, but not all of them are working yet properly as they were only just introduced. For future reference, uncommon alignment from the editor should by default be respected by the compiler, and thus you wouldn’t have to do anything special. The actual setting itself is in the new brush icon in the Formatting tab of Section Layouts, bottom left. As you’ll note it is checked off—but it doesn’t really work properly yet.

Ioa, lots of good information in your post this quote is from. And I have a specific question.

I'm getting very 'into' writing shared between a laptop and an iPad. No Macs available, so I am wondering for other reasons and now this one you mention, how I can alter or build fresh Styles for these projects?

As far as I am aware, there isn't any way yet with Scrivener Windows 3...or is there? If not when might it be planned?

Enquiring minds would like to know :)

(and are often thoughtful of your Spanish adventure, which it seems is having a kind of length one might recognize :) )

AmberV

Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:58 pm Post

I’m getting very ‘into’ writing shared between a laptop and an iPad. No Macs available, so I am wondering for other reasons and now this one you mention, how I can alter or build fresh Styles for these projects?

The stylesheet must be edited and created on the PC. When you’re on the go, you can use the styles and they should look roughly correct (fonts can be a problem as you’ve probably seen), but there is no interface for updating them.

So since you seem to be asking about creating styles on the PC, you could look through §17.3.2, Creating New Styles and the following section on redefining them, for a start. I believe the interactive tutorial has a much more concise introduction as well.

As for my adventure, as you note, at this point it is more a hearth at this point, I think. ;) I am very much enjoying living here, even though it is coming up to almost 1/4th of my time here having been spent under the “pandemic lifestyle”!
Ioa Petra'ka

narrsd

Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:19 am Post

Well -- that's wonderful to know, and all good information!

I'll be putting it to good use shortly, and so, thought about whether there was a global styles to add to. Then I thought of templates, and not only do they answer, but up front in your creating-styles writeup is that same suggestion.

I think I'm beginning to feel that the comprehensiveness of your manual writing could only, or at least readily, only accomplished on Scrivener itself :).

Great to hear about the Camino de Santiago life. I think it must be a kind of ideal, in a number of regards; and as far as the covidisolation, we're all practicing at present, hopefully seeing the wider sensations in life returning soon via the vaccines.

Would just note I've reread The Magus (second version), and enjoying Daniel Martin in savoury doses across the present. Always much to appreciate, mark in its time, learn....

Best and fortune,
Clive

narrsd

Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:50 am Post

p.s. the fonts, yes -- I'm anyway getting out of the habit of considering them closely in Scrivener, delaying for a finishing pass through Word or LibreOffice to set such things attuned to end destination.

But, definitely good to have mentioned it, thanks.