[SOLVED] Please, test “Check for Updates” in RC17

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:06 pm Post

I've got RC17 running under Crossover 20 on an M1 MacBook Air. I tried "Check for updates; it reported "up to date" with no crash.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.3, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 11.3, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.5 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ta
takirks
Platform: Windows

Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:53 pm Post

LAP wrote:To help us narrow this down, please confirm if you experience this crash using a virtual machine:- Parallels, WINE or Fusion? I don't believe any native Windows install are experiencing this crash - correct me if I am wrong.

Win 10 Pro, no virtual machine.

Si
SimWriter

Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:09 pm Post

Sorry LAP - Nice theory but my crashes are with a native Windows10 installation.

Ri
Rithe
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:40 am Post

Ok, mine is now working. I used CCleaner to make sure everything was gone in the Registry. As well as old install versions. All those were gone. And I did that before.

What I did differently this time was remove the old folder from Program Files. There were files left in the folder still. It's possible that the old QT library was left, and didn't get overwritten? Or it wasn't using the right one? Or there was another file in there that was causing the problem.

So, to all still having the issue. Uninstall Scrivener Beta. Find the folder where you installed it (default is Program Files/Scrivener) and delete ONLY the Scrivener folder.

ta
takirks

Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 am Post

Rithe wrote:Ok, mine is now working. I used CCleaner to make sure everything was gone in the Registry. As well as old install versions. All those were gone. And I did that before.

What I did differently this time was remove the old folder from Program Files. There were files left in the folder still. It's possible that the old QT library was left, and didn't get overwritten? Or it wasn't using the right one? Or there was another file in there that was causing the problem.

So, to all still having the issue. Uninstall Scrivener Beta. Find the folder where you installed it (default is Program Files/Scrivener) and delete ONLY the Scrivener folder.

OK... Well.

Went ahead and followed this same path, using CCleaner as well. Registry had a bunch of leftover crap still in it after the uninstall and zapping the folder I had Scrivener 3 working out of, which also had a ton of leftovers in it. Deleted it all, and voila, she now updates. First attempt at downloading RC 18 failed, possibly because it started doing so before I opened a project. Then, second time through, going from the Help dropdown menu in an open project, it updated fine to RC 18.

My supposition is that the uninstall ain't uninstalling everything properly, and since that's what I've been relying on, well... Yeah.

So, thanks to Rithe, the issue is solved on my system.

rw
rwfranz

Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am Post

Well, Check for Updates seems to be working. I get a dialog box saying 2.9.9.18 is available. I click "Download Update" and it start downloading (rather slowly, but it does do it).
Just another user.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:31 pm Post

Thank You, for your efforts tracing this guys! Most likely during the transition from Scrivener with Qt 5.12 to Qt 5.15 we have messed up some DLLs in the upgrade process and the uninstaller is not cleaning everything. We will check this further.

For anyone having the crash on Help > Check for Update, I would suggest full uninstall and ensure explicitly that the Scrivener installation folder is fully deleted (by default in "C:\Program Files\Scrivener"). I do not feel like that running any registry cleaner app is needed, as the crash is most likely caused by a mixture of DLLs within the installation folder. Still it would not hurt probably, if you know what you are doing.

Thank You All, guys! This was a tough issue to solve!

Si
SimWriter

Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:56 pm Post

Just to confirm that folder removal and reinstall also worked for me. Soundds like it's been nailed. Great news. Well done to Rithe for spotting the cause!

Camy
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:55 pm Post

Under Wine in Cinnamon 19.03 32bit
RC17 to 18 update worked beautifully until its final request to reboot. It didn't, but also didn't freeze.
After manual reboot it's fine.
ImageImage

MacPro 7.5 - Scrivener & Scapple
Lenovo - Ubuntu/Win 8.1- Scrivener & Scapple

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:45 pm Post

Camy wrote:Under Wine in Cinnamon 19.03 32bit
RC17 to 18 update worked beautifully until its final request to reboot. It didn't, but also didn't freeze.

Scrivener update shouldn't require a reboot. It doesn't on a full Windows system, unless you have multiple user accounts logged in at the same time (in this case some of the files that get updated may be held open by an account other than the user performing the upgrade, so Windows Installer can't update them and requests the reboot.) This is likely some issue with your Linux or WINE configuration and not anything to do with Scrivener directly.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

andrewbond
Platform: Linux

Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:21 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
Camy wrote:Under Wine in Cinnamon 19.03 32bit

Scrivener update shouldn't require a reboot. It doesn't on a full Windows system, unless you have multiple user accounts logged in at the same time (in this case some of the files that get updated may be held open by an account other than the user performing the upgrade, so Windows Installer can't update them and requests the reboot.) This is likely some issue with your Linux or WINE configuration and not anything to do with Scrivener directly.

I just updated to RC18 from within RC17 running under Crossover 20.0.4 on Fedora 33 (latest patches from this a.m.). Scrivener updated without any issues and no reboot was required.
Fedora 34
CrossOver Version 20.0.4
Scrivener Version: 3.0.1.0 64-bit

ro
robcee
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:23 pm Post

Successfully updated via the Help Menu > Check for Updates.

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit.

ma
marcyd

Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:33 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
SimWriter wrote:Please don't shoot the messenger - but Scrivener still shuts down after about 8 seconds. Sorry! I was so hopeful after reading the replies that have gone before.

Give some more info! Which version, 32 Bit or 64 Bit? Which version of Windows?

:)

Mark

I'm using Windows 10 64 bit and it's shutting down for me as quickly as I open it, also.

ma
marcyd

Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:14 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:For anyone having the crash on Help > Check for Update, I would suggest full uninstall and ensure explicitly that the Scrivener installation folder is fully deleted (by default in "C:\Program Files\Scrivener"). I do not feel like that running any registry cleaner app is needed, as the crash is most likely caused by a mixture of DLLs within the installation folder. Still it would not hurt probably, if you know what you are doing.!

Thank you! I didn't mess with the registry, but I did find two installation folders and after deleting those, I can check for updates and not have it crash. I'm on windows 10 64 bit.

ty
typer

Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:54 am Post

Before I could find the manual check for updates I was prompted. It downloaded. Then asked to apply. Then this happened.

I do not run with elevated permissions and it never prompted me for the Admin password. Perhaps it assumed I was admin?
Oops.jpg
Oops.jpg (45.58 KiB) Viewed 234 times

Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit, 12GB RAM, Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.804)

I downloaded the update manually and am running is as Admin and I have noticed a difference. This time it asked for an install location. It did not ask for an install location when it crashed during install (on either attempt I made)