Closes after 17 seconds

Du
Dustin_00
Platform: Windows

Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:59 pm Post

I think my last update was several days ago and it's been working fine.

Today I open Scrivener, and it looks like everything is fine, but after about 17 seconds, it closes.

I can make a quick edit, save, close, re-open just fine. But after 17 seconds, it will close no matter what I'm doing.

lu
luxia

Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:45 pm Post

I got the same problem this afternoon. Uninstall - reinstall doesn't help.
But switching to the non High DPI Beta resolve the problem (for now). But I'm on a Notebook, which means small screen, so responsive feature is quite important, so I will need High DPI on the future...

ra
raggededge

Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am Post

Just happened to me. Opened Scriv for the first time in a few days. Updated last week. Closed down several times but now has remained open.

Gr
Greslin

Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:55 pm Post

Same thing here. Have never had a problem with past betas, but this morning Scrivener x64 is consistently crashing to desktop after about 15-20 seconds, no matter what I do.

I've attempted uninstall/reinstall with no luck. Project files are on my local hard drive, so there's no network drive issue involved. I can also load Scrivener and leave it at the opening screen, without loading any previous project or session, and it will still crash after about 15-20 seconds. Running it with the logging batch file likewise doesn't help.

The only success I've had here was to install the 32-bit version. That seems to work fine without crashing, and at least allows me to work and have access to my project files.

ra
raggededge

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:43 am Post

Still happening.Yesterday it stayed open and usable after about five attempts. Today it won't remain open at all.

mi
minotaur

Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:40 am Post

Updated today. The same problem here. After ~20 sec Scrivener closed down several times. Win 10 x64.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:25 pm Post

Try booting into Safe Mode and disabling your anti-virus/Internet security program.

If Scrivener doesn't crash after those two measures are in place, then the problem is *not* with Scrivener per se, it's that something external to Scrivener is forcing it to shut down.

The next thing I would try is making sure that Scrivener is whitelisted in your AV/security program, so that it is allowed to run and the security program knows to leave it alone.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes -- Kevin Flynn

ma
marcyd

Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:40 pm Post

Thanks for the suggestions, but following your instructions made no difference. It still closes within seconds to a minute after opening.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:24 pm Post

This is a long shot, but has anybody experiencing this checked File->Options->General->Startup->Automatically quit...?

If it's off, what happens if you turn it on and change the amount of time to 60 minutes? It's possible that something flipped the switch on this feature internally and set it for about 20 seconds, with or without actually showing up in the interface, but as likely as that, toggling it on but setting the time to something much longer might override that phantom setting.

Edit: Maybe this is a 32 vs. 64 bit bug? What happens if you uninstall and then install the other "bit version"?
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

ma
marcyd

Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:12 pm Post

rdale wrote:This is a long shot, but has anybody experiencing this checked File->Options->General->Startup->Automatically quit...?

If it's off, what happens if you turn it on and change the amount of time to 60 minutes? It's possible that something flipped the switch on this feature internally and set it for about 20 seconds, with or without actually showing up in the interface, but as likely as that, toggling it on but setting the time to something much longer might override that phantom setting.

Edit: Maybe this is a 32 vs. 64 bit bug? What happens if you uninstall and then install the other "bit version"?

I uninstalled the 64 bit and installed the 32 bit. It's working, so maybe it is a difference in the "bit version".

wladimir
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:04 am Post

Sounds familiar.

The latest install of Scrivener for Windows Beta has been crashing on me since yesterday (Dec 3), regardless which file I am opening, either after a couple of seconds or after opening, sometimes it also freezes.

mi
minotaur

Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:22 am Post

Yes, 32bit version is working normally. 64bit constantly crashing.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:36 am Post

Could you please run Scrivener using ScrivenerLog.bat from the Scrivener installation folder. Leave Scrivener running and upload the log file(generated with the “log” subfolder) or copy/paste the text contents of the console window. Thanks!

Du
Dustin_00

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:21 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:Could you please run Scrivener using ScrivenerLog.bat from the Scrivener installation folder. Leave Scrivener running and upload the log file(generated with the “log” subfolder) or copy/paste the text contents of the console window. Thanks!

I can launch Scrivener 64-bit with the bat file and create a new blank project, but at no point is a Scrivener\log subfolder created.

cmd line output is:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Scrivener>ScrivenerLog.bat

C:\Program Files\Scrivener>rem @echo off

C:\Program Files\Scrivener>"C:\Program Files\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe" --log

C:\Program Files\Scrivener>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 pm Post

Sorry, missed to mention, run ScrivenerLog.bat with Admin rights, Shift+Right mouse click > Run as Administrator.