Closes after 17 seconds

Si
SimWriter
Platform: Windows

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:49 am Post

Hi Tiho and Greslin

Great spot!. I disconnected from the network and turned off the automatic update check as suggested. I can now succesfully use the 64 Bit Hidpi version. I have yet to work up the necessary enthusiasm to also try the 32 bit version. Ta muchly!

Simon

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:09 pm Post

Hi Guys, we are happy that disabling the Network and disabling the auto-update feature fixes the problem for you, but unfortunately we still cannot reproduce the problem to provide a reliable fix.
We found something that might be causing the crash, but will need your assistance to verify that it works and does not crash on your computers:

Please, download and test the new Scrivener installers provided from the following Dropbox links:
2.9.9.13 (64-bit) | 2.9.9.13 (32-bit)

After installing the new version try Help > Check for Updates. You should get a message showing that there is no newer version, without a crash. Thank You!

ta
takirks

Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:15 pm Post

In my case, all it does is drastically shorten the amount of time the program runs before crashing.

Edited to add that reverting to the 32-bit version that's on the original download for Beta 13 solves the problem; that runs and stays running.

Gr
Greslin

Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:39 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:After installing the new version try Help > Check for Updates. You should get a message showing that there is no newer version, without a crash. Thank You!

Confirmed here. New RC13 Dropbox beta, 32 bit version. Installs normally, "Check for updates" returns a normal "no update" popup with no crash. I turned the automatic update feature back on, restarted, loads normally with no crash now.

(Have not tested the 64-bit version. I suspect something different is going on there - the 32 bit version was working fine for me until the latest Win10 push update, but I'd switched to the 32 because the 64 was crashing.)

Si
SimWriter

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:00 pm Post

Hi Tiho,

I downloaded the 2,9.9.13 64 bit version and installed. This crashed out on first running. I had to disconnect from the network and turn off the automatic check for updates. This enabled me to reconnect to the network and run okay. Then Manually selecting Help "check for updates" closed Scrivener immediately.

Checking for updates seems to be the cause of problems for the 64 bit version - at least in my setup.

Regards
Simon

tiho_d

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:36 pm Post

One more test, guys. If you experience a crash with the newly downloaded Dropbox version, disable auto update and try the following. Import and open any web page within Scrivener. Use File > Import Web page(make sure the Research folder is selected and use any web page URL). Try loading the newly created web document. Do you get a crash upon loading the web page?

Thank you for your help tracing this bug!

Gr
Greslin

Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:42 pm Post

tiho_d wrote:One more test, guys. If you experience a crash with the newly downloaded Dropbox version, disable auto update and try the following. Import and open any web page within Scrivener. Use File > Import Web page(make sure the Research folder is selected and use any web page URL). Try loading the newly created web document. Do you get a crash upon loading the web page?

Thank you for your help tracing this bug!

I do not get a crash on the Dropbox RC13 32-bit. Imported www.google.com to Research and it worked just fine. (I'm not currently getting any crashes whatsoever on the 32-bit version.)

Si
SimWriter

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:06 pm Post

Tiho,

Imported a web page into the 64 bit version without problem. Then navigated to a text section in the manuscript then closed scrivener. Repened Scrivener and navigated to the imported web page in the Research Folder. It opened just fine. No crash.

Simon

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:56 pm Post

For what it's worth, I'm not crashing, but I'm not getting the update dialogue when checking for an update, either. (This is on both the prior version and rc 13, both 64-bit.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

so
solipsist2

Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:51 pm Post

On my system Win 10 64 bit scrivener was failing as Defender was not allowing the autosave feature.
Giving Defender the correct permissions for the file worked fine.
(Avast then followed by throwing out the same error - again by giving it permission Scrivener worked fine)

Ri
Rithe

Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:51 pm Post

I did an uninstall of 2,9.9.12 64 bit, cleaned up some extra stuff (old uninstalls that aren't valid) with CCleaner, and did a reinstall of RC 12. It was asking me to do the initial setup stuff, like Backup forlders. But I didn't get too far before it crashed. I haven't timed it, but roughly 17 sec.

I installed RC 13 a bit ago, and am not seeing any change. I haven't been writing, so I'll forgo trying the 32 bit to see if I can do something to help. What would be the most useful for you right now? Would a log help?

tiho_d

Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:35 pm Post

Hi Guys, we have a new set of installers, which will hopefully solve the crash or provide us with more info to trace it.

Please, download and test the new Scrivener installers provided from the following Dropbox links:
2.9.9.13 (64-bit) | 2.9.9.13 (32-bit)

If you still experience the crash upon Help > Check for Updates, please generate a log file file running ScrivenerLog.bat (with Admin rights) and attach the generated log file to this thread. The log file is generated within the "logs" subfolder. Copy paste from the console output will do the job too. Thanks!

Si
SimWriter

Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:59 pm Post

Tiho,

Installed the 64 Bit version. Crashed in usual time frame - presumably checking for automatic update. I didn't have a chance to change that setting before running. I'll perform more testing and generate a log tomorrow - I've got other stuff to do right now.

tiho_d

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:00 pm Post

Thanks for the update, SimWriter!

garpu
Platform: Linux

Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:02 am Post

The .bat file didn't work, but I started Scrivener invoking "--log." I didn't see anything interesting, although it slowed my computer waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down after I checked for an update. (I've got 16GB of RAM and a Ryzen 5...Scrivener shouldn't be hanging my system.)

I closed Scrivener, and my system recovered.
Attachments
scrivlog.zip
(13.13 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE