[RC12] Help > Scrivener Manual hangs the program

th
thomas.neuburger
Platform: Linux + Windows

Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:11 pm Post

A bug and a word of thanks. First the thanks: I really appreciate the additional horizontal expansion allowed in the Binder. It's now easy to see my highly hierarchical project at a glance. A small thing, but my life, at least, just got easier.

The bug: New install in a fresh directory. Executing Help > Scrivener Manual hangs the program. I can see (and open) the manual in the proper directory. Just can't get to it from the menu system. I had to force-quit the program (twice) to recover.

HTH,

Thomas

tiho_d

Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:31 pm Post

This loads the manual within your default PDF application (usually Adobe Reader). If you have a different application, auto-starting and loading the PDF manual might cause unexpected behavior. I personally could not reproduce the problem you describe. Please, let me know if someone else is having the same crash upon loading the manual. You can also try Help > List of All Placeholders, which is doing the same with a different PDF file.

OwenKelly
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:14 pm Post

Just for information, and in case the information helps, I have Sumatra PDF as my default pdf reader. On Windows 10 I had no trouble opening the manual or the list of placeholders. They opened and closed without affecting Scrivener at all.

th
thomas.neuburger

Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:24 pm Post

You can also try Help > List of All Placeholders, which is doing the same with a different PDF file.

Yep. That too hung my system. And the default PDF reader was already open with the manual loaded.

HTH,

Thomas