[LH4694] Delete words from Personal Word list?

Nightmarian
Platform: Windows

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:31 am Post

Seems like it'd be obvious, but eh. I can get to the list via options>corrections>spelling, but when I open it all I get is a list of my words and an "ok" and "cancel" button, but can't actually do anything with the words themselves (like delete them).

What am I missing? Thanks.

BC
BClarke

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:48 am Post

This is a bug.

The "+" and "-" buttons used to edit the list are under the left side of the word list, but they are not visible. The "+" button is on the left and the "-" button is in the right.

Charlson
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:14 pm Post

BClarke wrote:This is a bug.

The "+" and "-" buttons used to edit the list are under the left side of the word list, but they are not visible. The "+" button is on the left and the "-" button is in the right.

I agree. This is a bug. And, the "+" button is on the left and the "-" button is in the right, but on my setup it is a line above the OK and Cancel buttons.

FYI, you can find the actual file and (if you're daring) edit it with a text editor I believe.

Just go to you main hard drive (usually C:\) to Users\username\AppData\Local\LiteratureAndLatte\Scrivener and you should be able to find a file called wordlists.ini which has the actual list, comma separated, that you should be able to edit, but I'd make a copy first before trying it.

I haven't done it, and your mileage may vary, but if you really want the word gone it is another way.
Thanks,

Micah
ex-programmer and devoted fan

Scrivener for Windows 3 HiDPI RC11
Version 2.9.9.11 Beta (1078055) 64-bit - 14 Oct 2020
running on Windows 10 Home

Scrivener for Windows
Version 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019
running on Windows 10 Home

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:47 pm Post

Thanks, this has been fixed and will be available in the next update.

Nightmarian

Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 pm Post

Really appreciate it guys, lol, and glad to know it's being fixed next patch. I honestly sat there going crazy longer than I care to admit.

rw
rwfranz

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:03 am Post

Charlson wrote:Just go to you main hard drive (usually C:\) to Users\username\AppData\Local\LiteratureAndLatte\Scrivener and you should be able to find a file called wordlists.ini which has the actual list, comma separated, that you should be able to edit, but I'd make a copy first before trying it.

I haven't done it, and your mileage may vary, but if you really want the word gone it is another way.

I did it much earlier in the Beta, and it does work. (make a copy before editing, as mentioned). I don't recommend notepad as an editor. Something else, like Notepad++, Atom, or Sublime would work better. However, so long as Scrivener has a functional means of removing words from it, I don't recommend using a text editor to go in there and edit them (unless you have many, many words to remove. Clickity-clickety has never been my favorite option).
Just another user.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:41 am Post

Charlson wrote:Just go to you main hard drive (usually C:\) to Users\username\AppData\Local\LiteratureAndLatte\Scrivener and you should be able to find a file called wordlists.ini which has the actual list, comma separated, that you should be able to edit, but I'd make a copy first before trying it.

Yes, this is safe to do; just make sure to separate each word with a comma+space when adding/deleting. You'll need to restart Scrivener for the updates to be recognized in your project.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)