Possible to make a block of text appear in two documents?

Ch
CheezBallz
Platform: Windows

Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:13 pm Post

I know we can link to documents but here's my situation: I started my outline in a single document (ie writing it old school) rather than the Outliner view. I prefer this to the outliner view because I can bold, color code & highlight text (the outliner's labels are helpful but not enough).

As it's a screenplay, I wanted the structure to roughly be 40 cards (10/20/10 for the acts). I initially was short by quite a few scenes but while I've been working on the structure, I copied from my outline to the cards, and to keep everything consistent I've copying edits in one to the other & vice versa.

Is there any way to make a block fo text (1 paragraph or more) appear somewhere else, like as a card synopsis?

Amickie
Platform: Mac

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:03 pm Post

If you select the relevant block of text then right-click, you can use the 'Append Selection to Document' option to send the text to another document in the project. As far as I know there isn't an option to append the selection to another document's synopsis (though there is an option to append the selection to the current document's synopsis, under Documents > Auto-Fill > 'Set Synopsis from Selection' ). Is that sort of what you're looking for?
Alex
Literature & Latte Support Team

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:07 pm Post

The simple answer is No. The same block of text cannot appear in two documents. The same document might be displayed in different places/views (like in a Quick Reference editor window), but modifying the text in one place will modify all document views.

I would recommend splitting your document into subdocuments. Something that could help you a lot in this case is the command Documents > Split > with Selection as Title.

Amickie
Platform: Mac

Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:27 pm Post

^ and once you've got your subdocuments, you can easily set the document text as your synopsis using Documents > Auto-Fill > Set Synopsis from Main Text. Useful if you plan on using the Corkboard to view your "cards".
Alex
Literature & Latte Support Team

Ch
CheezBallz

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:14 pm Post

OK, I just have to clean up my process. I like the Outliner a lot but not being to emphasize text isn't working to hell my figure out plotholes.

@tiho_d splitting documents could turn one doc into a bunch of cards on the corkboard?

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:34 pm Post

Splitting the main document into 5 sub documents for example will result into 5 Corkboard cards, and 5 rows in Outliner view.

Ch
CheezBallz

Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:32 pm Post

Got it, thank you!