Anyone else seen this?

Charlson
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:19 pm Post

Here's another problem I've been meaning to write up for some time. Occasionally, while I'm editing, and my project tries to autosave, this happens:

I click on okay, and continue on my way, and then I don't see it again for some time. (I have my autosave interval set fairly frequently, trusting technology as little as I do, but I still might not see the problem again for days.)

I'll say it anyway, though it ought to be obvious: I have plenty of space (764 GB) and I do have write access.

The one thing I will say is that it started after my update to RC9, but I also assigned drive F as a virtual drive around the same time I updated to RC9, so perhaps it's a Windows 10 thing (a fluky Windows 10 thing that happens infrequently) and not a Scrivener thing.

But, just in case it isn't Windows 10 acting up...
Thanks,

Micah
ex-programmer and devoted fan

Scrivener for Windows 3 HiDPI RC11
Version 2.9.9.11 Beta (1078055) 64-bit - 14 Oct 2020
running on Windows 10 Home

Scrivener for Windows
Version 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:49 am Post

This error shows that your project document file has been locked from an external process and Scrivener can not write your latest changes. This might happen if you have your project placed inside a Cloud shared folder, and the project is under a continuous sync.

Charlson

Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:03 pm Post

Well, my mapped F-drive does point to a sub-folder of my dropbox, so, yes, this project is in the cloud. I guess I need to change my auto-save interval to a bit higher.

Thanks for explaining this to me.
Thanks,

Micah

Scrivener for Windows

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:25 pm Post

From your screenshot it is not visible the cloud syncing root path you are using. I would recommend using default cloud syncing paths, like "Dropbox", "OneDrive", etc. and not "MyDropbox", "USER_OneDrive" paths, as Scrivener auto-chooses the best crash-protected file write algorithm based on the project location. If you use custom folder names, Scrivener will fail auto-detection. The above message shows that your project folder is not auto-recognized as a cloud syncing folder. Please, let me know the full sync-folder path, excluding the project path if you do not like revealing it.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:46 pm Post

Charlson wrote:Well, my mapped F-drive does point to a sub-folder of my dropbox, so, yes, this project is in the cloud. I guess I need to change my auto-save interval to a bit higher.

As a temporary workaround, try mapping to your project via the normal Dropbox path instead of using your mapped F: drive. If the problem/behavior goes away, then you know for a fact there's something about that mapping that is causing havoc.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Charlson

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:41 am Post

devinganger wrote:
Charlson wrote:Well, my mapped F-drive does point to a sub-folder of my dropbox, so, yes, this project is in the cloud. I guess I need to change my auto-save interval to a bit higher.

As a temporary workaround, try mapping to your project via the normal Dropbox path instead of using your mapped F: drive. If the problem/behavior goes away, then you know for a fact there's something about that mapping that is causing havoc.

I would, but the whole reason I mapped the drive so that I can show the full path in the title bar of Scrivener (which, with a file in my dropbox, can lead to some very long titles if not mapped!)

I think the real problem isn't that it's in the cloud, slowly updating, but that I had been updating too often (somehow I'd set it to update after 5 seconds of inactivity. I guess I pause frequently and it was still updating from last time. It's set to 30 seconds now, which should give dropbox time to do its thing.)

I'll see if that works first before unmapping.
Thanks,

Micah

Scrivener for Windows

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm Post

Charlson wrote:
devinganger wrote:As a temporary workaround, try mapping to your project via the normal Dropbox path instead of using your mapped F: drive. If the problem/behavior goes away, then you know for a fact there's something about that mapping that is causing havoc.

I would, but the whole reason I mapped the drive so that I can show the full path in the title bar of Scrivener (which, with a file in my dropbox, can lead to some very long titles if not mapped!)

Hence the "temporary" as a troubleshooting step. If you stop using the mapping and the problem goes away, you know that you need to tackle the base problem (long path name) in a different way.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes