[LH4663] Doing Find in Scrivenings Mode

Go
GoMach
Platform: Windows

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:31 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:Hmm … interesting. I thought I would... ... [run] under Crossover... [to] ...reproduce your problem in this somewhat different environment, and if so, I would open it in Mac-Scriv, run "Zap Gremlins" and see if that made any differenceI

Good plan.

xiamenese wrote:First problem: ...because it has the .scriv extension, the Mac interface treats it quite rightly as a project package and when double clicked, Scrivener opens and gives an error,.. ...it contained 2 folders, ScriveningsTest.scriv and Test.scriv.

Yes. I tried to make that clear by listing the two project folder. But I was targeting Windows users, though a Mac test is a good idea.

xiamenese wrote:In other words, the top-level ScriveningsTest.scriv is not actually a project package. but removing the .scriv extension resolved that and reverted it to a normal folder giving access to the two projects. I tell you this, just in case you ever need to share projects with a Mac-user. If a folder has a .scriv extension, to the Mac it is a Scrivener package and that must only contain the project.scrivx and associated folders and files.

Hmmm... that makes me wonder how people use DropBox to share among their Windows and Mac computers. I had the impression they worked easily. Do they need some conversion or folder renaming before that's possible? (I ask IN PART because I have an older iPad with a high res screen that I'll likely use as my portable Scrivener quite soon.)

xiamenese wrote:Before I had a look at it using the normal Mac UI, I ran Crossover-Scrivener and navigated to the internal ScriveningsTest.scriv. It opened without problem … and I could scroll across document boundaries, just as I can using Mac-Scrivener. I do not have to run the little Test.scriv for this to happen. Just to make sure, I closed the Crossover-Scrivener and Crossover itself, then re-opened them both … and I can still cursor across boundaries, when looking at the editor from both the search results and the binder.
I can only assume that in this, Crossover makes use of some of the MacOS-native code that is not available in Windows.
Mark

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks for the update Mark (xiamenese).

Go
GoMach

Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 pm Post

JUST TO BE SURE THIS IS QUICKLY AVAILABLE TO THE DEVELOPERS (should they ever want it):
My original post shows the link to the video of this happening.
Two small projects are in this zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjnaojriot8wo ... v.zip?dl=0
    ScriveningsTest.scriv - the project that has the problem
    test.scriv - the small test project used ONLY to open and close, which "fixes" the original project
1. Open project ScriveningsTest (assure it's in Scrivenings mode with all 3 documents).
2. Do a search for the word test. It SHOULD search all three files, but the BUG IS it will only search the first.
3. Open the project called test, then Immediately close test. The search will likely work across documents.
4. To repeat, just close ScriveningsTest again, then reopen and it may fail to search across documents again.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:24 am Post

Hmmm... that makes me wonder how people use DropBox to share among their Windows and Mac computers. I had the impression they worked easily. Do they need some conversion or folder renaming before that's possible? (I ask IN PART because I have an older iPad with a high res screen that I'll likely use as my portable Scrivener quite soon.)

Dead easy … I've been doing it for years, using Dropbox, the late lamented Cubby, and for the last few years Sync.

Install the Dropbox app on the PC and Macs involved; create a suitably named folder (Directory) within the Dropbox folder that is created when you install the app—if you plan to use iPad, Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener is the default where iOS Scrivener looks, I believe—and move project.scriv with all its contents—not just project.scrivx!!—into that folder. Share that folder with the other party who will access the project. If you want to share different projects with different people, put them in separate folders shared appropriately.

Just read the relevant advisories on the Lit&Lat support pages, and be aware that two people can't both have a given project open at the same time—not a problem for me, as my collaborator is 7-8 hours time-zone away—and that you must wait until Dropbox has fully sync'ed on each device/computer before shutting down or opening the project. Note, this restriction is not exactly the same iOS devices, but I can't advise of any matters there, except that it will take a long time for the initial sync' of a big project on iOS particularly, as I don't actually use it.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Go
GoMach

Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:21 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
Hmmm... that makes me wonder how people use DropBox to share among their Windows and Mac computers... [snip]

Dead easy … I've been doing it for years, using Dropbox, the late lamented Cubby, and for the last few years Sync.

Install the Dropbox app on the PC and Macs involved; create a suitably named folder (Directory) within the Dropbox folder that is created when you install the app—if you plan to use iPad, Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener is the default where iOS Scrivener looks, I believe—and move project.scriv with all its contents—not just project.scrivx!!—into that folder. Share that folder with the other party who will access the project. If you want to share different projects with different people, put them in separate folders shared appropriately.

Just read the relevant advisories on the Lit&Lat support pages, and be aware that two people can't both have a given project open at the same time—not a problem for me, as my collaborator is 7-8 hours time-zone away—and that you must wait until Dropbox has fully sync'ed on each device/computer before shutting down or opening the project. Note, this restriction is not exactly the same iOS devices, but I can't advise of any matters there, except that it will take a long time for the initial sync' of a big project on iOS particularly, as I don't actually use it.
:) Mark

Perfect. Thanks. (I'm currently ONLY wanting to share between my Win10 box and iPad.)

Great warning re sync'ing and exclusive access. With my relatively strong tech background, I'm very sensitive to those things. I even wait for a full sync before REENTERING the project (e.g. if I forgot to do something and want to open it immediately after closing).

Jestar
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:44 am Post

GoMach wrote:JUST TO BE SURE THIS IS QUICKLY AVAILABLE TO THE DEVELOPERS (should they ever want it):
My original post shows the link to the video of this happening.
Two small projects are in this zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjnaojriot8wo ... v.zip?dl=0
    ScriveningsTest.scriv - the project that has the problem
    test.scriv - the small test project used ONLY to open and close, which "fixes" the original project
1. Open project ScriveningsTest (assure it's in Scrivenings mode with all 3 documents).
2. Do a search for the word test. It SHOULD search all three files, but the BUG IS it will only search the first.
3. Open the project called test, then Immediately close test. The search will likely work across documents.
4. To repeat, just close ScriveningsTest again, then reopen and it may fail to search across documents again.

Just to make things interesting, I opened the problem project in Mac Scrivener and tested out the find in scrivenings mode. It worked as expected - no problem. I tried all of the clean-up (remove blank lines, page breaks, zap gremlins, etc.) and saved it to see if that might make a difference in how RC9 works with the project now.
Win 10 Ent. 64-Bit 20H2
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 32 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA Quadro K600
Scrivener Version: Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019 & Version: 2.9.9.15 Beta (1175332) 64-bit - 19 Jan 2021

Jestar
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:48 am Post

Jestar wrote:Just to make things interesting, I opened the problem project in Mac Scrivener and tested out the find in scrivenings mode. It worked as expected - no problem. I tried all of the clean-up (remove blank lines, page breaks, zap gremlins, etc.) and saved it to see if that might make a difference in how RC9 works with the project now.

No difference in RC9. It still searches in one document at a time while in scrivenings mode. Opening up another project, closing it, and then back to the problem project and find in scrivenings mode works normally. I'm stumped.
Win 10 Ent. 64-Bit 20H2
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 32 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA Quadro K600
Scrivener Version: Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019 & Version: 2.9.9.15 Beta (1175332) 64-bit - 19 Jan 2021

Go
GoMach

Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:09 am Post

Jestar wrote:
Jestar wrote:Just to make things interesting, I opened the problem project in Mac Scrivener and tested out the find in scrivenings mode. It worked as expected - no problem. I tried all of the clean-up (remove blank lines, page breaks, zap gremlins, etc.) and saved it to see if that might make a difference in how RC9 works with the project now.

No difference in RC9. It still searches in one document at a time while in scrivenings mode. Opening up another project, closing it, and then back to the problem project and find in scrivenings mode works normally. I'm stumped.

Wow. I expected it to work after begin saved on a Mac. Thanks for that test. Very interesting.

LAP

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:13 am Post

This has now been fixed and will be available in next release. Thank you all for reporting this issue.

narrsd
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:30 pm Post

Just a hello, and very deserved appreciation, Lee.

As for a long time, now. You put together, what is a great thing for many,
and so you can accept that smile from me.

Clive