[LH4663] Doing Find in Scrivenings Mode

Go
GoMach
Platform: Windows

Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:11 am Post

Version: 2.9.9.9 Beta (1017023) 64-bit - 14 Aug 2020 (HiDPI)
Win10 Home, 16GB RAM (8.7GB in use)

In Scrivenings mode, A find window cannot move forward past the file it's in... (will not find beyond the first file boundary). HOWEVER, Previous WILL find across all documents in the scrivenings mode. After that worked, I tried going to the next again, but it will not go past a document boundary.

(In case it's helpful, I have a video.)

Go
GoMach

Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:17 pm Post

jl
jljovano
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:23 pm Post

GoMach wrote:Version: 2.9.9.9 Beta (1017023) 64-bit - 14 Aug 2020 (HiDPI)
Win10 Home, 16GB RAM (8.7GB in use)

In Scrivenings mode, A find window cannot move forward past the file it's in... (will not find beyond the first file boundary). HOWEVER, Previous WILL find across all documents in the scrivenings mode. After that worked, I tried going to the next again, but it will not go past a document boundary.

(In case it's helpful, I have a video.)

Could not reproduce, here it searchs in next documents.
Did you try to activate then deactivate "search in this document" ?

I

Amickie
Platform: Mac

Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:19 pm Post

I can't reproduce this either. If you create a new project and try the same test there, do you get the same results?

Also, I notice from your video that you're storing your project in Google Drive. We strongly advise against using Google Drive to store live Scrivener projects, as that sync service doesn't handle Scrivener's project file format well. We have an advisory about this here: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... e-advisory
Alex
Literature & Latte Support Team

Go
GoMach

Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:40 am Post

jljovano wrote:Could not reproduce, here it searchs in next documents.
Did you try to activate then deactivate "search in this document" ?
I

Thanks. I'm trying to find a setting or option for "search in this document" but so far, cannot find it.

Go
GoMach

Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:55 am Post

Amickie wrote:I can't reproduce this either. If you create a new project and try the same test there, do you get the same results?

Also, I notice from your video that you're storing your project in Google Drive. We strongly advise against using Google Drive to store live Scrivener projects, as that sync service doesn't handle Scrivener's project file format well. We have an advisory about this here: https://scrivener.tenderapp.com/help/kb ... e-advisory

The new test project worked correctly. Hmmmm. I can find no option to search a specific document (e.g. in scrivenings mode). What options/settings might cause this?

(FYI: The project is now on DropBox, but still has this issue. I always use GD and did that before realizing L&L's recommendation.)

I don't know the internals of Scrivener (I'm fairly new, but mostly tech savvy) so I'll ask, Is there a way to "rebuild" or "reindex" or some concept like that? (I didn't notice anything like that in "Project" menu.

Go
GoMach

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:48 am Post

I HAVE WORKAROUND! But, this is getting weirder.

1. Open my project (search forward won't work across documents in Scrivenings mode)
2. Open my newly created test project (in addition to my regular project) AND CLOSE the test project IMMEDIATELY doing NOTHING in it. After that, my regular project searches correctly. I'm not kidding.

Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmdpvkbsnyjvz ... 5.wmv?dl=0

I use RegEx a lot. My project search often has RegEx selected. But I can switch to "Any Word" (instead of RegEx) and it will NOT REMEMBER IT when I close, then open the project again. MAYBE I installed RC9 when RegEx was selected.
I do NOT think this issue is related (but I thought was... it once started working after selecting "Any Word"... likely because I opened the test project and wasn't watching for that).

BC
BClarke

Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:18 pm Post

GoMach : Perhaps you didn't notice, but Dropbox also has some limitations against using it to save your projects. Go up one level with the link Amickie gave you and you will find articles about the main cloud sharing services and L&L's recommendation for each.

Amickie
Platform: Mac

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:12 pm Post

BClarke wrote:GoMach : Perhaps you didn't notice, but Dropbox also has some limitations against using it to save your projects. Go up one level with the link Amickie gave you and you will find articles about the main cloud sharing services and L&L's recommendation for each.

If you're going to use a cloud service, we actually recommend Dropbox. It's best equipped to handle Scrivener's package file format, and it's the only cloud service you can use to sync with Scrivener for iOS, if that's something you're interested in doing.

GoMach wrote: I don't know the internals of Scrivener (I'm fairly new, but mostly tech savvy) so I'll ask, Is there a way to "rebuild" or "reindex" or some concept like that? (I didn't notice anything like that in "Project" menu.

Try using the File > Save and Rebuild Search Indexes menu option. Then close the project and reopen it. Does that fix it?
Alex
Literature & Latte Support Team

Go
GoMach

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:25 pm Post

BClarke wrote:GoMach : Perhaps you didn't notice, but Dropbox also has some limitations against using it to save your projects. Go up one level with the link Amickie gave you and you will find articles about the main cloud sharing services and L&L's recommendation for each.

Thanks BClarke. I'm using it only on one device right now. However, I'm very aware of sync issues and did read this article
(i.e. "Using Scrivener with Cloud-sync Services" AND the section "Sharing a Project Between Computers..."), Admittedly, it's sometimes easy to miss a point. For me, having it on a shared service is important.

Go
GoMach

Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:31 pm Post

Amickie wrote:
GoMach wrote: I don't know the internals of Scrivener (I'm fairly new, but mostly tech savvy) so I'll ask, Is there a way to "rebuild" or "reindex" or some concept like that? (I didn't notice anything like that in "Project" menu.

Try using the File > Save and Rebuild Search Indexes menu option. Then close the project and reopen it. Does that fix it?

Ah, thanks. No, it didn't fix it. Ugh. I wish it did.
So I immediately opened the test project, closed it, and it works again. This old C++ programmer doesn't understand why yet, but, as crazy as it sounds, it DOES work... consistently over MANY tries. I'm very glad you told me to try it on a new test project... that led to this discovery.

There is some connection between the running Scrivener projects. Somehow, the simple setup of running the test project is affecting the actions of my regular project. (My regular project begins working when the test project is OPENED... closing makes no difference... so I open regular, open test, close test, then begin working for the day.)

Go
GoMach

Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:05 am Post

GoMach wrote:I HAVE WORKAROUND! But, this is getting weirder.

1. Open my project (search forward won't work across documents in Scrivenings mode)
2. Open my newly created test project (in addition to my regular project) AND CLOSE the test project IMMEDIATELY doing NOTHING in it. After that, my regular project searches correctly. I'm not kidding.

Here's a video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmdpvkbsnyjvz ... 5.wmv?dl=0

Hi all... just an update. The workaround above continues to work EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is likely a good programming clue, for what it's worth.

Warning: nonsense coming in case programmers want a laugh: I suspect my project is improperly setting some value that all projects share. The newly created simple test project changes that value to what it should be. Thus it always works now with only the minor inconvenience of opening and closing that test project. The two projects DO interact in some way.

skribeF

Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:22 am Post

Windows Version: 2.9.9.9 Beta (1017011) 64-bit - 14 Aug 2020

I'm experiencing the exact same bug with a nasty twist.

Searching Next will get me to the second document (the first occurrence of the searched word) in the scrivening, but no further. Previous will find the searched word as expected despite the Not Found popup displaying every time. However, if I then try Next again it CTD.

File->Save and Index search didn't help.

My draft is 148k words.

skribe

Jestar
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:30 am Post

GoMach wrote:Hi all... just an update. The workaround above continues to work EVERY SINGLE TIME. This is likely a good programming clue, for what it's worth.

Warning: nonsense coming in case programmers want a laugh: I suspect my project is improperly setting some value that all projects share. The newly created simple test project changes that value to what it should be. Thus it always works now with only the minor inconvenience of opening and closing that test project. The two projects DO interact in some way.

GoMach, I think this may be related to the other scrivenings mode situation we noted with the arrow keys in the HiDPI version. Find works perfectly well here in the non-HiDPI version. I haven't tried it in the HiDPI version yet - don't have access to my Surface Pro right at the moment.
Win 10 Ent. 64-Bit 20H2
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 32 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA Quadro K600
Scrivener Version: Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019 & Version: 2.9.9.15 Beta (1175332) 64-bit - 19 Jan 2021

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:55 am Post

Jestar wrote:Find works perfectly well here in the non-HiDPI version.
Same with me, Scrivenings Find works fine on non-HiDPI RC9.
I’m just a customer.