[LH3738] [LH4650] Search function wielding confusing results

iq
iqleisner
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:46 am
Platform: Windows

Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:52 pm Post

I'm having a few problems with the search function.

First, when the search paramenter is set to "All", it will yield documents that contain a certain word not in the text itself, but in its notes/comments/descriptions. I believe this is the intended result (although I don't remember this being true for Scrivener 1), but the problem is, the word is not highlighted if it's contained within a note/comment/description. For documents with many notes, for instance, I have to browse and read everything until I find the word I'm looking for.

Second, and more importantly, I'm under the impression that the software is unable to highlight any search results containing an apostrophe: "Peter's friends", or "Beggar's Bluff", or anything of the sort. The documents containing the term do appear, but the term isn't highlighted, and so once again I must browse through long documents to find it.

Finally, and that's just a small detail, the first document that any search yields doesn't highlight the searched term, unless I click on another document, then click back on the first. Then the highlight appears.

I apologize if any of this is confusing, and I can clarify with images or further explanations if necessary.

Thanks a lot!

iq
iqleisner
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:46 am
Platform: Windows

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:52 am Post

Any light on this, folks?

Online
User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24864
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:57 pm Post

Yes, searching for “All” has always meant precisely that. If you only want to search within the Text, there is an option for that toward the top. Note that Scrivener doesn’t distinguish between “comments”, “footnotes” and “text”. They are all considered the same thing, even though the GUI separates them. The highlight function is only performed in the main editor area though.

For documents with many notes, for instance, I have to browse and read everything until I find the word I’m looking for.


This is an unfortunately missing implementation that is already recorded. When using Ctrl+F to find text (which Project Search automatically sets up for you), the F3 and Shift+F3 shortcuts for walking through search hits should be scrolling to comments & footnotes that contain matching terms, and placing the cursor within them. If the inspector tab is closed though, nothing is meant to happen.

The documents containing the term do appear, but the term isn’t highlighted, and so once again I must browse through long documents to find it.


It sounds like you may not be using previous mechanism for finding hits, which should be easier than manually scrolling. That’s not to say that search terms shouldn’t be highlighting, that’s a bug obviously, but you will find them even though they aren’t passively highlighted, using the previously mentioned shortcuts. You can also open the find panel and use the buttons, if you prefer.

Finally, and that’s just a small detail, the first document that any search yields doesn’t highlight the searched term, unless I click on another document, then click back on the first. Then the highlight appears.


I’m not seeing that one myself. There is a short delay though, maybe that is longer in large projects?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

iq
iqleisner
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:46 am
Platform: Windows

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:57 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Yes, searching for “All” has always meant precisely that. If you only want to search within the Text, there is an option for that toward the top. Note that Scrivener doesn’t distinguish between “comments”, “footnotes” and “text”. They are all considered the same thing, even though the GUI separates them. The highlight function is only performed in the main editor area though.

For documents with many notes, for instance, I have to browse and read everything until I find the word I’m looking for.


This is an unfortunately missing implementation that is already recorded. When using Ctrl+F to find text (which Project Search automatically sets up for you), the F3 and Shift+F3 shortcuts for walking through search hits should be scrolling to comments & footnotes that contain matching terms, and placing the cursor within them. If the inspector tab is closed though, nothing is meant to happen.

The documents containing the term do appear, but the term isn’t highlighted, and so once again I must browse through long documents to find it.


It sounds like you may not be using previous mechanism for finding hits, which should be easier than manually scrolling. That’s not to say that search terms shouldn’t be highlighting, that’s a bug obviously, but you will find them even though they aren’t passively highlighted, using the previously mentioned shortcuts. You can also open the find panel and use the buttons, if you prefer.

Finally, and that’s just a small detail, the first document that any search yields doesn’t highlight the searched term, unless I click on another document, then click back on the first. Then the highlight appears.


I’m not seeing that one myself. There is a short delay though, maybe that is longer in large projects?


Thank you for your reply! I think the main issue here really is the search for terms with an apostrophe, which aren't highlighted. It can be hard to find them even with the shortcut. Do you think I should create a separate post for that, or report it somewhere else?

User avatar
Jestar
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:51 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:34 pm Post

iqleisner wrote:I think the main issue here really is the search for terms with an apostrophe, which aren't highlighted. It can be hard to find them even with the shortcut. Do you think I should create a separate post for that, or report it somewhere else?


I've seen that reported and has a bug tracking number attached. I can't find it at the moment.
Win 10 Ent. 64-Bit 20H2
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 32 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA Quadro K600
Scrivener Version: Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019 & Version: 3.0.1.0 (1274136) 64-bit - 28 Apr 2021

User avatar
Jestar
Posts: 433
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:51 pm
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:37 pm Post

Jestar wrote:
iqleisner wrote:I think the main issue here really is the search for terms with an apostrophe, which aren't highlighted. It can be hard to find them even with the shortcut. Do you think I should create a separate post for that, or report it somewhere else?


I've seen that reported and has a bug tracking number attached. I can't find it at the moment.

Found it: LH4291.
Win 10 Ent. 64-Bit 20H2
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 32 GB RAM
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
NVIDIA Quadro K600
Scrivener Version: Version: 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019 & Version: 3.0.1.0 (1274136) 64-bit - 28 Apr 2021

Online
User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24864
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:48 pm Post

Thanks, Jestar, it looks like that one refers specifically to how searching for ' or " did not in the past yield results for phrases including: “ ” ‘ ’ instead. That part should be working now, but perhaps when that was changed, it broke the highlighting code. I’ve linked the tickets just in case. The highlighting issue is now marked LH4650. All of these given forms of embedded quote punctuation fail highlighting, though naturally it would be unusual to find anything other than ’ inside of a word.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
LAP
Posts: 1033
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:25 pm
Platform: Windows
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:20 am Post

This has now been fixed and will appear in next release. Thanks for reporting.