Change search highlight colour (and note re. manual)

jje
Platform: Windows

Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:00 am Post

Hello everyone,

I know there's a way to change the colour used to highlight search terms; I've used it in the past, but now I can't find it. I suspect I'm being more than usually dumb, but please could someone remind me where this setting is?

Also, I tried looking it up in the manual and there doesn't appear to be a section that deals with customising Scrivener's appearance. Either it's not well marked or it's missing; either way, may I suggest that it needs a bit of attention, as there are a lot of useful (but potentially confusing) options there?

Thanks

AussieDoc

Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:39 pm Post

Is it one of these settings you're talking about?

search.PNG
search.PNG (42.39 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Bought Scrivener 1.9.16.0 but loving 2.9.9.14 Beta
And I will write 500 words
And I will write 500 more...
:D

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:05 pm Post

jje wrote:I know there's a way to change the colour used to highlight search terms; I've used it in the past, but now I can't find it.
In addition to the settings AussieDoc pointed out, which apply to search in Comp Mode, play around with the settings related to "Search" and "Find" under File > Options > Appearance > Textual Marks > Colors.

I'm pretty sure you want Search Text Selection Background, but the other settings may be useful to tweak as well.

Don't feel bad. This question has been asked a few times recently. Textual Marks must not be an obvious enough name for some of these settings. I went looking a few months ago for Spell Check Underline and someone had to direct me to Textual Marks--I never thought to look there. :oops:

Best,
Jim
I’m just a customer.

EM
EMPisek

Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:25 pm Post

JimRac wrote:
jje wrote:I know there's a way to change the colour used to highlight search terms; I've used it in the past, but now I can't find it.
In addition to the settings AussieDoc pointed out, which apply to search in Comp Mode, play around with the settings related to "Search" and "Find" under File > Options > Appearance > Textual Marks > Colors.

I'm pretty sure you want Search Text Selection Background, but the other settings may be useful to tweak as well.

Don't feel bad. This question has been asked a few times recently. Textual Marks must not be an obvious enough name for some of these settings. I went looking a few months ago for Spell Check Underline and someone had to direct me to Textual Marks--I never thought to look there. :oops:

Best,
Jim

Perhaps it would be better labeled as Textual Markings or Adjusting of Textual Markings.
:arrow: I'm not just a tester,.. I'm a user :!:

jje

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:32 am Post

Belated thanks for helpful posts. Yes, "Search text selected background" is the setting I was looking for. Sadly, however, the setting does not work in [RC8] HiDPI -- I just changed the default yellow to green, hit apply, did a search -- yellow highlighting used. When I changed the setting I did not get the "Scrivener needs to restart" message, but I tried restarting anyway -- same result. I will post this as a new bug.

LAP

Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:38 am Post

This has been fixed and will be available in RC09 when it is released. Thank you for reporting.