<RC7> Very slow startup for first document, or...?

ad
adrm
Platform: Windows

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:53 am Post

Is it just me, or is RC7 much slower than previous releases when opening the first document after application startup?

Even an almost empty document has a noticeably long delay (5-10 seconds?) before showing on-screen, while later documents open as snappily as before. I don't recall this happening with earlier releases.

The message Scrivener displays for 80% of the delay is "Loading spell checker engine".

ad
adrm

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:14 am Post

Not sure if this is relevant:

1) The problem is only noticeable on my (modern) laptop, where I have tested both high-dpi and regular versions.
2) My desktop PC does not show this issue.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:46 am Post

Change the spell checking dictionary and try again. Try reinstalling the dictionary or using a smaller dictionary for the language.

ad
adrm

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:02 pm Post

I timed it, and the actual time it takes for the first document to display is 36 seconds.
Once Scrivener is active, opening another document is near-instantaneous.

I now believe that my earlier reference to dictionary loading may be misleading/irrelevant.
1) I switched dictionaries without seeing any difference.
2) More importantly, if I open Scrivener without loading a document, i.e. the Project Template dialog shows, the dictionary 'engine' has already been loaded (I think). Opening a document from Open Recent still takes the full 36 seconds.

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:41 pm Post

adrm wrote:I timed it, and the actual time it takes for the first document to display is 36 seconds.

I now believe that my earlier reference to dictionary loading may be misleading/irrelevant.
2) More importantly, if I open Scrivener without loading a document, i.e. the Project Template dialog shows, the dictionary 'engine' has already been loaded (I think). Opening a document from Open Recent still takes the full 36 seconds.

1) How big is your project?
2) Are you opening in Scrivenings Mode?
3) Is "Backup on open checked?

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

ad
adrm

Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:59 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:
adrm wrote:I timed it, and the actual time it takes for the first document to display is 36 seconds.

1) How big is your project?
2) Are you opening in Scrivenings Mode?
3) Is "Backup on open checked?

:)

Mark

Hi Mark.

1) As little as 5 words total in a single file/scene
2) No
3) No

ad
adrm

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:57 pm Post

Problem solved.

By analyzing Scrivener's wait chain I noticed that the spool service was the 'bottleneck'.

Apparently, Scrivener tried to connect to a network printer that was offline and was stuck in a non-responding state before timing out.

Solution: setting another default printer.