Download 32-bit or 64-bit Beta?

Ge
GenderKitten
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 2:35 am
Platform: Windows

Sat May 30, 2020 2:43 am Post

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a silly question, I'm not much of a technological person.
What is the difference between the 2 versions of the new Beta? Any recommendations on which one to download?
For context, I'm working on a fairly old Dell - but with an i7 core processor. Poor thing has ~35 tabs open at any given time on multiple browsers...
TIA for your help!

User avatar
Daniela Wolfe
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows
Location: Utah

Sat May 30, 2020 2:53 am Post

64-bit or 32-bit refers to the processor architecture. Seeings as all i7 processors are 64-bit, it's preferred to run a 64-bit application. 64-bit cpus are backwards compatible, so there's nothing to stop you from using the 32-bit version, but why would you when you're computer is capable of running the 64-bit version?

Without getting too deeply into the techno babble, generally speaking 64-bit apps run better on 64-bit processors because 32-bit applications only allow the application to use up to 4 gb of RAM due to the limitations of the 32-bit architecture, 64-bit allows the application to make use of all the system's RAM.

Basically, the 32-bit version is for legacy support and the 64-bit version is for newer devices. While your laptop is on the older side it still has the capability of running the 64-bit version .
Have a deliciously demented day,

Image

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Sat May 30, 2020 4:24 am Post

In addition to the CPU architecture that was mentioned, you also need to know which version of your Windows OS you have installed. It doesn't matter if your CPU is 64-bit capable if you only have 32-bit Windows installed -- you won't be able to run 64-bit apps. And you won't be able to run the 64-bit Windows if your CPU can't do it.

So generally, figure out which version of Windows you are running and install the matching version of the beta. There are edge cases for why you might install a 32-bit app into a 64-bit OS, but they aren't applicable for most people -- and those people almost certainly already know who they are. :)
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Te
TeaDrivenDev
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 3:01 am
Platform: Windows

Sat May 30, 2020 5:49 am Post

In all likelihood, you have a 64-bit operating system; it's been the standard for a number of years now. The easiest way to find out is to open Explorer and look at your C: drive - if it has both the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders, it's a 64-bit system; if there's only one "Program Files" folder, it's 32-bit, and then only the 32-bit version of Scrivener will work.

Ta
TadeoBlanco

Sat May 30, 2020 9:01 am Post

TeaDrivenDev wrote:In all likelihood, you have a 64-bit operating system; it's been the standard for a number of years now. The easiest way to find out is to open Explorer and look at your C: drive - if it has both the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" folders, it's a 64-bit system; if there's only one "Program Files" folder, it's 32-bit, and then only the 32-bit version of Scrivener will work.


Simpler suggestion, click the Start menu, then right click on This PC then click the bottom option, Properties

As you can see 64 bit OS in this instance. Your process may be slightly different as I run Start 10 menu system to avoid the abomination that is Win 10 default.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 6.58.29 pm.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 6.58.29 pm.png (34.34 KiB) Viewed 364 times

Te
TeaDrivenDev
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu May 28, 2020 3:01 am
Platform: Windows

Sat May 30, 2020 5:43 pm Post

Your process may be slightly different

That's why I suggested the Explorer method; it works exactly the same on every computer from XP through Windows 10. ;-) (I didn't want to assume Win 10, as they said it's an older machine.)

User avatar
Daniela Wolfe
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows
Location: Utah

Sat May 30, 2020 8:13 pm Post

TeaDrivenDev wrote:In all likelihood, you have a 64-bit operating system; it's been the standard for a number of years now. .


Certainly since 2008 when the i7 line of processors was first introduced. Which is why I didn't bother mentioning it.
Have a deliciously demented day,

Image

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Sat May 30, 2020 9:35 pm Post

I never assume a given answer is going to benefit only the person asking it. Takes just a few more seconds to mention and helps people down the road. Win-win!

(I've also seen people do some really weird stuff when helping others refurbish older gear. Knew a guy who hated 64-bit Windows because of his first run-in with 64-bit XP, had never bothered to learn differently, and was still installing 32-bit Windows 8 and 10 on relatively decent modern gear.)
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Ta
TadeoBlanco

Sat May 30, 2020 10:05 pm Post

TeaDrivenDev wrote:
Your process may be slightly different

That's why I suggested the Explorer method; it works exactly the same on every computer from XP through Windows 10. ;-) (I didn't want to assume Win 10, as they said it's an older machine.)


And this has been pretty consistent since Win 3.1. On some it might be called This Computer, This PC, but pretty much the same, minor differences that the average user would have no problem understanding. Apart from identifying 32/64 it also provides useful information and a shortcut to other functions.

User avatar
Daniela Wolfe
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm
Platform: Linux + Windows
Location: Utah

Sat May 30, 2020 10:28 pm Post

devinganger wrote:I never assume a given answer is going to benefit only the person asking it. Takes just a few more seconds to mention and helps people down the road. Win-win!

(I've also seen people do some really weird stuff when helping others refurbish older gear. Knew a guy who hated 64-bit Windows because of his first run-in with 64-bit XP, had never bothered to learn differently, and was still installing 32-bit Windows 8 and 10 on relatively decent modern gear.)


Kudos to you for your attention to detail, but I suppose my experiences have made me a bit of a pessimist. I've run (and helped run) a few different forums over the years. I used to leave very detailed responses, until realizing that people kept popping in and asking the same basic questions with only subtle variations. Very few people make use of the search on a forum, and I saw no benefit to writing a response covering the caveats which didn't apply to that particular poster. So I simply write a response tailored to each poster.
Have a deliciously demented day,

Image