Install for Release Candidate 6 hangs

dr
drmajorbob
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Thu May 28, 2020 3:46 am Post

When it should be loading files, I get the following. It ignores X and Cancel but responds to Back ... for what it's worth. When I use Back, it ignores X and cancel again (Task Manager here I come), but it looks like a normal dialog at least.

I'm running Windows 10 under Parallels on a Mac.

ALSO: when I get to Task Manager, it has the same disease as Scrivener's install. See the 2nd image.

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 22.39.10.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 22.39.10.png (697.73 KiB) Viewed 510 times


Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 22.51.16.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 22.51.16.png (667.98 KiB) Viewed 506 times

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24196
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Thu May 28, 2020 2:48 pm Post

With the system itself in such a state that it cannot even draw Task Manager properly, I'd reckon a reboot would be in order.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

User avatar
Scriptdoctor
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:15 am
Platform: Linux

Fri May 29, 2020 5:17 am Post

Probably unrelated, but I cannot install RC6 in Wine. I have only had an install issue once before in the RC's.

https://i.postimg.cc/Y0WP0d7F/Scrivener-RC6-install-error.png
Scrivener Windows RC version (when I can get it to install on Linux)

jw
jwhitten
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:42 am
Platform: Windows

Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:06 pm Post

It hung on me when I did the auto-update through the program. The program crashed soon after I pressed ok. When I restarted Scrivener, I went back into the help menu and tried it again and everything worked normally without issue.

dr
drmajorbob
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:26 pm Post

AmberV wrote:With the system itself in such a state that it cannot even draw Task Manager properly, I'd reckon a reboot would be in order.


Reboots don't help, and now -- trying to download the installer again -- the download hangs (on the Mac).

dr
drmajorbob
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:29 pm Post

I stopped the download, tried again, and I got an installer that works.

Maybe the earlier download was corrupted somehow.

User avatar
krastev
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 am
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:32 pm Post

drmajorbob wrote:
AmberV wrote:With the system itself in such a state that it cannot even draw Task Manager properly, I'd reckon a reboot would be in order.


Reboots don't help, and now -- trying to download the installer again -- the download hangs (on the Mac).

If you have a Mac why are you trying the windows version? It makes no sense to me.
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

dr
drmajorbob
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:38 am
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:41 pm Post

krastev wrote:
drmajorbob wrote:
AmberV wrote:With the system itself in such a state that it cannot even draw Task Manager properly, I'd reckon a reboot would be in order.


Reboots don't help, and now -- trying to download the installer again -- the download hangs (on the Mac).

If you have a Mac why are you trying the windows version? It makes no sense to me.


It doesn't matter why, but it's pretty simple. I help people who use Windows.

Oh, and downloads go faster on the Mac, so I download the install there and move it to Windows.

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:08 pm Post

krastev wrote:If you have a Mac why are you trying the windows version? It makes no sense to me.


Boot Camp? VMware Desktop or some other virtualization? Preferred browser setup on Mac and downloaded files saved to shared storage with networked Windows machine?

As long as they aren't trying to install the Windows installer under MacOS, who cares where they download it?
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

User avatar
krastev
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 am
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:42 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
krastev wrote:If you have a Mac why are you trying the windows version? It makes no sense to me.


Boot Camp? VMware Desktop or some other virtualization? Preferred browser setup on Mac and downloaded files saved to shared storage with networked Windows machine?

As long as they aren't trying to install the Windows installer under MacOS, who cares where they download it?

I know how, I was asking why. And installing it under VM is not the same as installing it on a real Windows machine, ain't it? The problem may caused by the VM and not Scrivener.
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

User avatar
Scriptdoctor
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:15 am
Platform: Linux

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:45 am Post

krastev wrote:The problem may caused by the VM and not Scrivener.


I have been using the betas and RC's on Wine using Linux. With the numerous betas and RC's, I have only had the install fail twice. The first time I left it until the next Beta. The second time is now. I can't update and I can't re-install. It is possible it is an error with Wine but from where I sit the probability is that it has something to do with the installer in RC6.
Scrivener Windows RC version (when I can get it to install on Linux)

User avatar
krastev
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:21 am
Platform: Windows
Contact:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:30 am Post

Scriptdoctor wrote:
krastev wrote:The problem may caused by the VM and not Scrivener.


I have been using the betas and RC's on Wine using Linux. With the numerous betas and RC's, I have only had the install fail twice. The first time I left it until the next Beta. The second time is now. I can't update and I can't re-install. It is possible it is an error with Wine but from where I sit the probability is that it has something to do with the installer in RC6.

That only reinforces my point.

Lots of users, myself included, have no problems installing Scrivener on the officially supported platforms. It's your right to try to install it and use it on some obscure VM or unsupported OS, but I don't see how you can fault the software for your failed experiment.

Anyhow, chasing and fixing bugs that don't affect the officially supported systems is a waste of time. Time that can be spent to advance the development of the software.
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

User avatar
narrsd
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:34 pm
Platform: Win + iOS

Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 am Post

Scriptdoctor wrote:
krastev wrote:The problem may caused by the VM and not Scrivener.


I have been using the betas and RC's on Wine using Linux. With the numerous betas and RC's, I have only had the install fail twice. The first time I left it until the next Beta. The second time is now. I can't update and I can't re-install. It is possible it is an error with Wine but from where I sit the probability is that it has something to do with the installer in RC6.


Scriptdoctor, why don't you PM a user here named Garpu.

He's been very sharp on Linux, Wine, etc., and has run and contributed on Scrivener a great deal.

Might have jumped in here, had you put Linux in the title of your post...

User avatar
xiamenese
Posts: 4326
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 am
Platform: Mac
Location: London or Exeter, UK.

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:49 am Post

@Scriptdoctor, I installed it on my Mac using Crossover, and it installed more quickly than any previous beta or the stable 1.x. So either the problem is that your version of WINE lacks one of the dependencies or your download is corrupted—which does happen.

Also, in the dedicated "Scrivener on Linux" sub-forum there is already a thread started by @garpu on problems with WINE 5.

Go there.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.4, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 13.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

User avatar
AmberV
Posts: 24196
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:30 am
Platform: Mac + Linux
Location: Ourense, Galiza
Contact:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:56 pm Post

Krastev, this is a discussion board. People should feel welcome to come here and discuss whatever issues they are having, as others might have experienced the same and have advice for them.

If the topic is of no interest to you, like virtualisation, then go spend your time productively in threads that are. Coming in here and questioning why anyone would ever want to install Scrivener on a VM isn’t helping them figure out the problem they are facing.

Instead I would like to extend my gratitude to drmajorbob, and anyone else who takes the time to research, purchase and install virtualisation tools in order to contribute their time and provide solid help to Windows users. I’m humbled to be working on a project where people would do that.

And as for whether virtualisation is fine to use—it is. I use it for 99% of the QA, support and referencing I need to do with Windows. I also get the best screenshot quality through the VM because I can take advantage of my Mac’s native display—so using a VM benefits the quality of the user manual as well. Scrivener isn’t a hardware driver. It, a program written in a cross-platform toolkit that is already itself one step removed from native operation (which is itself a blurry and difficult to define stack of toolkits), really doesn’t care that Windows is, at a fairly deep level, being fooled into thinking its working with metal, instead of code simulating metal so well that Windows will install itself and run on the simulation (and even in some cases, as I understand it, it is working with metal at full speed).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles