[NB] How to consolidate all open Scrivener projects?

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:07 pm Post

philjaq wrote:Since Scriv 3 for Windows was to bring us up to the Mac level, I immediately spent some time hunting to see how to achieve a tabbed display in Beta11, without success as this thread clearly spells out.

The goal is to bring feature parity *where possible.* In this case, from what I understand, the tabbed display is a feature that's available in the Mac OS programming framework -- it got added in by Apple a few versions back, so wasn't difficult for KB to support in the Mac version. (In fact, depending on how Apple added it in, KB may not have needed to make any code changes at all other than recompiling with a newer version of the Apple dev tools/SDK to pick up the updated libraries.)

In the Windows/Qt version, apparently the tabbed interface is a separate class of window controls that isn't unified with the type of windows controls being used in Scrivener. It would be a much larger job to go back through and adjust all the behavior, and the cascade of side effects would probably be fairly significant -- hence why we're not seeing it during the beta (at least to this point.) Those kind of wide-scale changes would most likely break a lot of existing functionality for a feature that's a "nice to have" but not a "need to have."
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

ph
philjaq
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:44 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:
philjaq wrote:While hunting under the Window menu drop-down listing, I came upon "Bring all to front" which gave me momentary hope. But it doesn't do anything visible as far as I can see and the manual doesn't shed any light on the purpose of this item.

This will pull all open Scrivener project windows to in front of other open apps.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. That explains why I didn't see anything happen when I clicked on that item. I always have Scrivener open on a separate desktop - I mostly have only one application per desktop.

I still like tabbed items rather than separate windows.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:08 pm Post

philjaq wrote:I still like tabbed items rather than separate windows.

Yeah, a lot of us would like that as an option, at the very least, but if I remember correctly the devs said they would take a look at it after the v3 release and not before. In the meantime, at least multi-project works smoothly! I have a widescreen Dell curved monitor and can place project windows side-by-side to refer back and forth -- something I can't easily do with a tabbed interface.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Charlson
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:04 pm Post

jandrewnelson wrote:I'm on Windows and use https://www.stardock.com/products/groupy/. Works perfect. I can get tabs in Windows, Scrivener, or both.

I'm—intrigued. I'm assuming if I wanted to drag and drop between windows I'd have to (temporarily?) ungroupy them?
Thanks,

Micah
ex-programmer and devoted fan

Scrivener for Windows 3 HiDPI RC11
Version 2.9.9.11 Beta (1078055) 64-bit - 14 Oct 2020
running on Windows 10 Home

Scrivener for Windows
Version 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019

An
AndrewHarvey
Platform: Windows

Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:18 am Post

Charlson wrote:
jandrewnelson wrote:I'm on Windows and use https://www.stardock.com/products/groupy/. Works perfect. I can get tabs in Windows, Scrivener, or both.

I'm—intrigued. I'm assuming if I wanted to drag and drop between windows I'd have to (temporarily?) ungroupy them?

Based on jandrewnelson's suggestion I'm now trying Groupy. Its got a 30 day free trial and is very cheap if or when I chose to buy it. (I've had one glitch with MS Word so far). It doesn't look like you have to 'ungroupy' them to drag and drop. For Windows explorer you can grab a folder in one tab, drag it into the tab you want it in (which then opens) and then drop it where you want it to land.
Writer and Publisher of SF & Fantasy
Platforms: Windows and Android
http://www.haguepublishing.com
http://www.andrewjharvey.com

Charlson
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:05 pm Post

AndrewHarvey wrote:
Charlson wrote:

Based on jandrewnelson's suggestion I'm now trying Groupy. Its got a 30 day free trial and is very cheap if or when I chose to buy it. (I've had one glitch with MS Word so far). It doesn't look like you have to 'ungroupy' them to drag and drop. For Windows explorer you can grab a folder in one tab, drag it into the tab you want it in (which then opens) and then drop it where you want it to land.

Sweet. Thanks for letting me know. Gotta give it a try.
Thanks,

Micah
ex-programmer and devoted fan

Scrivener for Windows 3 HiDPI RC11
Version 2.9.9.11 Beta (1078055) 64-bit - 14 Oct 2020

Scrivener for Windows
Version 1.9.16.0 - 14 Nov 2019