[JH] Custom project templates don't work?

le
lexx
Platform: Windows

Tue May 05, 2020 6:43 pm Post

Hi!

I needed to create a new project template. I made a new empty project, made the necessary changes (added and assigned a folder of document templates and placed several templates there). Saved this project as a template.

When I tried to create a new project with this template - the start window don't close, but a new project with the assigned name appeared in the folder.

When I tried to open this project, the program said "this is an old format". OK, I agreed to convert it, but I still couldn't open it (again "old format").

andrewbond
Platform: Linux

Tue May 05, 2020 7:33 pm Post

I 've just created two new templates, created projects with both; as well as converting an old template and used it to create a new project. All have worked without issue.

I don't have any suggestions, just reporting what I've done since RC5 was released.
Fedora 33
CrossOver Version 20.0.4
Scrivener Version: 2.9.9.18 64-bit

le
lexx

Thu May 07, 2020 5:32 am Post

I tried to create a project from an empty template and immediately saved it as a new template. It still doesn't work.

Did someone else do it?

AussieDoc

Thu May 07, 2020 6:16 am Post

What version are you using?
Windows 10 Pro 20H2
Bought Scrivener 1.9.16.0 but loving 2.9.9.14 Beta
And I will write 500 words
And I will write 500 more...
:D

le
lexx

Thu May 07, 2020 7:25 am Post

AussieDoc wrote:What version are you using?

RC 5
Attachments
screen.png
screen.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 2552 times

EM
EMPisek

Thu May 07, 2020 11:35 am Post

lexx wrote:

RC 5

That doesn't look right. First it say what I'm supposing is Mar as the R is reversed and not May nor is it giving a day such as Sunday. :?:
Attachments
Scrivener RC5 expire.png
Scrivener RC5 expire.png (20.09 KiB) Viewed 2519 times
:arrow: I'm not just a tester,.. I'm a user :!:

rw
rwfranz

Thu May 07, 2020 11:52 am Post

EMPisek wrote:
lexx wrote:

RC 5

That doesn't look right. First it say what I'm supposing is Mar as the R is reversed and not May nor is it giving a day such as Sunday. :?:

Here's a snap of translate.google.com:
Russian31May2020Sunday.JPG
Russian31May2020Sunday.JPG (33.88 KiB) Viewed 2515 times

So, yes, that's RC5.
Just another user.

rw
rwfranz

Thu May 07, 2020 12:08 pm Post

lexx wrote:I tried to create a project from an empty template and immediately saved it as a new template. It still doesn't work.

Just tried to reproduce this, but was not successful.

What I did: After login, and the project creation/selection screen, I chose a "Blank" template.
I added two folders under research, and saved the thing as a template in a custom category (I chose the name "Empties" as the category)
Closed Scrivener, and opened it again, and the template showed up in the list. No special folder for it.

The "special folder" for templates that's set in "Projects" > "Special folders" is NOT the same as the folder where "Project templates" are stored. The templates that go in "Special folders" are Document templates, not templates for project creation.

Templates for project creation are saved (typically) in Scrivener's Application Support folder, which is by default at C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\LiteratureAndLatte\Scrivener\ProjectTemplates. You don't even need to put something into that field; it'll save them by default there.

Not sure that helps, though.
Just another user.

le
lexx

Fri May 08, 2020 1:33 am Post

rwfranz wrote:
EMPisek wrote:
lexx wrote:
RC 5

So, yes, that's RC5.

This is probably the peculiarity of Russian localization.

le
lexx

Fri May 08, 2020 1:35 am Post

rwfranz wrote:
lexx wrote:I tried to create a project from an empty template and immediately saved it as a new template. It still doesn't work.

Just tried to reproduce this, but was not successful.

What I did: After login, and the project creation/selection screen, I chose a "Blank" template.
I added two folders under research, and saved the thing as a template in a custom category (I chose the name "Empties" as the category)
Closed Scrivener, and opened it again, and the template showed up in the list. No special folder for it.

Please try creating a new project from this template. This is my problem

le
lexx

Sat May 09, 2020 7:10 am Post

I understood.

If you assign special folders (templates) in a project, and then save this project as a template, you will not be able to make a new project from it. Even if you remove the settings for special folders later.

I think this is a bug (at least in Russian localization)

krastev

Sat May 09, 2020 3:35 pm Post

lexx wrote:
rwfranz wrote:
EMPisek wrote:

So, yes, that's RC5.

This is probably the peculiarity of Russian localization.

I don't know if you are jokeing, guys, but that's not reversed R. Я is a tottaly diferent letter which is pronunced like ya in mayan
Krastev
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.16.0
Testing Scrivener Beta for Windows

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun May 10, 2020 5:14 am Post

Could you provide a zipped copy of a project that, when you select Save As Template..., produces this error? (I realize the error shows up later, when trying to create the new project from the saved template, but the issue seems to be with how the original project is saving, so the original project is what would be most helpful to see.) In a quick test I wasn't able to reproduce this issue even in the Russian localization, so it would be helpful to work with a project that we know is failing in your case. Thanks!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

le
lexx

Sun May 10, 2020 6:25 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Could you provide a zipped copy of a project that, when you select Save As Template..., produces this error? (I realize the error shows up later, when trying to create the new project from the saved template, but the issue seems to be with how the original project is saving, so the original project is what would be most helpful to see.) In a quick test I wasn't able to reproduce this issue even in the Russian localization, so it would be helpful to work with a project that we know is failing in your case. Thanks!

Sure. An example of such a project in the attachment
Attachments
Project.zip
(23.29 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

rw
rwfranz

Sun May 10, 2020 12:28 pm Post

I dl'ed the project sample, and was again unable to duplicate this bug. I set in project settings BOTH special folders, saved as a template, and produced several new projects with it. I tried this several times.

Shifted to Russian localization (I don't read Russian, but by the places and the dialogs I could tell what was what), and did the same thing, exactly as the OP mentioned. Assign special folders, save as template, and create from template.

Projects were created successfully, and seem to work.

Russian localization seems incomplete. "Title and Synopsis" are in English in the Outliner, as are a number of others. "Label" and "Status," however, are translated (at least, I see Cyrillic letters there).
Just another user.