[RC5] Copy/paste does not copy proper indentation

Ju
Jura
Platform: Windows

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:46 am Post

Hi Scrivener!

On Version: 2.9.9.5 Beta (909024) 64-bit, when I copy/paste, the line indentation is not properly copied over.

That probably sounds a bit too abstract to be helpful, so I've made a recording to show what I mean:

> Direct link to video (.mp4)

Let me know if I can give more information,

Have a nice day,

(I've searched the forum for duplicate issues but didn't find any. Let me know if I overlooked other topics in which this report better fits.)

JJ
JJSlote
Location: Unlogged bugs thru RC8:  t=61527 HTML clipboard miscode; 62407 Multiselect on edit

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:32 pm Post

I think this behavior is as we'd want it when the selection range begins within the boundary of the indentation. If we're copying a phrase within an indented paragraph, we probably don't want the indentation picked up on paste into another paragraph. If the selection range in the video had included the D above // code example , paste would have picked up the indent.

Rgds - Jerome

Ju
Jura

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:12 pm Post

JJSlote wrote:I think this behavior is as we'd want it when the selection range begins within the boundary of the indentation.

Thanks for your reply! But I disagree. When I copy two indented lines, I want them to show just as they are indented in the original source. I don't want to copy extra things, just to get the indentation right.

Previous beta versions did copy with the proper indentation, and not in the way you'd like.

ph
philmayes

Fri May 01, 2020 5:01 pm Post

I have been bugged by this, too. A quick way to reproduce it. Type three lines, no spaces:
qwe ENTER asd ENTER zxc ENTER
Select from a to z (include or exclude z; doesn't matter.)
Cut.
Move to end of document.
Paste.
Indentation is lost.

This appears to be an end-of-doc issue, which is a tricky area for coding: there is no paragraph marker entered by the user, but the code often needs one.

But it also happens in the middle.
Put some plain text in the clipboard.
In a new document, type:
qwe ENTER asd ENTER ENTER zxc
Place the cursor on the third (empty) line.
Paste.
The clipboard is pasted with no indentation.
My quick and dirty fix for this is to paste Crtl+shift+V.

Ju
Jura

Fri May 08, 2020 4:05 pm Post

I don't want to ask for too much, but I'd love to hear a reply from the Scrivener team. Because for me this issue breaks my copy/paste workflow. And is thus pretty serious, rather than a visual glitch or something.

I thought I already put time and effort into the opening post, but if you need more information I would happily provide it. :)

Thanks for listening/reading!

sh
shaun
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri May 08, 2020 5:29 pm Post

This is definitely a bug. It doesn't work like this in the Mac version (last I checked, anyway) or in any other word processor I've used.

And for me, if I select multiple lines, only the first line's indentation is lost.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue May 26, 2020 6:33 pm Post

shaun wrote:This is definitely a bug. It doesn't work like this in the Mac version (last I checked, anyway) or in any other word processor I've used.

And for me, if I select multiple lines, only the first line's indentation is lost.
Agreed it's a bug. It also doesn't work like this in Windows Scriv 1.9.
I’m just a customer.

Ju
Jura

Fri May 29, 2020 4:31 pm Post

Just as an update, the same issue is also present in RC6 (2.9.9.6 Beta (937253) 64-bit).